IH 656 Wide front end question

Hello so after finding out that the 656 I recently one off a auction has a M-450 series of wide front end which makes it sit up higher in the front I looked into finding a replacement for it so after looking around of Facebook market place I found no 656 wide front ends people were willing to part with. But what I did find might be better a 856 wide front end with 8 bolt hubs. Since I am going to replace the front end anyway would I be able to upgrade to a 856 wide front? Is it just as simple as taking the old widefront off and putting the new heavy duty 856 wide front on? We plan eventually to throw a loader on this 656 and it seems a upgraded front end would be beneficial for this even though we wouldn’t use the loader for any tough jobs as we don’t feed/move round bales or any heavy objects like that.  The 856 that is being parted out also is pretty unique as it has dual hubs, a factory cab, and a standard drawbar instead of a 3pt. It’s not a wheatland I case anyone’s wondering that. This is the nearest IH tractor to me which is being parted out as it’s in Eastern PA and shipping a widefront I’ll bet isn’t cheap.  I just want some opinions on it first. I supplied some photos of the parts tractor below if anyone’s curious. The reason they have the tractor up for parts is that the TA’s out on the low side.

2A0C7806-E57D-4AE1-89B0-BFDEC039C0F6.jpeg

A3DF246A-8EC2-4D87-8CDC-3ABC5196F725.jpeg

• Sad 1

Thats a pretty flimsy reason to part out an 856 imo.

• Like 2

Take the cab off that 856 , put a TA in and give it the Long Farms treatment ....... 

Don't know what the answer is for your question

I like em both. Not sure on the front end but think a lot of those do interchange? I agree with the other guys tho if you could swing it, would be cool to buy the 856 and fix it. If it has no other problems you can use em with low out, sometimes for a looong time.

The 856 axle will bolt under your 656.  Not sure if the rear wishbone support will fit.  The frame rails on the 656 are narrower.   May need to use the one off your existing rear support.  You will like the heavy 8 bolt front axle for loader work.

PS. Someone needs to save that 856!

• Like 1

856 - dual hydraulics, 2 speed PTO, 8 bolt front hubs, good rear tires, I agree....unless you need 3pt this is a buy if its priced right.  Even got a windbrake pushing snow in the winter!

Honestly think that front end is too heavy for under a 656...and the 856 would be a much heavier loader tractor.  However, if the 656 size is what you need (low barn, small jobs)  then sure.

If anyone wants to pursue buying the tractor it’s in Kutztown PA I don’t think it would possible for me to buy the tractor for a loader tractor as we only have a certain amount of room and a 856 is way to big for the size of our farm and we just got a 656.  

1 hour ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

The frame rails on the 656 are narrower.

Do you mean the rails themselves, or the spacing between the rails? Because, the spacing is the same at the front bolster on both tractors.

Apparently the whole tractor is 5500 and the cab and dual hubs have been sold

3 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Do you mean the rails themselves, or the spacing between the rails? Because, the spacing is the same at the front bolster on both tractors.

Spacing between them may be narrower.  Front bolster pattern is the same.

15 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Spacing between them may be narrower.  Front bolster pattern is the same.

Spacing is the same until the rear maybe six inches where it narrows to fit the smaller bell housing. It should be a direct fit

• Thanks 1

An 856 wide front will fit a 656 no problem. IH offered two wide fronts on the 656. The only difference was the spindle size. The light duty had 3/4" thread and the std duty had 7/8" thread. I bought a 460 a few years back that had the std duty wide front. Put in on my 806. 

1 hour ago, cedar farm said:

An 856 wide front will fit a 656 no problem. IH offered two wide fronts on the 656. The only difference was the spindle size. The light duty had 3/4" thread and the std duty had 7/8" thread. I bought a 460 a few years back that had the std duty wide front. Put in on my 806. 

Alright good to know unfortunately after messaging the owner they said that at this time they aren’t going to part out the widefront which is a bummer but it’s sounds like they are waiting for someone to buy it and if they don’t get any buyers then they will part the whole tractor out

The hd factory or  dealer installed wide front from IH for the 656 was the EXACT same as the one for the 856 same kind and code / attachment number  the hubs did not come with the front end from IH the number of bolts in the hub was decided by the tire size nothing else. We replace many of the standard ( light duty0 narrow fronts with the factory hd wide front ',used to stock them had to buy two hubs & bearing kits  from parts  One time Dad ordered 3 NARROW wide fronts instead of the usual still have one or two of those tubes tie rods we made work

Try calling Martin salvage in pa like tp said.  Maybe you can sell your axle once you find the correct one and come out alright on the deal.

When I bought my 656 it had a schwartz wide front on it.  Long story short it has an IH one on it now.

That 856 is really close to me.  Too bad it isn't in the budget...

18 hours ago, brewcrew said:

Spacing is the same until the rear maybe six inches where it narrows to fit the smaller bell housing. It should be a direct fit

I could not remember for sure!  Thanks for correcting me.

Runs real good, TA was out and no 3 point was what I remember about it. Good and straight with good rubber. I sure hope it doesnt end up in pieces but people do what they want to do.