Sign in to follow this  
MCC

Getting old sucks!

At least physically anyways.  I always enjoy a good foot race and really enjoy stomping my kids.  Two years ago on family vacation, I raced my oldest son and pulled something in my knee that took 6 months to heal up.  I haven't sprinted all out since.  At work, I am really struggling with my eyes, shoulders and don't try to do the things I used to do.  Well tonight, my kids baseball team had a parents versus kids end of season grudge match.  I got there late and was enjoying watching my athletic wife play.  At her urging,  I decided to go in and bat.  On my way to first base I hear the parents urging me to step on it like I was going to be thrown out, so I grabbed my hat and hammered down.  About 2/3 of the way to first, something lets loose in my hamstring.  Never had this injury before.  So I came back home to nurse my gimp and left the baseball to my wife.  Hope it feels better for work tomorrow and doesn't take months to heal up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

11 minutes ago, MCC said:

At least physically anyways.  I always enjoy a good foot race and really enjoy stomping my kids.  Two years ago on family vacation, I raced my oldest son and pulled something in my knee that took 6 months to heal up.  I haven't sprinted all out since.  At work, I am really struggling with my eyes, shoulders and don't try to do the things I used to do.  Well tonight, my kids baseball team had a parents versus kids end of season grudge match.  I got there late and was enjoying watching my athletic wife play.  At her urging,  I decided to go in and bat.  On my way to first base I hear the parents urging me to step on it like I was going to be thrown out, so I grabbed my hat and hammered down.  About 2/3 of the way to first, something lets loose in my hamstring.  Never had this injury before.  So I came back home to nurse my gimp and left the baseball to my wife.  Hope it feels better for work tomorrow and doesn't take months to heal up.

As we age, stretch, stretch and stretch again.  Our muscles are not as resilient as when we were twenty (20), thirty (30) and especially after 40 (forty). Be very careful with the hamstring and if no soreness, gently stretch.

• Like 1

I can't believe you saw the ball to hit it!!!

😉

• Like 2

as long as you made it to first base who cares - enjoy the couch time, be sure to milk it 😉

You already know this but like richard said watch the hammy, very hard to heal without pulling again, I've got the opposite problem with my quads, again a b**tch to heal, then pull again.

• Thanks 1

Arm wrestled and beat my 17 and 19 year old sons. 40 years of throwing small squares. My neck and shoulder started hurting. Hurt for weeks. Chiropractor said I pulled some muscle that can even tear when arm wrestling.  Victory can be hollow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hope you heal up quick, Pops tried to race me to the door years ago, ate crap on the icy deck, thought he’d broke his wrist, it ended up it was sprained and he broke off a calcium deposit that should not have been there, doc said he did himself a favor. I said Your Welcome. 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Hope you heal up quick, Pops tried to race me to the door years ago, ate crap on the icy deck, thought he’d broke his wrist, it ended up it was sprained and he broke off a calcium deposit that should not have been there, doc said he did himself a favor. I said Your Welcome. 

And I can certainly imagine that he was VERY “appreciative” of your “assistance”.

11 hours ago, MCC said:

Would you have been better off to observe your athletic wife play?   Or would that have put you in the doghouse for not playing?

Here's my saying, I used to I could do, wait a minute, GET THE BOB CAT !!!!

• Like 2

It doesn't get any easier the older you get. I did pretty good until 64 (Just tuned the big 70). Got my toe hooked under a root, lost my balance. Short story - torn ligaments. Recovered from that, then leg pain - deteriorated disks, then bone spurs in the cervical area of my spine. 6 years later after 4 spine surgeries I'm seeing a neurologist for guess what - leg pain. Might need another spine surgery.  Throw in cataracts and a torn retina surgery and scar removal surgery, the insurance company has paid out a lot of money. :( It costws $1000 / hour for the time I spent in our local hospital for the spine surgeries. That does not include the Dr.,  anesthesiologists etc.

See all the stuff at the bottom, all bought before 64. I've wrenched on it all but haven't done anything on most of it since. Now it's time to start getting rid of it since I doubt I'll ever do any heavy wrenching any more. All can go but the Mustang (Son-in-law drool's over it) and the LTL. I can drive the LTL but not to Ohio etc like I used to.

Silver sneakers 👟 is my option ( don’t laugh, try it You’ll see and feel the benefit ) but with COVID ,that is shutdown , I have to be very careful with any strenuous exercise. I have to be really  careful getting on and off the Farmall C and the 560 .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MCC said:

On my way to first base I hear the parents urging me to step on it like I was going to be thrown out, so I grabbed my hat and hammered down.

Should have hit it over the fence...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Older ladies at work were talking about RA and the stuff they were taking, one commented a Brazil nut a day was beneficial to which I commented I like Brazil nuts, she immediately said so did I until you have to try chocking one down day after day

At 74 I love working restorations in shop , 

however, I have two creeper chairs , two creepers , four floor pads , two stools 

and four chairs for visiting.

have hard tire fork lift for close quarters in shop , have three jacks all with handles.

my oil drain is on four wheel with handle 

anything I can do to not have to crawl under, or bend down .

have four rolling carts so to carry tools and don’t need to walk to tool box or forget where we put it . Just throw it in tool cart we’ll find it . Before we were walking all around shop looking for tools that  We just laid down .lol

have two magnets handy so when I drop a bolt or wrench just stretch it out and pick it back up . Lol 

cant stand very long with out back hurting so try to sit on creeper , stools or just plain sit down and have a water and take a break.

i prefer to use the rubber floor mats when under equipment more comfy then creeper.

i keep telling John my helper who is 75 if we want to continue doing this we need to find all the help we can get . Lol

if I was on the clock , I would be fired in first half hour !!!

