by a crop dusting plane! Was combining oats last week when the corn field next to me was being dusted by one of our local dare devil pilots. Those guys are fun to watch. I thought he was going to take his landing gear off on my grain tank extension a couple times, seemed real close. I am sure there was plenty of room to spare, but the first time he flew over me it scared me as I didn't know he was there. After that I just tried to stay on the windrows as I watched him. He is kinda hard to see in the pictures, but I didn't have a lot of time to zoom in while combining and trying to get pictures. Three pictures with the plane and two of the 1680 just for fun.

KIMG1705.jpg

KIMG1703.jpg

KIMG1702.jpg

KIMG1692.jpg

KIMG1695.jpg

• Like 10

Had the same thing yesterday. I could see the guys face. Makes me think of what it must have been like in WW2 with dozens of them buzzing around. And shooting at you. How did your oats do?

My buddies relative had a Harvard and a Corsair and would routinely buzz him out on the farm and yes he commented on how scary it was on the first strife

14 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

Had the same thing yesterday. I could see the guys face. Makes me think of what it must have been like in WW2 with dozens of them buzzing around. And shooting at you. How did your oats do?

These went 106.

17 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

These went 106.

Wow. Mine did 83. The last few years they've been light. Only 30# again this year. Lots of straw. When I started putting in oats in the early 90's 38# was the norm. What brand seed do you use?

Wish I’d had a camera or modern cell phone with me about 15 years ago maybe a bit more. I was out harrowing a field just a mile east of home one spring when out of no where here came this big ol clumsy twin engine piston powered  military plane. I don’t know what it was for sure but he circled around me on that field for close to a half a hour. They’d fly about 5 miles north then come back and bank right overtop of me. There was times I’m sure he was no more then 50’ off the ground. Could hear it quite clearly over the tractor. Was almost to the point where I was ready to fold up and get out of that field lol.  They eventually took off and never did come back again. Some sort of training from the Cold Lake base I imagine but have no idea what was really going on.  The Cf-18 jets from cold lake used to do training missions up to PA. They’d do touch and go landings at the airport then boot it back home again.  Kind of fun to watch. 

The first thing I thought of was “North by Northwest” then the tanker explosion.

Then cedar mentioned WW2 dogfighting, got me thinking of WW1 and the small fighters and the faces you would see closeup and then flying no chutes.

nice pics.

• Like 1

We're close to the airport here at work and when they train with the c-130 it looks like they hardly miss the tree tops or the cupolas on the barns, i always wanted to see a crop duster those are rare as hen teeth here. Most people stop and look if they here a plane, ive gotten so use to it i hardly pay them any mind unless its something odd. One of the guys was on are other farm down the road and found a small rubbermaid with octane testers and a couple screwdrivers in it i guess someone left it on the wing  

Took the day off to make hay the other day. Crop duster scared the crap outa me doing a high power turn right above me. Loud and all of a sudden he was there. They are running pretty hot n heavy right now.

Neighbors dad used to rent what is now our place. House was across the road. He talked about an old crop duster in the 50s that would buzz his dad and scare him pretty good. Was known to come in to reload trailing a 1/4 mile of telephone wire from time to time.

6 hours ago, Dasnake said:

The first thing I thought of was “North by Northwest” then the tanker explosion.

Then cedar mentioned WW2 dogfighting, got me thinking of WW1 and the small fighters and the faces you would see closeup and then flying no chutes.

nice pics.

My moms a huge Carey Grant fan. I'll bet I've seen that movie 100 times. Along with bringing up baby, sharade, father goose, and monkey business. 

Sorry for the derail 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

These went 106.

That's a great yield.  We haven't raised oats since the early to mid 90's.  It seemed like at the end we had a hard time getting a good test weight.

What do you have for a windrower to cut oats?  Dad had an Owatonna windrower that we used back then, running the windrower was a job I never did.  I remember a few times when we had rust in the oats and it looked like a miserable job...windrower and operator were red at the end of the day.

10 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

by a crop dusting plane! Was combining oats last week when the corn field next to me was being dusted by one of our local dare devil pilots. Those guys are fun to watch. I thought he was going to take his landing gear off on my grain tank extension a couple times, seemed real close. I am sure there was plenty of room to spare, but the first time he flew over me it scared me as I didn't know he was there. After that I just tried to stay on the windrows as I watched him. He is kinda hard to see in the pictures, but I didn't have a lot of time to zoom in while combining and trying to get pictures. Three pictures with the plane and two of the 1680 just for fun.

KIMG1705.jpg

KIMG1703.jpg

KIMG1702.jpg

KIMG1692.jpg

KIMG1695.jpg

Decent chance that my boys loaded that one. 

