Jump to content

dewalt 20 volt adaptor to 18 volt?


Recommended Posts

Haven't tried one but if you have some 20 volt and aren't going to sell your 18volt it is money well spent.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

we got one when they first came out, the battery sticks and its a pain to get out and like was said before it does make the tool more bulky

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

ok guys laugh all u want but im still using my 19.2 craftsman rigs - my buddy has all the 18v dewalts and they are better tools for sure than my sears but cant fault the sears they have been holding up a long time for a non business application for personal use, im guessing all my sears stuff is probably made by ryobi or someone like that 

I didnt have the big bucks to spend on the sears at the time like my buddy on his dewalts - i got a bunch of other stuff for 19.2 on c/l for dirt cheap as well as NIMH batteries for cheap too they have been great batteries so far had them about 4 yrs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I still use by "plug into the wall 115 VAC rig", I have never spent my own money  on a battery powered tool, except my Fluke 83.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 88power said:

we got one when they first came out, the battery sticks and its a pain to get out and like was said before it does make the tool more bulky

I agree it’s not really easy to get the battery out.

But if you have a tool you don’t use often I think it’s a good option vs. replacing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

ok guys laugh all u want but im still using my 19.2 craftsman rigs - my buddy has all the 18v dewalts and they are better tools for sure than my sears but cant fault the sears they have been holding up a long time for a non business application for personal use, im guessing all my sears stuff is probably made by ryobi or someone like that 

I didnt have the big bucks to spend on the sears at the time like my buddy on his dewalts - i got a bunch of other stuff for 19.2 on c/l for dirt cheap as well as NIMH batteries for cheap too they have been great batteries so far had them about 4 yrs.

In the same boat don't use them enough to justify a upgrade.The drill is has been around a long time. Used it to drill big posts to hang gates.My kids bought me the impact,was not expecting much from it. As long as batteries are around they stay.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the adapter for my dad as he has an extensive 18v collection and is slowly switching to 20v. The adapter is hard to get off and makes the tool heavier and bulkier. If you are able, just start buying 20v tools. It does work tho. But the brushless 20v Max XR tools are the way to go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2020 at 9:39 PM, pt756 said:

anybody try one? guy at Fastenal said a few guys are using the adaptor on their 18 volt tools with a 20 volt battery about 75 dollars?

if you look around dewalt  has a package  of 2 - 20v batteries and the adapter in a package.

got ours wen buying new 20v batteries at Fleet Farm

don't have   any  18v  tools to try it on

Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

ok guys laugh all u want but im still using my 19.2 craftsman rigs - my buddy has all the 18v dewalts and they are better tools for sure than my sears but cant fault the sears they have been holding up a long time for a non business application for personal use, im guessing all my sears stuff is probably made by ryobi or someone like that 

I didnt have the big bucks to spend on the sears at the time like my buddy on his dewalts - i got a bunch of other stuff for 19.2 on c/l for dirt cheap as well as NIMH batteries for cheap too they have been great batteries so far had them about 4 yrs.

Yep, You, Me, and Ray aren't laughing. At my last job, same parent company that owned us also owned Porter-Cable and Delta power tools. 3-4 times a year I could get great deals on "SOME" power tools, but cordless tools were NO bargain, a 19.2V drill, one battery and charger was $225. I bought two Craftsman 4 tool sets about 4 years apart, $165 each on Black Friday sales, and SON bought me a Lithium-Ion impact & drill set for Christmas. I even bought the wife a 19.2V string trimmer. I have a 5-1/2" circular saw, sawz-all, fluorescent light, high intensity search beam light, 3 drills now, impact, right angle drill.  Son makes fun of my 19.2V tools, He has complete sets of both 12V & 18V Milwaukee FUEL tools.  The Craftsman and Porter Cable 19.2V tools are almost identical.   I only have 3-4 good batteries anymore, and I've bought replacements a couple times. Still have my corded tools too. Got some Dewalt, couple SKIL, 2-3 Black & Decker, and several Porter Cable, Milwaukee, and 1 or 2 Craftsman. I found the Craftsman corded tools over-priced junk.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have some of the 19.2 volt Craftsman stuff too. Actually like the 1/2" drill as well or better than any other I've used. These keyless chucks suck for the most part. had to get new batteries for them last fall, and charger. They seem to be a big upgrade over the originals.

At some point I'm going to look into a Rigid drill. I hate to start on another brand but what the hay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Have some of the 19.2 volt Craftsman stuff too. Actually like the 1/2" drill as well or better than any other I've used. These keyless chucks suck for the most part. had to get new batteries for them last fall, and charger. They seem to be a big upgrade over the originals.

At some point I'm going to look into a Rigid drill. I hate to start on another brand but what the hay.

Getting old and have nerve trouble in my right arm so very poor grip,I use a Vice Grip made to open for 2 inch or bigger pipe. Like everything sometime the no tool chuck is good other time maybe not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for replies the reason is we still need a grease gun and am leaning toward the 20 volt dewalt, we like a lot of guys have quite a few of 18 volt tools and don't get used a lot, there was a kit for sale from dewalt at napa , 20 volt grease gun and a impact driver that was a bare tool, for about 250. last month they would trade in a broken cordless grease gun and sell you the kit for 200. our Lincoln 14.4 volt greae guns have served us well but are getting up there in age,

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2020 at 1:55 PM, IH Forever said:

I agree it’s not really easy to get the battery out.

But if you have a tool you don’t use often I think it’s a good option vs. replacing it.

yeah we have half n half so sometimes we would have to switch

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...