Sign in to follow this  
vtfireman85

Kubota L3800

My FIL is buying a used L3800 with a host of implements from a 5’finish mower to a backhoe, York take back blade, loader and pallet forks. There’s more I am forgetting. He called to ask what I thought, I said BUY! 
any one with any experience? I was contemplating an 855JD but with this next door I may wait. 

• Haha 1

We have an older kubota at moms place. Dt245 iirc. Handy lil tractor. Biggest drawback on it is no power steering. Without front wheel assist it would not be near as handy as it is. Its around 24 hp iirc. 3 cyl diesel.

Never used the L series kubota, but know a couple of people that have them and they really like them

Dad had an L3630?  (I think that's what it was), was 4 wd, had cab with ac and heat, diff lock and a Kubota quick attach loader.  Very sweet little tractor, easy for dad to get in and out of.  My late BIL bought it new in the early 2000's.

What transmission does it have? I have an 1984 L275 gear drive that just runs and runs. I also have a 2005 L3130 with the hydro transmission set up as my backhoe tractor. It has been a good tractor also. I have never taken the backhoe off of it, I have it set up with a thumb and front hydraulic ports for a grapple, power angle blade and four in one bucket.

I used to run a L4200 with the glideshift transmission, you can powershift through all gears, but as a loader tractor it takes some getting used to do. It had a shuttle, but using the clutch in tight spaces was tricky since there was a lag from letting out the pedal and the clutch engaged.

I would say, buy it !

Buy.  Kubota is #1 with compact tractors for a reason.  The L are fairly simple and really reliable units.  3800 is nice size.  Not sooo light like at 2800 fro example.

He will enjoy using it....being its the fil....maybe say they are junk and get for self?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CC_Ranger said:

What transmission does it have? I have an 1984 L275 gear drive that just runs and runs. I also have a 2005 L3130 with the hydro transmission set up as my backhoe tractor. It has been a good tractor also. I have never taken the backhoe off of it, I have it set up with a thumb and front hydraulic ports for a grapple, power angle blade and four in one bucket.

I used to run a L4200 with the glideshift transmission, you can powershift through all gears, but as a loader tractor it takes some getting used to do. It had a shuttle, but using the clutch in tight spaces was tricky since there was a lag from letting out the pedal and the clutch engaged.

I would say, buy it !

hard to stay off the clutch in loader situations and the kobota clutches arent very big. Had a shuttle shift kobota traded it for a hydro.. Bullet proof tractor. i think mine was a 42 hp.

This one is a hydro, good for lots of stuff, though I think the Kubota hydro control sucks. Lotsa goodies too so it should be good. 250 ish hours 

• Like 1

Cannot say what the hydro control is on the L,😵 but B would be a bit of a pain to me to mow all day with. Was a rocker for the right foot push with your toe to go ahead and heal to back up. Good for small loader jobs. But no way to use steering brakes as they where the same foot as the rocker. But as far as tough never heard of any troubles with them.

Leaving in about an hour to go get the new Kubota. Had the snowmobile trailer hooked to my FIL’s truck for some of the lighter implements , he Finally got home and went to check lights took some checking but I discovered the chipmunks had packed the toung full of nest and eaten the wires . So at 11pm there I was fixing trailer wiring🤬  now it’s off to the races. 

Have a safe trip getting it. Kubota made a good compact tractor imo. Will be looking for pics of it.

On 7/31/2020 at 3:34 PM, iowaboy1965 said:

We have an older kubota at moms place. Dt245 iirc. Handy lil tractor. Biggest drawback on it is no power steering. Without front wheel assist it would not be near as handy as it is. Its around 24 hp iirc. 3 cyl diesel.

We bought a new L305DT in 81 and it was indestructible. Ours had power steering and a loader.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Leaving in about an hour to go get the new Kubota. Had the snowmobile trailer hooked to my FIL’s truck for some of the lighter implements , he Finally got home and went to check lights took some checking but I discovered the chipmunks had packed the toung full of nest and eaten the wires . So at 11pm there I was fixing trailer wiring🤬  now it’s off to the races. 

I really want to recommend an electrician to you.......

• Haha 2

All loaded up

065A4ED8-C398-4F28-B82F-263A012440A4.jpeg

F847E9DA-1136-4E9C-BB27-856514629ABE.jpeg

6D07004B-1BFB-4614-8611-8333D79E421F.jpeg

• Like 6

looks like a good outfit

have a safe trip!

• Thanks 1

Nice looking outfit. Have a safe trip home.

• Thanks 1

Looks mint

The petal for a L hydro is nice.  Then has a manual handle too for mowing etc

• Like 1

My son has a M series, bought new several years ago. No problems with it, A/C still blows super cold. He said they've had excellent dealership support so far as oil filters and such. He says it has plenty of power to handle the round baler or the small square baler.

Nick's Kubota.jpg

• Like 2