Sign in to follow this  
jeeper61

Old Cable Stuff

Great pics everyone!!

I was driving the back roads in KY and through the woods I caught a glimpse of a cabin on top of a hill.

On my way back by I stopped to take a closer look and it was one of those old strip mining shovels that appeared to be abandon it was just the operators shack sticking up over the top the hill the majority of the area had been reclaimed and this shovel was in a pit by the road.

Did not get any photos this back in the 90s we were still using pagers back then so no cell phone camera.

At lot of that large equipment is likely retired at the site and left to rot a way because it is too big to move.

On my recent drive up from Minot I crossed the border at Portal, in Saskatchewan there was a stretch of huge drag lines strip mining coal.

amazing machines 

On 7/25/2020 at 10:05 PM, 7and8and1456 said:

This one is steam powered. I saw it in 2006.  It is at Denton Farmpark in Denton NC, home of Southeast Old Threshers’ Reunion ( https://dentonfarmpark.com/48th-annual-southeast-old-threshers-reunion/  

IMG_0039 (Large).JPG

IMG_0040 (Large).JPG

IMG_0041 (Large).JPG

That's really neat, the old boy running it was probably having a blast. Being as that was taken in 2006, he may not be with us any longer.

On 7/31/2020 at 6:55 AM, NY1468 said:

Reminds me of the book “Mike Mulligan’s Steam Shovel”. Was a favorite when I was 7 or 8....

I remember that book when I was little too!

I will add a few pictures of my cable stuff, if I can.

Cable hoe working..jpg

Northwest backhoe.jpg

Northwest shovel..jpg

• Like 2

Koehring 405.

Koehring 1.jpg

Koehring 405 2.jpg

Koehring 405 3.jpg

Koehring 405 4.jpg

Koehring 405 5.jpg

• Like 2

Bantam.

Bantam 1.jpg

Bantam.jpg

• Like 3

Katy and Mike Mulligan should be required reading!!!!   Virginia Lee Burton captured both stories perfectly.

Read both to my kids at their school "parents read to class day".....

"Big Joe's Trailer Truck" is another childhood classic!!!!

Sycamore IL steam show has a tracked steam shovel in working condition.......smile and think MaryAnn every time I see it operate.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 12:00 PM, AKwelder said:

On my recent drive up from Minot I crossed the border at Portal, in Saskatchewan there was a stretch of huge drag lines strip mining coal.

amazing machines 

I remember very well my family touring one of the coal mines down near the Saskatchewan/Montana border when I was about 12. What an amazing place it was. The size of everything was huge compared to what I'd ever seen around home. I had family that worked there so we got a personal tour of the whole mine. Got to go in one of the drag lines while it was in operation. The size of the cables going in and out was impressive. There was a workshop in the drag line. The "cab" was like the size of a office building. My 8 year old cousin who grew up there was running the controls for a bit. Of course that was almost 20 years ago so I'm sure you can't do that anymore lol. I remember parking the truck in the bucket and there was 8 of us standing beside it and there was a pile of room yet. Lots of pictures got taken, but unfortunately there was no film in the camera lol. So it's only by memory. But that was a tour I would take again in a heartbeat. Watching them walk the dragline was very neat as well. Very impressive operation there

6 hours ago, Buddy said:

I will add a few pictures of my cable stuff, if I can.

Cable hoe working..jpg

Northwest backhoe.jpg

Northwest shovel..jpg

Wow you really have some serious iron there! Thank you for sharing!

Back in the early 1980’s I took a trip to the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson with a detour to see ‘Big Muskie’, the biggest walking dragline. Couldn’t get that close to it but I have pictures somewhere.

As for abandoned machines, during the same time period I would fly out to see my son at Penn State, about half way between Allentown and State College there was a fair sized shovel sitting on top of a ridge; probably still there.

Dragline bucket and part of a boom here if anybody wants it.  The rest of the machine is in Raleigh, NC.  Local guy bought it and was moving it here to clean out his ponds, but he has since passed.