Sign in to follow this  
Cummings1486

Added a few things to the 1256

4 minutes ago, Lars (midessa) said:

Just one thing to add to your list: the pto shield is missing

Actually have that, it’s up at the other farm. Just haven’t gotten around to get it and get it on. But you’re correct though! 

Looks nice!  Ready for some work!

40 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Looks nice!  Ready for some work!

Thank you! Hoping to do some field work with it this fall!

Nice looking tractor.    Did you put the year a round cab on it?  I noticed it’s one made for a 66 series.  

1 minute ago, nate said:

Nice looking tractor.    Did you put the year a round cab on it?  I noticed it’s one made for a 66 series.  

Thank you! We did. We ordered the cab brand new and put it on the tractor back in the 70s. Originally had the ac unit on the back as well but somewhere along the line it got taken off. I didn’t know they made the cabs for series specific? Learned something new today!

8 hours ago, Cummings1486 said:

Thank you! We did. We ordered the cab brand new and put it on the tractor back in the 70s. Originally had the ac unit on the back as well but somewhere along the line it got taken off. I didn’t know they made the cabs for series specific? Learned something new today!

the give away is the bump in the front crossbar and window. 06 and 56 Y A R cabs were straight across, and iirc the lower front side windows were different because of the shorter and narrower hood on the 06 and 56 series.

Your 1256 is a great looking tractor! 

2 hours ago, ny bill o said:

the give away is the bump in the front crossbar and window. 06 and 56 Y A R cabs were straight across, and iirc the lower front side windows were different because of the shorter and narrower hood on the 06 and 56 series.

Your 1256 is a great looking tractor! 

I’ll be darned! I had no idea! I have seen the straight across ones but didn’t give it much thought as to it was series specific. Learn something new here all the time! And thank you! It’s definitely my favorite one of the bunch!

39 minutes ago, Cummings1486 said:

I’ll be darned! I had no idea! I have seen the straight across ones but didn’t give it much thought as to it was series specific. Learn something new here all the time! And thank you! It’s definitely my favorite one of the bunch!

I had a Hinson cab from an 856 on my 966 for a while before I found a '66 series YAR cab. I had to shim the front up a little to make it "work".

My 2 favorite tractors and the last 2 working tractors I would sell are my 1456 and the 826 hydro. Just something about that series.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cummings1486 said:

I gotcha. I have heard of those cabs but haven’t seen many. Looks good on it!  And good luck finding it! I hope you do! Do you have the serial number for it or know if it’s last whereabouts? 

No I don't have the serial number but I do have the original owner's manual.  I was able to track it for two years after our auction but then it fell off the face of the earth.  That was nearly 40 years ago.

19 hours ago, hagan said:

JD i had a 71  856 and in the spring of 72 put a Mark IV roadmaster AC unit on it and it worked really good. You could lay a can of pop on the tray at the bottom of the windshield and point the vents towards it and it would keep it ice cold all day. Lay your lunch on the heater on the left back corner and it would keep your lunch warm. Many a great noon break running that tractor. It had the year A round cab and it was not too bad.

This was Eagle Air that added the ac to this cab and our 815 combine we had at that time.  Both units worked very well.  Sad thing is the 815 burned to the ground during wheat harvest that next summer.

20 minutes ago, JD Humm said:

No I don't have the serial number but I do have the original owner's manual.  I was able to track it for two years after our auction but then it fell off the face of the earth.  That was nearly 40 years ago.

That’s awesome you still have the original manual. Oh wow that’s been awhile. Don’t give up hope though. You never know. This was the case with our 1256. After it got sold I knew where it was for several years but then when the guy that bought it had his sale I lost track of it and never knew where it went. Little did I know it went East of here 20 miles. And 23 years later after his sale I found it and was able to bring it back home. It was nothing short of great luck and a miracle imo. Don’t give up, you still may find it! 

• Like 1