400 Farmall euthanization

I got an earlier 400 (serial number 774?) in pieces. I should correct myself and say it was only 50% of the tractor. My brother wanted the power steering for his 400, I was hoping to get a good crankshaft and other things that I need for my 400/450s . 

The story was supposedly the one cylinder had no compression and he started to tear it down to fix. The parts we could find were scattered up to 150 yards apart. We sold the wide front end to help justify the cost. 

Block appears to be a replacement possibly as there is no serial number on it and it's casting code for year is A or would that jive with what it should be? My one question is on the crankshaft I have never noticed the back knurled like this one is. Is that something that a machine shop would have done at some point? 

IMG_20200724_205416441.jpg

IMG_20200724_205421774.jpg

IMG_20200724_205449190.jpg

IMG_20200724_205458042.jpg

IMG_20200724_205514297.jpg

IMG_20200724_205614546.jpg

IMG_20200724_205626381.jpg

• Like 1

i got nothing, but i applaud your enthusiasm - i grew up on a 400 lpg narrow front, it taught me a lot 

• Thanks 1

Domed pistons I think are less domed than the power dome pistons in my 450. Unfortunately it sat without the intake manifold and oil pan for who knows how long but it really doesn't look that bad. I was able to pull the pistons out of the sleeves by hand still attached to the crankshaft

Strange it doesn't have a engine serial number. Appears to be a production engine casting from a later  400 if the tractor serial number is 4 numbers long and begins with 77. A was for 1955 and with the head in May also.  If the tractor serial is 4 numbers, it should have came with a 356980R1 block casting. Not sure why but noticed the knurled flange on others. Maybe a manufacture machine mounting or the flange OD ended up smaller than  specs for fit to flywheel recess, Don't know if that would be critical with 2 dowel pins also used.

3 hours ago, DWV said:

Strange it doesn't have a engine serial number. Appears to be a production engine casting from a later  400 if the tractor serial number is 4 numbers long and begins with 77. A was for 1955 and with the head in May also.  If the tractor serial is 4 numbers, it should have came with a 356980R1 block casting. Not sure why but noticed the knurled flange on others. Maybe a manufacture machine mounting or the flange OD ended up smaller than  specs for fit to flywheel recess, Don't know if that would be critical with 2 dowel pins also used.

Sorry I made it confusing. The serial number is 774 . I put the question mark on the end because I am just recalling the number from my memory. 

One thing I find really interesting about this is if you are saying May of 55 is the casting codes we bought a 400 brand new and it was only a few weeks old when my uncle was driving it down the road and the steering wheel came off and it rolled and he was paralyzed. His accident was in February of 55. This is indicating that it must have been an extremely low one by serial number. They fixed the 400 up and kept it until the mid 70's when we got a used 450 to replace it. 

I have been trying to upload more pictures but am having trouble. 

F-400 serial number 590 used engine number 136904 356980R1 casting, date code 10-6-Z. Head 10-11-Z same cast number you have. Steering wheel coming off was probably a reason IH sent a bulletin out to dealers in I think it was 55 to check steering wheel nut torque. 356980R2 blocks started at engine serial 146138. Reason block numbers are high compared to tractors, was C-264 numbers started with the SM and went through the 400 tractors.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DWV said:

F-400 serial number 590 used engine number 136904 356980R1 casting, date code 10-6-Z. Head 10-11-Z same cast number you have. Steering wheel coming off was probably a reason IH sent a bulletin out to dealers in I think it was 55 to check steering wheel nut torque. 356980R2 blocks started at engine serial 146138. Reason block numbers are high compared to tractors, was C-264 numbers started with the SM and went through the 400 tractors.

Uncle Clyde passed away two and a half years ago. On the 60th anniversary of his accident he spoke at church about it. He commented he often wished he'd been thrown out of harm's way but never wished he had gotten killed in the accident instead of being handicapped. He did say he got a small settlement from International especially by nowadays standards. We know another family who lost the steering wheel off theirs but it was in the barnyard in a slow gear. I thought they changed the nut design that was used on the Wheel? Originally they had a cap nut where you couldn't see the threads?

4 hours ago, DWV said:

Uncle Clyde passed away two and a half years ago. On the 60th anniversary of his accident he spoke at church about it. He commented he often wished he'd been thrown out of harm's way but never wished he had gotten killed in the accident instead of being handicapped. He did say he got a small settlement from International especially by nowadays standards. We know another family who lost the steering wheel off theirs but it was in the barnyard in a slow gear. I thought they changed the nut design that was used on the Wheel? Originally they had a cap nut where you couldn't see the threads?

11 hours ago, bitty said:

I have been trying to upload more pictures but am having trouble. 

Apparently my WiFi is extremely slow at home. At the shop and it's loading fine . 

IMG_20200724_205339028.jpg

IMG_20200724_205349177.jpg

IMG_20200330_151936155.jpg

Looks to be a standard elevation fire crater piston for a 400 gas, or a look alike from another company.Will have a IH number on top if IH.  Just posting a piston number from memory so I could be wrong, 374306R1.

• Thanks 1

I believe my 400 has a capped nut holding steering wheel on.

28 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I believe my 400 has a capped nut holding steering wheel on.

So did mine , until I changed it. My uncle questioned about it and I checked and I couldn't believe it was not super tight. I figured it would be rusted fast 

• Like 1

DWV recalled the correct part number for the pistons. The guy who got the wide front from this parts tractor has it mounted and painted already. He traded in the narrow front end from his 400 and it has picker hubs . I never realized that the center of these is stationary and then there is a second seal for the grease 

IMG_20200726_055901964.jpg

1 hour ago, bitty said:

DWV recalled the correct part number for the pistons. The guy who got the wide front from this parts tractor has it mounted and painted already. He traded in the narrow front end from his 400 and it has picker hubs . I never realized that the center of these is stationary and then there is a second seal for the grease 

IMG_20200726_055901964.jpg

Never seen those......but wasnt around anything of this vintage when they were common in the field. 

1 hour ago, superih said:

Is the head for sale?

Not at this point. I have a 400 that I'm running that has an antifreeze leak in the oil not sure where it's coming from yet.