• Like 1

We used to have b52s from Minot and Grand Forks fly over on training runs. Once I was mowing hay with 60 jd. They had a course to fly and drop sand bags at targets. Never heard b52 coming it just started to shade . I looked up and plane is about 500 feet or less above me.  They banked a bit and I could see crew member looking out window at me and could see his flight suit insignia. Then it got very loud as plane passed over.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, IH Forever said:

That's a great yield.  We haven't raised oats since the early to mid 90's.  It seemed like at the end we had a hard time getting a good test weight.

What do you have for a windrower to cut oats?  Dad had an Owatonna windrower that we used back then, running the windrower was a job I never did.  I remember a few times when we had rust in the oats and it looked like a miserable job...windrower and operator were red at the end of the day.

My windrow guy quit about 20 years ago. He ran a couple 4000's. He got an oat fungus or something like that in his lungs and just about died. I bought a 13' head for my 6620 and have been direct cutting since he quit. A few times thru the years I hit it with roundup first. Really flows thru the combine then.

As a kid dad would send me out to cut oats. Everything including me were covered with that rust dust. Funny I can still breath.

59 minutes ago, dale560 said:

We used to have b52s from Minot and Grand Forks fly over on training runs. Once I was mowing hay with 60 jd. They had a course to fly and drop sand bags at targets. Never heard b52 coming it just started to shade . I looked up and plane is about 500 feet or less above me.  They banked a bit and I could see crew member looking out window at me and could see his flight suit insignia. Then it got very loud as plane passed over.

We used to get buzzed by B-1 bombers.  I assume they were training for evasive under the radar runs because they flew barely off the ground and fast.  Most of the time you wouldn’t even see them until they flew over your head and blew you out of the tractor.  If you were lucky enough to see one coming and right in it’s path you could make out the pilots.  

16 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

We used to get buzzed by B-1 bombers.  I assume they were training for evasive under the radar runs because they flew barely off the ground and fast.  Most of the time you wouldn’t even see them until they flew over your head and blew you out of the tractor.  If you were lucky enough to see one coming and right in it’s path you could make out the pilots.  

This is what happened Exactly. The b52 was just lumbering in the air so it was a lot slower than B1. The other day a few neighbors were complaining about air force or state guard units flying night time helicopter missions. Low to the groundand fast. They then land in state owned land usually pasture with the cows in there yet.

Hijack.....

1969 mom and I went to san diego and then TJ for our honeymoon not a sound of anything in the air anytime, in 1976 we took the kids down and visited the same areas and it was like the chopper scenes in apocalypse now, fast forward again to 1988 and constant chattering 50 feet off the ground all night long, pretty impressive.

Talking of seeing the pilots, does anyone wave to train engineers anymore when trains rumble by, I still do.

A couple Dusters were flying nearly in tandem this morning...enjoy watching & hearing the engines roar when maneuvering above the fields.

• Like 1
On 7/30/2020 at 11:29 PM, cedar farm said:

Wow. Mine did 83. The last few years they've been light. Only 30# again this year. Lots of straw. When I started putting in oats in the early 90's 38# was the norm. What brand seed do you use?

Those were Goliath, did some for hire today that weighed 38 pounds and went 135! They were also Goliath. I think that may be the best oats I have ever combined. 100 bu usually is a great crop.

1 hour ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Those were Goliath, did some for hire today that weighed 38 pounds and went 135! They were also Goliath. I think that may be the best oats I have ever combined. 100 bu usually is a great crop.

I love combining oats, but hate driving truck if dads combining lol. He used to grow oats on the furthest fields from home. Now were no more than a mile from the bins so its alot more manageable. 100 is pretty common around here. 135 is a very good yield. We've had up to 170 before. I had 2 combines on the field and mom and dad were each hauling with the trucks. I would have both combines full by time a truck would pull up. Dump and fill both again for the next truck. That was a long night lol

What kind of straw is on those goliath oats? Seems like all the varieties we are getting here are getting shorter and shorter straw. Not good for us cattle guys

Getting buzzed is a regular thing down here in the mid south. We got more bugs. I use to scout cotton for an entomologist and things got fun when a farmer didnt spray when we told him and we had returned days later to check the fields; and here comes the plane. Got many a dose of methyl parathion or some type of pyrethroids when i was 20 or so.

We used to have ag planes spray for us in the late 60's and early 70's when it was too wet for ground sprayers.  Back then they had no GPS so dad and I volunteered to flag for them.  I always LOVED doing that.  Nothing like a 600hp ag plane coming straight at you 10 feet or less off the ground.  They all had radial engines back then, sure loved to listen to them pull up and turn at the the ends of the fields.  

Power lines aren't the only hazard a ag pilot has to face while flying. A friend that lives and flies in the Texas panhandle took a couple of bird strikes about a week ago. Said it scared the crap out of him.

bird strike-seth.JPG