Jump to content

New white truck..almost done!


Recommended Posts

Got the frame shortened, Axle moved, new driveshaft made and body switched over. Should be a somewhat nicer truck, had a local fabricator do the frame work, just not enough hours in the day, he did an excellent job. I’ve been wiring lights and finishing up odds and ends. 
the new is a 90’ top kick with 3208 cat and an Allison 643

the old is a 76 C65 with a 427 tall deck . 

05550EDF-34E5-429D-87FC-AD78FD7A70D0.jpeg

25231E34-3D80-4AD1-9DD9-2C7D470F0A27.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Interesting. We don't see many twin cylinder dumps down here. 

It’s a heil body, the cylinders are about all that’s left of it though 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple trucks with twin cylinders but they are both on the inside of the frame, both gallon. Never seen them on the outside of the frame. Thx-Ace.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice progress!  Don't let that C65 get away too cheap.  It still looks pretty clean.  It seems like anything GM Square Body-related these days brings top dollar.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to tell ya but it looks red to me. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, 1466fan said:

I hate to tell ya but it looks red to me. 

Except for the back of the cab!!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, 1466fan said:

I hate to tell ya but it looks red to me. 

And I never seen a 90 foot top kick before.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

It’s a heil body, the cylinders are about all that’s left of it though 

We got the exact same hoist on our GMC 6500 tandem. It's alright. I've seen that hoist on quite a few different trucks around here

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, 1466fan said:

I hate to tell ya but it looks red to me. 

 

13 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:

Except for the back of the cab!!

Red?  White?  Green?   As long as it hauls his dozer I bet that Seth is not too fuss......

Never mind, this is Seth.  He is fussy about EVERYTHING!  (Probably a good quality in an electrician!!)

6 minutes ago, db1486 said:

And I never seen a 90 foot top kick before.....

If Seth is that bad about estimating length it is a good thing that he is not a carpenter!!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1586 Jeff said:

 

Red?  White?  Green?   As long as it hauls his dozer I bet that Seth is not too fuss......

Never mind, this is Seth.  He is fussy about EVERYTHING!  (Probably a good quality in an electrician!!)

If Seth is that bad about estimating length it is a good thing that he is not a carpenter!!

 

4 minutes ago, RichardDSalyer said:

And his wife is understanding and a good sport!

Something tells me his wife was aware of that dilemma long before she and him ever dated😱

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 1466fan said:

I hate to tell ya but it looks red to me. 

The 76 used to be white, actually it used to be red, then someone painted it white before we bought it. When i painted it red it stayed the white truck. The 90 is green underneath as seen in the back of the cab. Anyone’s guess why it got painted red, cab is rock solid so I really can’t figure out why they took the time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, db1486 said:

We got the exact same hoist on our GMC 6500 tandem. It's alright. I've seen that hoist on quite a few different trucks around here

Put a new PTO and pump on this one, amazing how much faster it dumps, slow as death coming down though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

 

Red?  White?  Green?   As long as it hauls his dozer I bet that Seth is not too fuss......

Never mind, this is Seth.  He is fussy about EVERYTHING!  (Probably a good quality in an electrician!!)

If Seth is that bad about estimating length it is a good thing that he is not a carpenter!!

Me? Fussy?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice truck.  Would love to have something like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Put a new PTO and pump on this one, amazing how much faster it dumps, slow as death coming down though. 

Ours is sure quick and pretty good coming down too but it is a 19 foot grain box so alot more weight there. For some reason on ours I cant get the air to stay out of one cylinder so it always lifts just a little bit crooked. Have to rebuild the cylinders I think

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good. I just couldn't help myself. Lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

After modifications that impact the structural integrity of a vehicle what does it need to be re-titled, registered and insured as?  In TEXAS anything goes on a non-DOT farm truck BUT in more controlled States what are some of the issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Put a new PTO and pump on this one, amazing how much faster it dumps, slow as death coming down though. 

Check your up/down cable adjustment .  On my 88 S1600 someone had installed a different lever at some point and it doesn't have as much throw as the one that should be in it. So, when I first got it, the bed would drop like a rock and struggle to raise up. I had to spend a day playing with the cable adjustment to get it reasonably going up and down, though still slower in both directions than it should be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oleman said:

After modifications that impact the structural integrity of a vehicle what does it need to be re-titled, registered and insured as?  In TEXAS anything goes on a non-DOT farm truck BUT in more controlled States what are some of the issues.

No title over 15 years old in VT.. so most of my fleet. 

 

16 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Check your up/down cable adjustment .  On my 88 S1600 someone had installed a different lever at some point and it doesn't have as much throw as the one that should be in it. So, when I first got it, the bed would drop like a rock and struggle to raise up. I had to spend a day playing with the cable adjustment to get it reasonably going up and down, though still slower in both directions than it should be. 

Will do, it just got put there , I suspect the issue is that it is an inideal valve, it’s intended for down pressure. I haven’t had a load in it yet , the old one had no return, just detents, you could pull into dump Position and then drive while it raised. Was handy. As this is an auto it’s probably not as important to have a free hand. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Alan Dinan said:

Except for the back of the cab!!

Former PA truck?   I was always told that was called a Pennsylvania paint job...................Only paint the stuff that can be seen, back of cabs, front of boxes if its a pickup, cab door jams, under hood joints ect, are not messed with...............And you thin her out real good for the roof to save on buying paint!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Former PA truck?   I was always told that was called a Pennsylvania paint job...................Only paint the stuff that can be seen, back of cabs, front of boxes if its a pickup, cab door jams, under hood joints ect, are not messed with...............And you thin her out real good for the roof to save on buying paint!

No all the west weathersfield trucks are snot green, only thing I can imagine is they thought it would sell better that way, it was painted with the fire body on which is why it’s like that behind the cab. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2020 at 10:59 AM, acem said:

I have a couple trucks with twin cylinders but they are both on the inside of the frame, both gallon. Never seen them on the outside of the frame. Thx-Ace.

I've seen them both ways. I think I remember seeing a old binder once they were on the outside. And my old 72 they're on the inside. And I believe the 79 GMC I drove for my dad they were on the inside. Hated those hoists if you weren't on level ground.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...