Jump to content
Slick1256

3186 hds cc

Recommended Posts

Steering is very loose. i.e. you have to turn wheel alot to get a little at wheels. I do know damage was done by someone turn steering wheel when it was not running. Repeatedly (Power steering)  anyone know the fix for this problem?? A friend mentioned a bidirectional valve maybe?? Thanks for any info

Slick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No damage should incur steering it when not running.  Bi-direction valve is inside the steering handpump.  Don't see how it could get damaged. You are supposed to be able to steer it in case the engine dies for emergency.

When you turn the wheel until the steering stops, does the steering wheel continue to turn if you hold pressure against it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes when you turn steering wheel all way right to "stop" and hold pressure against it the steering wheel will keep turning with some resistance. Turns both ways against stop but less resistance when turned all the way right. 

Any thoughts J-Mech??

Thanks Slick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many turns of the steering wheel from full left to full right?  

If anything, it likely needs the steering cylinder rebuilt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, J-Mech said:

How many turns of the steering wheel from full left to full right?  

If anything, it likely needs the steering cylinder rebuilt. 

they do go bad and they are an all welded unit so the average person won't rebuild it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

J-Mech 1 3/4 turns from all the way left to all the way rite. Btw only 725hrs on this machine I don't know what the life expectancy is for a steering cylinder, but has probably been that way for 150 - 200hrs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R190 said:

they do go bad and they are an all welded unit so the average person won't rebuild it

 

I am very aware.  But hydraulic shops will, and you can still buy new ones last I checked. 

47 minutes ago, Slick1256 said:

J-Mech 1 3/4 turns from all the way left to all the way rite. Btw only 725hrs on this machine I don't know what the life expectancy is for a steering cylinder, but has probably been that way for 150 - 200hrs

1 3/4 turns full left to full right?  Doesn't sound to me like anything is wrong with it at all.  What is the problem?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your constantly moving steering wheel to keep it straight n when u get to end of row to turn around it takes more n more turns as it get warmer. Someone said moving the steering wheel when it's not running will cause this problem that were they bi-directional valve was suggested. Idk. That why im asking on here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Slick1256 said:

Your constantly moving steering wheel to keep it straight n when u get to end of row to turn around it takes more n more turns as it get warmer. Someone said moving the steering wheel when it's not running will cause this problem that were they bi-directional valve was suggested. Idk. That why im asking on here

No, moving the steering wheel when it isn't running won't cause it.  

How many more revolutions does it take when it's warm?  You need to give some factual data.  As hydraulic fluid heats up along with components, it may take more movement.  Maybe go to two full turns left to right.  Still, that is acceptable.  When the oil is hot, and you dead head the steering, does the steering wheel continue to turn?  It's the same question as before, yes.  But how does it change when the machine is hot?  Have you checked the front wheel alignment?  What is the condition of all the tie rods?  Is the axle twisting on the pivot pin within the bolster, or moving fore and aft when attempting to steer?  All these are possible causes of having to constantly correct the steering while driving.  However, a worn cylinder can cause similar symptoms.  If all the mechanical components are in good working order, replace or rebuild the steering cylinder.  Steering cylinders tend to wear the bore out in the center position, making them hard to hold straight, and difficult to diagnose as faulty.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...