Its all Good ! Thank God we can complain and keep doing just a lot slower . 
tony

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

So I volunteer at the local tourist railroad. The rail contractor was there Sat and Sun  (today and tomorrow) working on a new crossing so I put my steel toed boots on for the 1st time in probably a year or more to check the work. Then off to the yard to retrieve 2 pallets of wheels out of a box car. Got it spotted where I can clean up inside to get them to the door with a pallet jack and fork off with the borrowed hilo form the hardware. I kept saying to my fellow volunteers "your mother's name isn't Tom (That is  me) so clean up after yourself." :( I've never such a group of slobs :(:(

So the engine dies and won't restart. I need the box car at the business crossing 500 feet away so I can use the forklift. Did I say it doesn't have brakes so I have to shuttle from F to R to stop it and then drop the forks. They get the hi rail boom truck and tow it up the slight grade. I get everything forked off and take the wheels to the hardware where they will get picked up this week for a trip to a wheel shop in PA.

I'm on the hilo at the hardware, motor running and I hear a big boom. I think they must have hit the rest of the train a bit hard. A mostly empty box car will boom pretty good. I get back to the yard and find out instead of easing it back down with it on a strap to the boom truck, they just kicked downhill depending on the brakeman to tighten the handbrake. He can't tighten it , see's it's going to hit hard and jumps off.

Well it hits so hard that 40 - 20 feet long 2 x 10 oak deck boards are slid 6 feet from the end of the car. They have shelving racks so I spent 1 1/2 hours putting "stuff" back on the shelves.

I spent the best part of 7 hours on my feet today with my work boots. I am just plain wore out and have some real aching legs tonight. 70 years old is just too old to be on my feet like this.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

At 74 I love working restorations in shop , 

however, I have two creeper chairs , two creepers , four floor pads , two stools 

and four chairs for visiting.

have hard tire fork lift for close quarters in shop , have three jacks all with handles.

my oil drain is on four wheel with handle 

anything I can do to not have to crawl under, or bend down .

have four rolling carts so to carry tools and don’t need to walk to tool box or forget where we put it . Just throw it in tool cart we’ll find it . Before we were walking all around shop looking for tools that  We just laid down .lol

have two magnets handy so when I drop a bolt or wrench just stretch it out and pick it back up . Lol 

cant stand very long with out back hurting so try to sit on creeper , stools or just plain sit down and have a water and take a break.

i prefer to use the rubber floor mats when under equipment more comfy then creeper.

i keep telling John my helper who is 75 if we want to continue doing this we need to find all the help we can get . Lol

if I was on the clock , I would be fired in first half hour !!!

Its all Good ! Thank God we can complain and keep doing just a lot slower . 
tony

Tony, you have the same  methods somewhat as I have, you mention rubber mats, try looking at Dillon precision reloading supplies in Scottsdale, they sell a shooting mat that is firm and comfy for crawling under the vehicles, when I finished PPC I put this away until the last couple of years and it can roll up or lay flat,  just a thought.

• Thanks 1

Ripped my hamstring, about half the string bundle broke, "Frayed" is how the Doc described it. Nothing to be done, just stay off the foot as much as possible and don't do anything stressful (Read "Stupid!) Gimped around for 6 months, feeling old and fragile! Stairs were a real killer, one step at a time, left, left, left.......

• Sad 2

The floor is getting farther away each year.

The wife keeps paying the gravity bill.

If I want to get down on my knees, I have some plan in place so I can get back up.

Laying under something requires a nap.

Doc did a heart ablation on me a month ago. That was like turning my "On" switch back on.

I now have the will but the ability is fading fast.

Ah, to be young again?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

The floor is getting farther away each year.

The wife keeps paying the gravity bill.

If I want to get down on my knees, I have some plan in place so I can get back up.

Laying under something requires a nap.

Doc did a heart ablation on me a month ago. That was like turning my "On" switch back on.

I now have the will but the ability is fading fast.

Ah, to be young again?

my favorite quote regarding ambition and age - I work twice as hard as I ever did but only get half as much done. 

• Like 2

I see all these nice big shops on here. I am glad mine is a single bay so there is always something within reach to pull myself back up after being on the floor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It sucks. It absolutely sucks. I went from being able to bury men half my age to a dottering old fool in about four years. Damn doctors and their meds. Pay attention when they start writing scripts for you.

• Like 1

I use to have the problem that my brain was writing checks my a$$ couldn't cash. But not very often anymore. The repercussions from bad decisions eventually teach you to stop doing that. 🙉

• Like 2

Getting older seems to be marginally better than the alternative.🤔  BK.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Brady Boy said:

Getting older seems to be marginally better than the alternative.🤔  BK.

There always has to be a pragmatist, can't we whine and feel sorry for ourselves without the truth being brought up.😫

How is mrs. Brady boy feeling?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dasnake said:

There always has to be a pragmatist, can't we whine and feel sorry for ourselves without the truth being brought up.😫

How is mrs. Brady boy feeling?

Sorry I rained on the pity party, I've been crying like a rat eating onions too.  It's been a rough week, pain, frustration, tears, harsh words, doctor's appointments, medication, and she still looks like a 4366 ran over her. MRI and CT scan this week, and I may have to hire a cook. All in all, I think she is doing better than I am, lol. BK.

• Thanks 2