Sign in to follow this  
JD Humm

DT530, DT570 Navistar engines

Did either of these engines ever make it into pulling tractors or were they not suited for making horrendous amounts of horsepower like the DT 466 was??

These were built when Detroit got there hands on them also along with the late model 466's. My understanding is early 530's and 466's the same year used the same block. I've never heard of anyone running them in pulling tractors i know the late model 466's the head isn't as good as the early IH (1992 down) they changed up the ports on them and they won't flow as well and they are not a easy bolt in like the early ones, one easy way to tell is the injection pumps are mounted higher on a late model engine, that and the fact you can bore and stroke a 466 out pretty big with custom parts that will hold better than stock is the big reasons why you she the old style 466 blocks being used for pulling and not the later ones. You could get the 530 in some AGCO Allis tractors like a 9785 not sure about the 570 my understanding it was more for trucks. There are some guys on here that know more than i do on the subject we had a post kinda like yours not to long ago. Dale560 can tell you more about it i'm sure, he was the one that pointed out to me that the AGCO allis tractors used them in another post recently about a tractor

• Like 1

That is a common misconception. That Detroit had some influence on these engines.  They were actually designed by Navistar and rebadged to other companies. They didn’t use the exact same bore and stroke as the original 466 but were a good improvement. Design was changed to make it a more modern design