Sign in to follow this  
turbo10

1206 injection pump

got a 1206 that smokes black smoke like a freight train  the customer wants it turned down so it doesn't smoke so bad what screw should I turn  or how should I go bout doin it thanks

They all smoke how much boost   Mine is set around 250 in the field really doesn’t smoke more then set at 150

You said smokes like a freight train,how do you know too much fuel is the problem.

• Like 2

Do the injectors and set them to open at 3250 psi , stock is 2350 psi . If the head has never been off it needs valve seats put in and all new valves to get it up to spec . Then last put the turbo on the shop shelf and put a newer style turbo on there and that will make a huge difference.

Danny 

The fuel screw comes in at a 45 degree angle from the rear, if it has one. 

But, if the leaf spring has been bottomed, the dyno is the best way to set it by horsepower and not smoke.

Does it smoke black all the time or only when you throttle up?

If only when you throttle up, that is the turbo not yet spooling up to speed.

Running the nozzles is usually the best way to clean up an engine.

so it has an excessive amount of power? If yes, then turn torque screw in 1/2 turn at a time until you get it to an acceptable level.  If not, but yet smokes black heavy smoke, you've got an issue elsewhere. Turbo could be a problem, or an air intake restriction, or a blown intake gasket or missing plug. Put a gauge in the intake manifold to read the boost pressure while under load. Should be around 10-15 psi.

4 hours ago, Injpumped said:

so it has an excessive amount of power? If yes, then turn torque screw in 1/2 turn at a time until you get it to an acceptable level.  If not, but yet smokes black heavy smoke, you've got an issue elsewhere. Turbo could be a problem, or an air intake restriction, or a blown intake gasket or missing plug. Put a gauge in the intake manifold to read the boost pressure while under load. Should be around 10-15 psi.

10-15 on stock 1206 ? 

• Like 1

ok long story short unrelated to the exsesive smoke issue its getting water in the oil and has a nocked on what sounds like num 6. this has an 806 motor with a stanadyne db pump and I think it was a swarts turbo it wasn't  air research or the solar turbo.  the injectors and pump was recently done I believe. it was a younger kid that had it and I told the boss I believe it was a pulling tractor in the makings or has the screw turned to her to make it smoke like it did.  but I won't find out what's wrong cause I'm to "busy" to take on a big project and its goin to a diff shop now.

I knew the proper way and other things to check but the boss was set in his way just turn the screw out some and be done 

Then turn the torque screw in until it is at an acceptable level. Now that we have info on why it smokes, now we can offer guidance. It could also be that the injectors are installed 180* wrong. The injection line needs to be right next to the valve cover. If backwards, it will smoke but not have much power. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Injpumped said:

injectors are installed 180* wrong.

Humans do this on 456 Ford / Genisus engines too............. 

• Haha 1