Comparison of Side by Side Utility vehicles

I have a 2012 Kubota RTV900. It has 2500 hours on it. Traded a 2006 Polaris Ranger on it, I couldn't make that switch fast enough. The Ranger had 1400 hours on it and I couldn't keep it running, stranded my parents several times on various parts of the farm. It also needed a complete rebuild of the front end when it left. The RTV, I have had to change the fan belt. Other than oil changes and the 50hr greasing is all the maintenance we have done.

I would agree with Missouri Mule on the complaints on the RTV though. We did the exact same fuel filter change! I will add, that the ground clearance and ride on the RTV models is not the best. But Kubota is supposed to have improved some of that with the new RTVX models. Also, it is heavy. A plus and minus. Gets stuck easier than the ranger types, but can handle (and survive) much more work than a ranger type.

But I love my Kubota RTV, you couldn't get me to give it up. Use it like another tractor on the farm. My brother just bought one after using the one at the farm, and just loves his as well.

Here is our fleet.  First one has 22,000 miles but it’s tired and I’m about ready to put it down.  2nd one is an older diesel and it’s only job is to spray around farm sites and shelter belts.  And if you want a true side by side workhorse and there is no better one the a toolcat.  I have too many Polaris products in the past to consider one.  Plus I road with friend during a crop touring session last month in one and it was the loudest damn thing I ever been around when it comes to UTVs .  Never have been around any others.  I just go with gator because the service from my salesman and dealer is a lot better then some of the 3rd rate shops around here.  

8A2B2FF3-B7D2-4439-AD99-B1328DD53E67.jpeg

3C683C5D-1E3A-421A-8AB7-690E8674FA7C.jpeg

4555FFB0-8FA9-45B9-8376-E112631ADE0E.jpeg

4 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Always thought those 3 cylinders were pretty good engines............22k huh.  Looks pretty good in the pictures  

Picture is deceiving.  You wouldn’t take it for a thousand if you saw it in person.  It’s just slowly dying.  It’s had some electrical issues for awhile.  Transmission is starting  to give out.  Doesn’t start very good. Last time we put a starter in it we had to machine a sleeve for one of the bolt holes because it was worn oblong.  I suppose all of it could be fixed but at some point you just have to mail it in.

One other thing to consider, if you have row crops make sure you can get down the rows , whatever width you plant because the utv's are all different widths. My neighbor bought a ranger don't know what model,  thinking it would be great to put a sprayer in the back to spray field borders and found out it runs over a row no matter what on 30 inch spacing. The Kawasaki Teryx will straddle 2 and the Kubota 500 will squeeze in with 1 row under it.

I got a Kubota rtv900 in 2008 and this is the hour meter reading as of tonight . It's a brute. I have hauled a full 275 tote of water for the trees in my yard. When moving it after I drained some out it really tried to lunge when stopping

IMG_20200729_200947303.jpg

5 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Picture is deceiving.  You wouldn’t take it for a thousand if you saw it in person.  It’s just slowly dying.  It’s had some electrical issues for awhile.  Transmission is starting  to give out.  Doesn’t start very good. Last time we put a starter in it we had to machine a sleeve for one of the bolt holes because it was worn oblong.  I suppose all of it could be fixed but at some point you just have to mail it in.

I was told the same thing about the one we use here................previous owner said it would do the most good as a parts machine, said they ran the wheels off of it, and with no hour meter on those early ones who knows.  I just put a hour meter in it more out of curiousity than anything at the end of April................got 200+ on it already and it doesn't leave a 2 mile circle.  I was supprised.  In the 3 years we had it we probably put a ton on it ourselves and I honestly haven't put a ton into it.

On 7/28/2020 at 2:33 PM, Mr. Brookville said:

Looking to upgrade from Golf Cart. what Side by side do you have and would you buy it again? 

Im looking at Kawasaki Mules and Polaris Rangers. 

I like the Mules because of Steel Bed.  Many Many Rangers running around here. 

Whats your experience? 

This only applies if you are looking in the used market

We have a Cub Cadet Volunteer (Older Generation this one was made in the USA.)         Thing has been through absolute **** the steel bed has held up great, as have the drive train.  We had it for probably getting close to 10 years and all we have done was put lifters in the motor.  Top speed is only about 25 mph but it seems to me that you trade speed for true work vehicles.

just my opinion on our side by side.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Potter Farms said:

This only applies if you are looking in the used market

We have a Cub Cadet Volunteer (Older Generation this one was made in the USA.)         Thing has been through absolute **** the steel bed has held up great, as have the drive train.  We had it for probably getting close to 10 years and all we have done was put lifters in the motor.  Top speed is only about 25 mph but it seems to me that you trade speed for true work vehicles.

just my opinion on our side by side.

Was that the JD 6x4 knock off?????

We always had Honda's but they have a lot of catching up to do with UTV's. We have a toolcat..our 4th one, a great machine but not a UTV.(or skid loader)  We are running Rangers all different models and love them. As with anything the more money the more you will enjoy. All depends on preference and if you have a good dealer close, because sooner or later they all cause problems.