vtfireman85

GM 6.5 power problems

Algae is black when it plugs your filters. That looks more like a moisture problem then a algae issue. Did you happen to get a bio Desiel fill up?

Doesn't  it have a water in fuel sensor.  The Cummins has the WIF sensor, I always assume the tractor needs water drained so crack the plug before every startup. Also try to keep either tank full if it is going to sit prior to next run. Many years since I have had a fuel issue.

Didnt you just put in a new tank ?  Bet that oring didn't seal on the top of  tank and its letting water in! Definitively not algae.-----

13 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Only thing I wonder, my fuel cap was not venting, I released the pressure but I wonder if the tank dented enough to damage the pickup. There was quite a lot of vacuum on it. Kept meaning to drill a hole in so it would vent but forgetting to, I leave the cap a little loose usually but I guess I forgot to today, between that and being really hot then driving at night when it cooled down. 

All of mine always have some vacuum when I fill up . Fuel gets hot from being ran thru and returned and cools in tank causing vacuum.

51 minutes ago, shot_gun_red said:

Didnt you just put in a new tank ?  Bet that oring didn't seal on the top of  tank and its letting water in! Definitively not algae.-----

Yes that will give you a water problem.

Been there done that. 

Might have been the aftermarket pump assembly.  

3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

2AC44510-9C97-41DE-B939-7FE159F0C745.jpeg

How did you manage to take a picture of both of your hands?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, shot_gun_red said:

All of mine always have some vacuum when I fill up . Fuel gets hot from being ran thru and returned and cools in tank causing vacuum.

yes, but this is sucking the tank inside out, I drilled the pressure check today, so it won't do it again, I was extremely careful installing the pickup unit and greased the O-ring with sil-glyde when I installed it, it does occur to me however that it could be sucking water from any orifice with that much vacuum pulled on it. the GM does not have a spin on filter or any apparent means for water separation, I wonder if I could install a spin on down on the frame rail and do away with the cartridge one.  

2 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

How did you manage to take a picture of both of your hands?

🤔

36 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

yes, but this is sucking the tank inside out, I drilled the pressure check today, so it won't do it again, I was extremely careful installing the pickup unit and greased the O-ring with sil-glyde when I installed it, it does occur to me however that it could be sucking water from any orifice with that much vacuum pulled on it. the GM does not have a spin on filter or any apparent means for water separation, I wonder if I could install a spin on down on the frame rail and do away with the cartridge one.  

So up front there is  a 1/8 brass valve buy oil fill ! That goes to bottom of filter housing to drain water! if your sucking inside out sounds like pressure . only place water can get in system is buy filling with bad fuel, or on top of tank and sounds like you got that put in good!

My dad was big on a fuel tank  in back with fuel in his old 6.9 ford and he was broke down pissed off trying to get it to run one day . So I showed up in about the middle of the fit . He was ready to pull the pump and I dumped the filter on a board ,seen water in fuel. Looked at tank in back of bed had a big crack in top from a old hand pump years ago . sucked tank put new fuel in and on his way he went.

right by where the radiator hose hooks to neck left of alt is tee valve. Piss poor setup because you need pump running to get any pressure to push fuel out and its really to high to drain without.

65tdengine.jpg

2 minutes ago, shot_gun_red said:

right by where the radiator hose hooks to neck left of alt is tee valve

65tdengine.jpg

how's that work as a water drain as its way up high? what's the procedure? 

Did you wire your pump to run off key instead of that stupid oil pressure switch? Ive always cut mine loose so ! i can hold down below filter by ps fill! Its a retarted setup unless you hang below bottom of filter. You have your bleed up top of filter right? 

Ive had tons of these apart that valve is connected to bottom of filter housing for water drain.

Procedure is with running(if you haven't by passed oil switch) so transfer  pump is running crack valve.

28 minutes ago, shot_gun_red said:

Did you wire your pump to run off key instead of that stupid oil pressure switch? Ive always cut mine loose so ! i can hold down below filter by ps fill! Its a retarted setup unless you hang below bottom of filter. You have your bleed up top of filter right? 

Ive had tons of these apart that valve is connected to bottom of filter housing for water drain.

Procedure is with running(if you haven't by passed oil switch) so transfer  pump is running crack valve.

No, I always take the relay out and jump it , do I have to lower it down or will it just push water ahead?

2 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

No, I always take the relay out and jump it , do I have to lower it down or will it just push water ahead?

it will push it out . I lengthened my hose to get down by ps pump on my wolf huntin truck so i get it all. Nothin worse than froze water and hounds wanting to go.

• Thanks 1

Your 1994 FFM (Fuel Filter Manager) fuel filter assembly, has a built in water separator with sensor, and a fuel heater. This is a standalone module and should light up your "Water in Fuel" light on your dash cluster every time the key is turned to the run position for about five seconds. Like shot_gun_red said, if you have the lift pump running, it will push water/fuel out of the drain when you turn the "T" handle. The factory drain hose is kinda short and spills on the frame of the truck.

Many years ago I switched a 1994 DS4 electronic pump engine to a mechanical DB2 pump from a 6.2, so if you ever get tired of dealing with the electonics, it is not hard to change the engine to a mechanical injection pump. Pretty basic turbo diesel engine.