Jump to content

How does one make the decision to hang up the wrenches ?


Recommended Posts

My old man did it for about 40 years.   3 days after his 66th birthday he got laid off due to “downsizing.”   Told him at 3 PM he had to get his 7 toolboxes outta there by 5.   He was going to retire in 3 months but the decision was made for him.  40 years at a place and they tell him to stick it.

He doesn’t miss it   Doesn’t do any work on the side and has been enjoying laid off life collecting unemployment.   What I learned from it all is don’t work yourself to death for someone else’s gain- use your personal and vacation time- watch your kids grow up- because at the end of the day you are a number that even though they say they value you are replaced very easily. 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many reasons I still lay under these rusty abused vehicles. 1. Large divorce debt 2. Sense of accomplishment 3. I'm needed 4.SOME customers are great entertaining interesting peopl

My old man did it for about 40 years.   3 days after his 66th birthday he got laid off due to “downsizing.”   Told him at 3 PM he had to get his 7 toolboxes outta there by 5.   He was going to retire

Been doing some thinking lately , been turning wrenches for 39 years , started at 17 right out of high school . Allways worked 2 jobs , mechanic at the local IH dealership untill 1990 than my own repa

4 hours ago, MTO said:

OH!

wrenches, got cha now.

I knew the answer from my compressor days, one of the guys was english and some of his terms were english terms, I really got a kick when we would talk cars and coffee breaks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I sold my auto repair shop 3 years ago at age of 51 and I don’t miss or regret it. I now do some vehicles at home, pick and choose, and help my brother on his farm and I help other people on as needed basis and run my small farm. (Like MTO= Micro time operator 🤣). It’s really nice doing different thing and there are always people looking for help. My wife has the heath insurance and no debt, watch my dad struggle with debt his whole life so wasn’t going down that path. Miss good customers but not the bad ones. So I think when you decide to call it quits you find that you will be in demand!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

.......never heard the term     "Wrenching "...untill on this site    some years ago..........quite familiar with the term...."wenching "    but that requires quite  a particular   tool  that I don't believe the "Snap on " truck sells...................:mellow:

..it has always been   "spanners/set spanners /  ring-open enders /single hex /  multi  hex etc etc...and for me personally ..preferably   made in USA  !!

...as for this retirement talk....of hanging up the wenches...I mean the wrenches......totally understand the concrete floor bit......plays **** on joints   from toes to hips.....but as I am a mere 77 yrs gone...I have no plans for quiting the work I do now........I like operating    excavator /dozer .......but remember,  for you blokes that are about to get me consigned to the  padded cell, I chose for whom...and where....thus , for me the environment  in which I work is the key......ask me to start in the housing development ...with a laser on the machine........thanks...but NO  thanks......

...and of course the small farm we have.....plus the area of leased ground  keeps me very busy, with the cattle......and I enjoy that.......the bunch of IH stuff we have gets exercised, and  apart from the usual   repairs and maintenance.....sigh...its all good.....  However, for us in NZ...the 'flu '   aftermath   is going to hurt.......(Primary produce wise....)

...I just see my dwindling number of friends...crouched in thier little  'town houses'    waiting to die...... To **** with that BS

Mike

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mike newman said:

I just see my dwindling number of friends...crouched in thier little  'town houses'    waiting to die...... To **** with that BS

I see that a lot, especially with people retiring with pensions and just sitting around, or saucing themselves at the bar every day.  Lots of old farmers in the family and in the area still active (not doing bull work but doing what they can)  into their 70's and even early 80's.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a mechanic y a long shot but I started my journey in the mid 70's. Retired 5 years ago from the rat race and do my own thing now. I am addicted to the challenge, so as long as I can get around I will be making sparks and smoke. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not ready for retirement yet. But the last 25 years I've spent most of it working 55 to 70 hours a week at my town job. Then trying to take care of the cattle and put up hay in the summer. Getting so I'm tired all the time. Never bothered me much till the last few years. Aches , pains are starting to get to me. Here lately I've found myself thinking alot about selling the farm and switching jobs. Not that I'm ready to quit. Used to spend alot of time hunting and fishing when I was younger. Now if I get to go I find myself thinking about what needs worked on back at home instead of enjoying myself. Also think alot about things I wanted to do that are never gonna happen if I keep on the same path I'm on. Kids are all moving away so most everything is left on me and I don't know if I want to continue farming anymore. This is what I wanted since being a little kid but I'm kinda burning out on it. Kinda a thinking about selling everything and building a nice shop with a lift in it so I can mess with some old cars and trucks. Would also give the wife and I more free time for vacations and stuff. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mike newman said:

