IowaFarmall

656 PTO Problem

On 7/25/2020 at 5:27 PM, IowaFarmall said:

Well.....Pulled the rear cover.  Coupler is in place and everything seems to be fine.  Going to go ahead and pull the pump out and see whats going on.  Hopefully nothing too severe.  

On 7/26/2020 at 7:49 PM, J-Mech said:

If no fluid could get through, the pump has been starved.  Better just pull it like everyone keeps saying. 

These International PTOs are actually quite simple systems.  They will continue to function until they have almost completely self destructed.  Cleaning the screen is good, but as mentioned above, it is wise to pull the whole thing out and go through it.

Pressure wash the outside FIRST!, then drain the oil and remove the PTO taking care to tip it to save damaging the pickup tube.  The IHC repair manual tells you how to do it step by step and how to fabricate the tool to press the clutch spring apart and together.  Good luck!!

13 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

I had the same thought, but can't imagine a spline or gear slipping that would not also slip under heavy load (like enough to kill the engine).   The only time the noise happens is on startup.

There are no gears inside a 656 PTO.  Only the pump gears.  The only splines there are are the splines on the clutches, and the splines on the main shaft driving the PTO.  If any of them were stripped, the PTO wouldn't work.  The only gears that could be making noise are the ones up front in the trans where the IPTO shaft makes its entrance into the trans housing then drops down to the lower shaft.  Outside of that, there are the splines in the clutch, but if any of those splines were bad, you would have known it by now.  They would have stripped clean.  My bet is it's in the mower, and the noise is traveling up the PTO and into the belly of the tractor.  If I'm wrong, I'd be digging deeper if I was you.  Doesn't sound pleasant.  But you have got to determine where the noise is coming from.  Front, rear, center or from the mower. 

On 7/22/2020 at 9:18 PM, IowaFarmall said:

Dug into the PTO on my 656 which has never worked since i purchased it.  The fluid is full and i changed the filter.  I am going to change the fluid but wanted to get this fixed before changing in case I have to pull the PTO.  I was hoping the small pin had broke but unfortunately this was not the case.  When you engage the PTO absolutely nothing happens....no sound no trying to start.  So on to the next thing.  Going to try and check pressures if I can get a set-up made with a gauge.  From what I have read 270 lbs is "normal" with no more than a 40 lb drop on to off.  I guess my big question is I see a lot of information/posting about the pressure relief valve.  Everything else on the tractor works so I have a hard time thinking this could be the issue but I am no expert.  My hitch does drop down when not running.  Seems this could be related to a leak in the return line above the PTO?  Can this have that great of an effect on hydraulic pressure to where the PTO would not want to engage?  Any information is appreciated !!!  Thanks!!!

Try it on something else the pto driven or have it dynoed for slippage My 656 runs a shredder also and when starting a heavy load at lower engine rpm it makes a rattle noise also but holds solid at high engine pto speeds 

1 hour ago, ksfarmdude said:

Try it on something else the pto driven or have it dynoed for slippage My 656 runs a shredder also and when starting a heavy load at lower engine rpm it makes a rattle noise also but holds solid at high engine pto speeds 

I'd say this is what describes mine as well...a rattle noise when starting a heavy load.   Definitely from the PTO module itself- not from up by the clutch.   The mower on a different tractor has no rattle.

47 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

I'd say this is what describes mine as well...a rattle noise when starting a heavy load.   Definitely from the PTO module itself- not from up by the clutch.   The mower on a different tractor has no rattle.

Its did that noise for years on mine , after I rev it up full pto speed its quiet if I overload it in tall brush and it pulls the engine down half speed it will make the ratttle noise somemore but never slips at full throddle I just attribute it to worn clutch discs mines never been rebuilt and not going to worry about it