Sign in to follow this  
1256IHman

CRP hay value??

Have a question for you folks on here. I have a farm  that's a couple hundred miles away, they've opened up haying and grazing on crp acres due to drought. If I let someone cut, rake and bale this crp ground what would be a fair price either by bale or per acre to ask? Not looking to get rich of this but I should get something off it. Any ideas? This is a CP2 crp with big blue stem, little blue stem, some clover, wild flowers,  in it.

How good of hay is it?  In my part of the world its usually only good for filler or to blend off with other hay because when CRP is opened up for haying that means its already burnt up.  On the years that we have hayed CRP and paid it back, it still wasn't as good as regular hay because there is some dead material.

This ground isn't burned up, fortunately this farm has caught some rains that most of the area has missed, But its still crp hay, and its late enough in the year that most of it has gone to seed and isn't real fresh and green anymore. Just trying to get an idea of value per bale or per acre if they do all the work.

what does avg hay go for up there in your area? around here its around 50 to 60 for a 1500lb bale for just pasture hay, good brome, orchard grass etc....70 to 80, alfalfa 100 and thats if we have an avg season on weather, drought a couple yrs back it was 150 to 200 for avg pasture hay if you could even find any a lot was being trucked in from out of state

you can find it for less if you shop around 

Whats your hay worth?   Around here they pay what ever FSA is going to reduce your payment by. Some people want more and get it. I won't pay more than that 

you already made a contract for the government and now you want more.  Take it out of CRP  and see what you get.

• Like 2

During drought years the government will open CRP up to haying and grazing to help people get through the drought. Their payments are not reduced, it’s kind of like a disaster relief thing.

Neighbor had made bales of hay on his place a few years ago during one of these years. He didn't need it for his animals so sent it for mulch. All CRP or crep ground around here is 250+% weeds and the remaining is ok hay amungst it 

I have paid $10 a bale for 3x3 large squares that I made from standing 2nd cutting grass hay.  I would imagine tonnage on crp ground would be very high while quality very low.  Depending on need or demand $10 a bale would be my starting point.  Kind of depends on how much acreage or total bales we are talking also.

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

I have paid $10 a bale for 3x3 large squares that I made from standing 2nd cutting grass hay.  I would imagine tonnage on crp ground would be very high while quality very low.  Depending on need or demand $10 a bale would be my starting point.  Kind of depends on how much acreage or total bales we are talking also.

That's where I was thinking would be a good starting point. I figured they would have around $20/bale in it in their expenses of putting it up. I don't think 30-40 bucks/bale would be outta line.

54 minutes ago, 1256IHman said:

That's where I was thinking would be a good starting point. I figured they would have around $20/bale in it in their expenses of putting it up. I don't think 30-40 bucks/bale would be outta line.

how about donating it and writing it off 

2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

how about donating it and writing it off 

If you can't get the value of the fertilizer to replace the nutrients removed in the hay, you are better off leaving it stand. cab

50/50 and 40 a ton sell back.

• Like 1

That happened around here a few years back. You had to use or graze the hay yourself. No selling. I traded mine for a couple sides of beef.  

jerry

So trade for cash. What they don't know, don't hurt them.

Pretty sure you can’t sell it, we had a dry year in 2017 so they opened up the crp ground for haying, I offered one land owner something after I put the hay up and she said she couldn’t take any money.