.......never heard the term     "Wrenching "...untill on this site    some years ago..........quite familiar with the term...."wenching "    but that requires quite  a particular   tool  that I don't believe the "Snap on " truck sells...................:mellow:

..it has always been   "spanners/set spanners /  ring-open enders /single hex /  multi  hex etc etc...and for me personally ..preferably   made in USA  !!

...as for this retirement talk....of hanging up the wenches...I mean the wrenches......totally understand the concrete floor bit......plays **** on joints   from toes to hips.....but as I am a mere 77 yrs gone...I have no plans for quiting the work I do now........I like operating    excavator /dozer .......but remember,  for you blokes that are about to get me consigned to the  padded cell, I chose for whom...and where....thus , for me the environment  in which I work is the key......ask me to start in the housing development ...with a laser on the machine........thanks...but NO  thanks......

...and of course the small farm we have.....plus the area of leased ground  keeps me very busy, with the cattle......and I enjoy that.......the bunch of IH stuff we have gets exercised, and  apart from the usual   repairs and maintenance.....sigh...its all good.....  However, for us in NZ...the 'flu '   aftermath   is going to hurt.......(Primary produce wise....)

...I just see my dwindling number of friends...crouched in thier little  'town houses'    waiting to die...... To **** with that BS

Mike

Them wenches can get you in trouble.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can relate to most of these posts myself. I've worked hard most of my life and my body reminds me every day. I can't retire cause I'm not quite 50 but close, about 3 months yet. I've slowed down a lot to. And I've learned to say no if I want to. Still enjoy pounding the pavement cause after 22 years on the job most of my customers are now my friends. I'm just glad we went to drop and hook or I'd probably be crippled by now. 

So as stated, I've slowed down, learned to say no, and take time off when I can. I still mess with my own stuff and as you guys have seen on here I help my friends get tractors to and from shows and enjoy that very much.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, 1466fan said:

Not ready for retirement yet. But the last 25 years I've spent most of it working 55 to 70 hours a week at my town job. Then trying to take care of the cattle and put up hay in the summer. Getting so I'm tired all the time. Never bothered me much till the last few years. Aches , pains are starting to get to me. Here lately I've found myself thinking alot about selling the farm and switching jobs. Not that I'm ready to quit. Used to spend alot of time hunting and fishing when I was younger. Now if I get to go I find myself thinking about what needs worked on back at home instead of enjoying myself. Also think alot about things I wanted to do that are never gonna happen if I keep on the same path I'm on. Kids are all moving away so most everything is left on me and I don't know if I want to continue farming anymore. This is what I wanted since being a little kid but I'm kinda burning out on it. Kinda a thinking about selling everything and building a nice shop with a lift in it so I can mess with some old cars and trucks. Would also give the wife and I more free time for vacations and stuff. 

I’m in same boat 49 and feel like 70 I got 3 girls not interested in farming , I don’t care for old cars just old tractors. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ky966boy said:

I’m in same boat 49 and feel like 70 I got 3 girls not interested in farming , I don’t care for old cars just old tractors. 

