Restoring my 1466 and in need of a new front grill. Plenty available online in plastic or steel but they don't seem to match what is currently on the tractor. The one I have is definitely metal of some sort (I assure you) but it has the spring tab to hold it in. The new ones out there are either plastic with the spring or they are metal with bolts holding it in. I'd like to get metal with the spring. 

Thoughts?

the Plastic 86 series grilles are definitely better they stay latched and don't fall out like the old metal ones did

Been told the used cast aluminum ones from the parts yard around here were worth around $400 bucks. I like the metal one a lot better than the plastic,  and definitely better than the new plastic ones. But I'm not sure I like it 400 bucks much. Knock on wood I havent lost any either.

Just what I hear, I've never needed one.

To my knowledge the metal one, original style, is not available anywhere other than salvage. You are going to have to get the 86 series plastic one. They are the correct look, just not metal. No one will know the difference unless they actually get up close and personal. Only other option is to buy a tractor to get one, over the years we have acquired several that way. The after market plastic ones are really close, but not close enough for a purist not to notice. Have to buy an IH one.

I once had to buy a new plastic after market grill for my 1975 1066. The grill that came with the tractor when I bought it was  broken / damaged. The brand new aftermarket grill I bought for it came from Anderson Tractor Supply in Bluffton, OH. It was not a super exact match to the original factory grill, but close enough that I was very satisfied with it and at a reasonable price. It looked great, and as some of you know I was pretty fussy about the “cosmetics” on my tractors. Sorry but I don’t remember the maker’s name of the grill I bought there. 

I had to get a new grille for my 72 1066 and I had to get plastic because I couldn’t be find a metal one and it looked wonderful you would never tell unless you were standing a foot away from it

• Like 1

Guessing it was my lucky day as the piece that was broken off the grill was found between the grill and the radiator. If I followed the posts correctly, sounds like the original metal grills with the tabs were aluminum. So I may try my hand at aluminum mig welding with argon gas or bring it to a machine shop I use to see if they can work their magic. This was I can keep the restoration as close to original as possible.

Thanks for the posts.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, NCIH1466 said:

Guessing it was my lucky day as the piece that was broken off the grill was found between the grill and the radiator. If I followed the posts correctly, sounds like the original metal grills with the tabs were aluminum. So I may try my hand at aluminum mig welding with argon gas or bring it to a machine shop I use to see if they can work their magic. This was I can keep the restoration as close to original as possible.

Thanks for the posts.

Wow your sure going the extra mile I would never use a metal grille again after I see how nice the plastic ones are 

All of the plastic ones I've seen from the aftermarket were the wrong color and easily differentiated from the originals. That said, our 1086 has a  new plastic one.