9 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

I use to rent out 2 750s back in the 90s and was delivering one to a neighbor and the farm he wanted it at had a gate that you went straight off a 90 degree corner on a gravel road. It was getting dark in the evening and we were approaching the corner when I noticed lights on a car coming toward the corner from the other direction, off the corner I went to beat the oncoming car with all being fine. Went to pick it up a couple days later, took about 3 tries to get it between them gate posts in the daylight and rubbed as well. Guess I should have waited till dark to get it.    :lol:

a 1590 behind a 5088 will shear a gate post off quickly, we have 12 foot gates here and its a pain but we have a 10ft kasco 3 point seeder and you better be dead nuts straight or your rubbing paint at the least

Wow my biggest takeaway from this whole thing is how hard those drills must pull. I thought if need be I could get away with the 806 on one. Guess I was wrong 😂😂

2 hours ago, Bdse25 said:

Wow my biggest takeaway from this whole thing is how hard those drills must pull. I thought if need be I could get away with the 806 on one. Guess I was wrong 😂😂

Its not the pull but the weight................The Tye's here weren't bad, but honestly they are just a glorified conventional drill IMO..............Deeres on the other hand are heavy, which is why I wouldn't have one with the dolly wheels as your just pulling it, no downforce on the tractor, and in hills with a tractor that isn't big enough that would be trouble.  But even with a 2pt, a 806 would may work, would need duals, and alot of weight.  I put the 1456 on the 750 for a time, wouldn't want to do it on very steep slopes, was not enough iron ahead of the drill.  I did a custom job one time where as the old saying goes, even the crows couldn't stand up straight on the slopes, and I felt 100% fine in the 5288 with duals and front weights and 2pt on the drill.  There was slopes on that farm that I put my foot on the small bars across the front window on each side of the dash to hold myself in the seat going across those contours.  

We pulled our lilliston with a 5140 MFD maxxum . It was a handful in marginal ground either a really steep spot or a soft spot was trouble. Our 1586 with duals on the other hand did slightly better because of the extra weight

I have pulled my 750s, single not in tandem, with my 4020s and bigger and we have some hills. Got 2 hills that my custom hire anhydrous guy can't make it up with his 8420 50 inch dualed with 11 shank applicator, he has to go down only a few passes. Same when I plant & combine and back when we use to till. When I was renting the 750s uot they were pulled with everthing from 350 HP articulates to a farmall 400. The neighbors biggest tractor was a 400 and his farm was flat to a slight slope and he asked if his 400 would do it. told him one way to find out. Had good loaded 14.9s, 2nd gear, 42 acres was a long day. Mine have dolly wheels, 2pt rare as the dollies are closer to openers on for better following of contours on sharp breaking areas.

1 hour ago, 1480x3 said:

I have pulled my 750s, single not in tandem, with my 4020s and bigger and we have some hills. Got 2 hills that my custom hire anhydrous guy can't make it up with his 8420 50 inch dualed with 11 shank applicator, he has to go down only a few passes. Same when I plant & combine and back when we use to till. When I was renting the 750s uot they were pulled with everthing from 350 HP articulates to a farmall 400. The neighbors biggest tractor was a 400 and his farm was flat to a slight slope and he asked if his 400 would do it. told him one way to find out. Had good loaded 14.9s, 2nd gear, 42 acres was a long day. Mine have dolly wheels, 2pt rare as the dollies are closer to openers on for better following of contours on sharp breaking areas.

Neighbors use a 4640 that is weighted and dualled on their dolly 750 and run flatter terrain and they get pushed around in it.  I am not saying it can't be done, all I am saying is with the weight and our terrain here, I wouldn't.  They like the dolly because they can move it with their dually farm truck if needed.

The one that was here was actually a pintle 750, I modified a 2 pt off a 7000 planter to go on where the pintle bolted in the tongue.  It was carried lower on the 2pt arms than the Deere factory 2pt, but I liked it as I could lift the drill higher going in and out of fields and for going up some of the knarly farm lanes here.

3 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Neighbors use a 4640 that is weighted and dualled on their dolly 750 and run flatter terrain and they get pushed around in it.  I am not saying it can't be done, all I am saying is with the weight and our terrain here, I wouldn't.  They like the dolly because they can move it with their dually farm truck if needed.

The one that was here was actually a pintle 750, I modified a 2 pt off a 7000 planter to go on where the pintle bolted in the tongue.  It was carried lower on the 2pt arms than the Deere factory 2pt, but I liked it as I could lift the drill higher going in and out of fields and for going up some of the knarly farm lanes here.

Hmmm ok so from what I’ve read here it seems like a Deere might be the way to go.  I’ll have to keep my eyes open this fall

18 minutes ago, Bdse25 said:

Hmmm ok so from what I’ve read here it seems like a Deere might be the way to go.  I’ll have to keep my eyes open this fall

i know they're more money on the price tag but it will save down the road on more money and headaches 

On 7/29/2020 at 10:35 AM, hobbyfarm said:

I have been renting an Esch 12 ft drill that turns sideways for transport like a corn planter.  This has 5.5 inch spacing so I am not sure how many discs etc are in the ground vs what you are looking at.  My 5250 with fluid in the rear would not pull it up a pretty good hill without the fwa engaged.  This is one of those hills you can't dump a round Bale out on without it rolling away.  Im guessing if you are on contours or level ground you will be ok but not going back and forth up and down a hill planting.  Just my little experience.

i've seen the esch how do you like it ?

35 minutes ago, 88power said:

i've seen the esch how do you like it ?

Short of my old neighbors tye it is all I know.  Has some nice features.  The folding is really nice.  You can see from the seat the seed box level and if a row is plugged.  Real easy to adjust seed flow and seems to be spot on.  Did a nice job.  So far I have only planted 10 acres of oats and 20 of sudangrass with it.  I plan to plant about 30 acres of triticale in the fall.  I have had good stands.   The stand I scratched with the disc seemed to be a little better then the straight no till with all kinds of trash on the ground.  We are only doing about 80 acres and most is in grass.

1 hour ago, 88power said:

i know they're more money on the price tag but it will save down the road on more money and headaches 

Something like a drill you need something that has parts commonly available..........A local had a Marliss? I believe it was, he didn't have it long, claimed you couldn't get parts for it easily, ended up with a C/IH drill and did tillage.  

And if you get a drill, put a monitor on it with the seed sensors.............well worth it.