Be 51 in a couple months and feel the same. Oldest boy was the only one really interested in farming. He just got married Friday.  He always talked like he wanted a farm. But here a while back said he didn't know if he did or not cause all he ever seen me do was work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2020 at 9:17 AM, MarkG said:

I don't know what country he is from but he needs to learn to speak English. 😂😂😂

No he need to speak American!  😂

 

Look into if you can...how you want to etc.  Local fella is 85..500 cows and worse employees youve ever seen.  Wants someone to take it over..kids are flakes.  But now its neen on "too tired to care" for so long its so sad.  He never had stopped to enjoy life.  Has a barn walker and church Walker.  I dont know what my future us (46) but i dont wanna be him.  Now my dads 74.  Comes 5 days a week.  Does what he feels like or helps when one of us is gone.  Goes home when he wants.  Hes stiff and wont get knees fixed.  We frankly dont let him do much with equipment now.  But ask him to patch some tin or figure out how to install the new to us 2nd milk tank...hes in hog heaven.  Very grateful hes here.  Now my Mom is 66 an a reathome nurse for 30y.  Cannot fathom quitting since the whole place will burn if she takes a day off.  Dad like to travel some....she wont.  Cant do anything.  Then ifff he gets her on a missions trip or a visit to his brothers in AZ she has a ball.  Gets home...that was good for awhile.  Makes no sense.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1466fan said:

Be 51 in a couple months and feel the same. Oldest boy was the only one really interested in farming. He just got married Friday.  He always talked like he wanted a farm. But here a while back said he didn't know if he did or not cause all he ever seen me do was work. 

Im 41 and didnt know I wanted to farm until I moved to the big city and worked the big city job and found out how great it is working for yourself on the farm instead.   Then when i had figured out I wanted to farm and come back people said,  whats he doing here?  He HAS a job he doesnt need this rent ground.   So... you need to take the time to understand what you want to do, but, dont take TOO long...

As for retiring... I was ready to retire the moment i started working... I have thousands of projects and things i want to build and do with my life.  No clue why people are sitting around in their old age watching the clock tick away their years.   Only reason i go to work is to make $$ to fund my own projects.  People say... OH youll miss work when you finally hang it up.  I say,  you are so full of S&^% you have no idea.   Working for someone else is a necessary evil until you have a bankroll big enough to work for yourself.

If you want to know when to hang up the wrenches,   Id say. do it at the first possible moment you can provide a comfortable life, insurance, ect, by working for yourself.   Use the industry to hone and master your skillset and then, do your own thing.   When you want to sit back and relax.. take on an apprentice and pass on your KNOWLEDGE so they have a quicker road to independence!  Then, tell me where you are so I can get a decent mechanic to work on my stuff.   Id 1000 times over rather send my stuff to be worked on by an individual who knows what he is doing, and cares about my equipment than drop it at the dealer.  And yes.  Id pay a premium too.   

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting read guys.   I am now 48, 6 years ago the company I work for approached me with an offer to be a welding supervisor, took it.  I work in an office now and work with my hands at home.  I have taken the time in the office to further my education, I now have a Mechanical Administrator license, and some other credentials.  I hope to depart the company around 55 and work my own one man shop.  We will see.

 

good luck guys

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 1466fan said:

Be 51 in a couple months and feel the same. Oldest boy was the only one really interested in farming. He just got married Friday.  He always talked like he wanted a farm. But here a while back said he didn't know if he did or not cause all he ever seen me do was work. 

My uncle had four boys and tried hard and hoped one of them would wanna farm but none did. And this was 20 years ago. And I believe it's the hours that scare them away. Just my .02.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, red tractor fever said:

My uncle had four boys and tried hard and hoped one of them would wanna farm but none did. And this was 20 years ago. And I believe it's the hours that scare them away. Just my .02.

It's just as likely they have been used as slave labor and didn't want to do that to their children.  Been there. cab

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, 615 spike said:

It's just as likely they have been used as slave labor and didn't want to do that to their children.  Been there. cab

Never made mine unless I just had to have help. Oldest liked driving tractors so he helped out quite a bit haying and feeding. And he got paid during hay season. Knew a lot of kids when I was in school that complained about being slave labor that had a lot nicer stuff than the rest of us too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...