Added a few things to the 1256

Had alittle time to do some more work on the 1256. Added a straight pipe and sounds awesome. Added the original rear light set up for the year round cab and got them wired and working. To top it off put new 11 00 16 tires on the front. Had that size from the factory and somewhere along the line someone put 10 00 s on it and I wanted to keep it original. The 11s look so much better imo. Not much room between the sidewall and the stop on the the axle but it looks good. The only thing I need now to make it 100 percent original is the white tombstone hydraulic seat. Yeah I know, good luck finding one lol. 

657B5978-0DE9-426A-9294-C3A97CCC254C.jpeg

3C337750-2FE8-4DC0-82FC-71DB7F345FF3.jpeg

7166A7AA-5BEB-4544-A5AF-8E86D9E82126.jpeg

• Like 11

That’s a good looking 1256!!! Finding the white tombstone seat is going to be a challenge!! Being you have a cab, put a k&m white tombstone seat on it, not original, but pretty close! The 856 I got back, if I can’t find a good original, I’ll put a k&m on it!!!

6 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

That’s a good looking 1256!!! Finding the white tombstone seat is going to be a challenge!! Being you have a cab, put a k&m white tombstone seat on it, not original, but pretty close! The 856 I got back, if I can’t find a good original, I’ll put a k&m on it!!!

Thank you! And I agree! I know a guy that has a black original tombstone complete setup he took off a 1466 and I’ve been trying to get him to part with it but not having much luck lol. And I’ve looked at those, they do lol nice! If I can’t find an assembly that’s probably the route I’ll go. Just would like to find the hydraulic setup to have that. This tractor had it originally but someone took it out years ago. 

1 hour ago, Cummings1486 said:

Had alittle time to do some more work on the 1256. Added a straight pipe and sounds awesome. Added the original rear light set up for the year round cab and got them wired and working. To top it off put new 11 00 16 tires on the front. Had that size from the factory and somewhere along the line someone put 10 00 s on it and I wanted to keep it original. The 11s look so much better imo. Not much room between the sidewall and the stop on the the axle but it looks good. The only thing I need now to make it 100 percent original is the white tombstone hydraulic seat. Yeah I know, good luck finding one lol. 

657B5978-0DE9-426A-9294-C3A97CCC254C.jpeg

3C337750-2FE8-4DC0-82FC-71DB7F345FF3.jpeg

7166A7AA-5BEB-4544-A5AF-8E86D9E82126.jpeg

Nice unit. Brings back memories of my Dads 1256 with a narrow cab I would ride with him when i was tired I would lay behind the seat and sleep. The first time Dad let me drive by myself I was disking up a small field of left over squash. I was in heaven, I will never forget that day. I know the guy that owns the tractor, It's well taken care off.

• Like 3

Thank you! Awesome memories! Those are the best. Some of my best memories are with dad or grandpa on the tractor. And that’s cool that you know who has the tractor. Maybe someday you can buy it back

11.00-16 look good with 18.4-38 dualed up and on cab tractors so duals and cab is double bonus. You still using the 2355 loader on it? Wonder what happened to IH muffler that was on it in the older pics. 

30 minutes ago, Long Farms said:

11.00-16 look good with 18.4-38 dualed up and on cab tractors so duals and cab is double bonus. You still using the 2355 loader on it? Wonder what happened to IH muffler that was on it in the older pics. 

Hi Brian, I agree they definitely make it look good. Still have the 2355 loader for it But it’s actually been off since spring time. Took it off when I changed filters and fluids and did some other work on it and just haven’t had a reason to put it back on. It’ll probably end up back on it this fall. The one thing I do like about that loader is there’s enough room in the front that you can leave the weights on. Couldn’t do that with the old 2450 that we had on the 1486. The muffler that was actually on that tractor wasn’t an original IH one. It was an aftermarket one somebody put on it. When Grandpa bought that tractor new it had the straight pipe on it but then later on dad bought an oval muffler for it from I H and put it on. Somewhere along the line that one got taken off and that one got put on. I like the look of the straight pipe and the sound of it but the oval one that was on it originally looked sharp too. 

2 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

The ole girl looks really good Tom! Need me to store it for you?:D

Thanks Matt! Oh it’s got it’s own special spot in the shed! I’m afraid if I sent it out to you to store I’d never see it again! 😂😂. Thanks again for the light set up, turned out great!

1 minute ago, Cummings1486 said:

Thanks Matt! Oh it’s got it’s own special spot in the shed! I’m afraid if I sent it out to you to store I’d never see it again! 😂😂. Thanks again for the light set up, turned out great!

