3688 cab question.

I am casually looking at tractors with a cab so I can more safely bring my boys along with me. I saw a 3688 near me and in the picture of the cab it looks like there is a fair amount of space to the left of the seat. I am wondering if a buddy seat for a boxcar magnum would fit? How different are the cabs between 88 series and the 1st gen magnums?  Thanks for the help!

Kids fit good in that cab.............But if you need a buddy seat for them, with the park, you will need to build something, and it won't make park the easiest to use.  When I blow snow I can stuff 3 in plus me.  2 sit up on the ledge behind the seat and my oldest is still small enough he can sit on the tapered part or stand next to the seat.  

2 hours ago, DPH1256 said:

Unfortunately the rule is no seat belt no ride. Was hoping to find something that has a buddy seat for 10-15k. 

Good luck.

Most everyone on here has ridden, or took riders that sat in the back window dash.  Unless you are working on hills so steep a rollover is possible, it's pretty safe.  If that is the case, my rule would be no riders at all. 

• Like 1

Had a customer years ago had a car seat bolted to the fender of his 1650 Oliver.  At least it was a wide front.

10 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Good luck.

Most everyone on here has ridden, or took riders that sat in the back window dash.  Unless you are working on hills so steep a rollover is possible, it's pretty safe.  If that is the case, my rule would be no riders at all. 

Oh I know I spent my childhood riding on the fenders of a 1256 or stuffed in the corner of a 3594. But this is what my wife wants and it is reasonable in my mind. My boys are 2 and 3.5 and I know how much they can get into. My fear is them using a shifter or hydraulic lever at a bad time. 

2 hours ago, DPH1256 said:

My boys are 2 and 3.5 and I know how much they can get into. My fear is them using a shifter or hydraulic lever at a bad time. 

I was once that age, but I knew not to touch things in the cab.  How did I know?  Oh... my dad ingrained it into my tiny mind how dangerous it was to mess with cab levers.  

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

I was once that age, but I knew not to touch things in the cab.  How did I know?  Oh... my dad ingrained it into my tiny mind how dangerous it was to mess with cab levers.  

Im sure he is working on that too. But he probably aint gonna change mommas mind.......

8 hours ago, Rick G. said:

How in thee h-ll do you figure a buddy seat to cost 5 figures? 

That was the price of the tractor. Back to a high hour magnum or mx110-135 being the most likely candidate

7 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Im sure he is working on that too. But he probably aint gonna change mommas mind.......

She is not being unreasonable, it is not like she is telling me that I have to buy a john deere. Plus it is premission to buy another tractor, never a bad thing. 

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, DPH1256 said:

That was the price of the tractor. Back to a high hour magnum or mx110-135 being the most likely candidate

I can't say for the red ones, but the Deeres here didn't have seat belts on the buddy seats?  Probably could rig up something, but they were not on any of the 7/8000's I have ran here if you need a factory setup to make her happy.

1 hour ago, DPH1256 said:

Oops pardon me. I guess I read that wrong and interpreted it wrong. Duh- oh. 

it can be done i've seen it but like its been said you gotta build it around the park lock and you gotta make sure to make it so the kids can't hit it with their feet

Stupid question.

I know it would mess up the foam padding up. But would it be possible to fabricate a seat and seatbelt setup and mount it securely on the ledge behind the seat to the left of the seat. With the ledge it would raise the seat and kid up enough to have access to the parking brake i would think. Yeah you loose some view out of the back of the window but that view would be gone if the kids were sitting back there anyway.

• Like 1

There was a forum member on here that put a buddy seat with a seat belt on the right side of an 86 series cab above and slightly in front of the hydraulic levers so he could have his kids ride with him, so it is possible. I plan to do this in the near future on the left side of a couple of my 50 series tractors and am thinking of moving the park lock lever to the right side near the shift levers, the rod the lever is mounted to goes across to the right side to hook to the park lock which is on the right side of the 50 series transmission. I, however, am not sure which side it is on a 3688, being that is a modernized 86 series tractor. Like 88Power said, it can be done, heck, there are guys on here that have made the left side cab door on 86 and 88 series hinge in the back so the door opens in the front like a square nosed Magnum. You are only limited by your imagination.