Broken 414 rocker arm -again and again, and again, and again!

17 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

Why would a planed head make any difference in the end it comes down to valve tappet clearance planing the head would be a mute point 

shortening only needed to be done if you run out of adjustment if valves sit tall and head was planed excessively

On 8/3/2020 at 6:36 AM, Matt Kirsch said:

To be fair, you only mentioned rockers in your very short reply, nothing about the entire valve train. It kind of implied that putting the stronger rockers from a truck engine in was the solution to the problem of breaking rockers.

Thats all I said because thats the part that is stronger.   They arent just two flats pinch welded together ,   they are two flats with a "wing" if you will on top pinch welded together    this design lends itself to less flex and fatigue also creates a channel to send oil to where its needed. I dont have a picture but just google it and you will see what I'm talking about.  These are a "cheap" stepup for tractor pulling if you wont spend the bux for roller rockers. 

34 minutes ago, Killer Red Mater said:

Thats all I said because thats the part that is stronger.   They arent just two flats pinch welded together ,   they are two flats with a "wing" if you will on top pinch welded together    this design lends itself to less flex and fatigue also creates a channel to send oil to where its needed. I dont have a picture but just google it and you will see what I'm talking about.  These are a "cheap" stepup for tractor pulling if you wont spend the bux for roller rockers. 

Those are the ones my combine engine had and they still snapped off go look at the pic I posted earlier

1 hour ago, ksfarmdude said:

Those are the ones my combine engine had and they still snapped off go look at the pic I posted earlier

Those look similar yes but my truck ones are beefier (I have stacks of them from engines Ive torn apart )  I throw in the iron a lot of parts because I dont wanna have 100 sets of whatever.   I literally have 20 sets of rods , did have complete rocker assemblies for all those engines and all kinds of related parts and fastner hardware.  buckets and buckets of stuff ................. starting to dump it in the iron wagon 

I know on my 966 that’s turboed it bent a few rocker arms over the last few years. I think they are just getting fatigued from age and looked just like the ones you have there. I ended up the last time getting a whole rocker arm assembly off a 466 and they are a lot heavier.