Yeah I just had to give you a little grief. The lights look good, glad they worked.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Cummings1486 said:

Thank you! And I agree! I know a guy that has a black original tombstone complete setup he took off a 1466 and I’ve been trying to get him to part with it but not having much luck lol. And I’ve looked at those, they do lol nice! If I can’t find an assembly that’s probably the route I’ll go. Just would like to find the hydraulic setup to have that. This tractor had it originally but someone took it out years ago. 

Oh, you need the hydraulic suspension assembly? Those should be available in the bigger salvage yards I would sure think?!

1 hour ago, shot_gun_red said:

Your 11.00 tires look to have 8" wheels .

10" wheel don"t suck sidewalls in as much. All my 1256-1456 have 10" wheels .

Nice 12

Thank you! That would make sense. I didn’t think about a difference in that respect. They do work but there’s not much gap between the two

1 hour ago, Farmall1066 said:

Oh, you need the hydraulic suspension assembly? Those should be available in the bigger salvage yards I would sure think?!

Yeah, I’ve called a couple of local ones with no success but I may call a few others out of state and see if I can’t find one 

Nice looking 1256. Back when I was in high school I got to pilot a new at the time open station 1256 FARMALL for the farmer I worked for. What a beast. Fond memories, and the beginning stages of my hearing loss which I have now, I’m sure. Hearing protection back then? What was that all about? Lol.... if I could turn back time knowing what I know now, I’d have done a lot of things different. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

Nice looking 1256. Back when I was in high school I got to pilot a new at the time open station 1256 FARMALL for the farmer I worked for. What a beast. Fond memories, and the beginning stages of my hearing loss which I have now, I’m sure. Hearing protection back then? What was that all about? Lol.... if I could turn back time knowing what I know now, I’d have done a lot of things different. 

Thank you ! That’s awesome. I remember my dad telling me the same thing when we bought that tractor new. At the time we had a 706 And putting that 1256 next to that 706 was quite intimidating. 706 was a good tractor but the 12 like you said is just a beast. And it’s funny you mention that because dad always says the reason his hearing is shot It’s because of Listening to that straight pipe all day with no hearing protection lol. And I can certainly agree with turning back the clock knowing what you know to do things differently. But hey that’s what makes this ride interesting

2 hours ago, Cummings1486 said:

Yeah, I’ve called a couple of local ones with no success but I may call a few others out of state and see if I can’t find one 

Try Waters Tractor, they are in Washington, but I’ve got some good parts from them, they ship like anyone else!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, JD Humm said:

Nice 1256!  Reminds me a lot of dad's 1256. 

1256.jpg.a2d426ad4cb2d5139cd0fa96d3c6c01d.jpg

Thank you! That is a nice 1256 too! Was that a factory cab?

35 minutes ago, Cummings1486 said:

Thank you! That is a nice 1256 too! Was that a factory cab?

No that was an Exel cab, it was Exel's version of the IH diamond cab IH offered for the 56 series tractors, Exel made them for IH.  The only difference between dad's cab and the IH versions were the IH versions were welded together and painted white,  and this cab was bolted together and painted red.  The IH version also had one more step to get into the cabs.  Dad put this cab on that tractor in 1971, and had air conditioning added to it in 1975.  We got out of row crop farming in 1982, this 1256 was sold at our auction.  I have been trying to track it down ever since.

1 hour ago, JD Humm said:

No that was an Exel cab, it was Exel's version of the IH diamond cab IH offered for the 56 series tractors, Exel made them for IH.  The only difference between dad's cab and the IH versions were the IH versions were welded together and painted white,  and this cab was bolted together and painted red.  The IH version also had one more step to get into the cabs.  Dad put this cab on that tractor in 1971, and had air conditioning added to it in 1975.  We got out of row crop farming in 1982, this 1256 was sold at our auction.  I have been trying to track it down ever since.

I gotcha. I have heard of those cabs but haven’t seen many. Looks good on it!  And good luck finding it! I hope you do! Do you have the serial number for it or know if it’s last whereabouts? 

• Like 1

Nice 1256!

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, JD Humm said:

JD i had a 71  856 and in the spring of 72 put a Mark IV roadmaster AC unit on it and it worked really good. You could lay a can of pop on the tray at the bottom of the windshield and point the vents towards it and it would keep it ice cold all day. Lay your lunch on the heater on the left back corner and it would keep your lunch warm. Many a great noon break running that tractor. It had the year A round cab and it was not too bad.

• Like 1