Super M-TA generator

Red Collector

Surely this is old hat to a lot of you, but I am going to tear into a generator for the first time. Hoping brushes and bearings will do it. Is it pretty straightforward, or are there any tips to pass along? How much wear is acceptable on the commutator? I just popped the band off, and it looks fairly worn down to me, but I'm hoping a little shine on it will be good enough. Thanks for any pointers.

Make sure who ever does the commutator turning just take enough for clean up ,polish tool mark out ,and that they cut down the insulation between the commentator sections ,ther are some you tube on commutator , it a Farmall generator. In video 
ive got my rebuild kit from eBay  happ y with it not much money . 

I did check armature with VOM  , ON THE FARMALL c generator resistance check . There videos on you tube how to do this also . 

Thanks for the tips, guys. I will bring the armature to a shop to get checked/ commutator turned. Thanks also for the video, Dennis... it's a coincidence that you would post a video by "Tubalcain", I just happened to find him on You Tube about a week ago, and binge watched several videos about Atlas/ Craftsman lathes. I enjoy his videos; I believe he is a former teacher, so he does a very good job conveying his message. Also, looks like he lives within an hour or so of me.

16 minutes ago, Red Collector said:

Thanks for the tips, guys. I will bring the armature to a shop to get checked/ commutator turned. Thanks also for the video, Dennis... it's a coincidence that you would post a video by "Tubalcain", I just happened to find him on You Tube about a week ago, and binge watched several videos about Atlas/ Craftsman lathes. I enjoy his videos; I believe he is a former teacher, so he does a very good job conveying his message. Also, looks like he lives within an hour or so of me.

It will run great when your done , polarize it also 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 10:00 PM, MinnesotaFarmall said:

How does one go about polarizing a gen? Seems like there is a lot of conflicting data. 

theres conflicting data because there are two different types of generators with a different procedures. The quality Delcos are simple - momentary power to armature. others throw away and put an alternator on it ✔️

ihpol.jpg

• Like 2