3 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Check the air gap on the clutch.  Out of adjustment and it won't work.

Will do, but prev owner said belt came apart and tore wire/plug out of clutch. I havent looked closely at it yet. I read a few old topics after i posted my question and saw you recomended that company somwhere. Looks like a good deal. I will also check with Dt and see what info he has. I want to get it running first before getting too carried away on the clutch. 

Im sure it was obvious to you guys who know more about them what it was. I just didnt realize or recall that mtd made any red ones. 

On 7/24/2020 at 9:44 AM, iowaboy1965 said:

Sounds good Dt. Looked at it a bit last nite. Confirmed previous owners diagnoses of no spark. Had 12v to it and other pole had 12 off and on as turning over. That lead went to points it looked like so i assume points are working. Weird 2 spark plug pole coil. Probably nothing new to some but not sure ive seen that before. Love to have a spare to try. I suppose they are pricey, everything i need usually is. Lol.

I used a $20 aftermarket Harley coil in place of the oem $150ish coil.  Been running that way for 2 years now.  Not a pretty install but effective and cheap and reliable.

• Thanks 1

That is what i need!

I had some success today after installing a borrowed harley coil and cleaning some stuff from the carb that looked like apple jelly with insect eggs in it( probably not , but reminded me of that) i got it to fire and run as well as move back and forth in the shed!

Whats even better i flipped the deck switch just for giggles and it sounded like it may have engaged. Belt is off right now so im not sure but i may be in better shape than i thought.

Now to run what looks like gas with 2 cyle oil out of it (drained some from tank and it was blue) and get some fresh in it. 

8 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

2 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I had some success today after installing a borrowed harley coil and cleaning some stuff from the carb that looked like apple jelly with insect eggs in it( probably not , but reminded me of that) 

Now to run what looks like gas with 2 cyle oil out of it (drained some from tank and it was blue) and get some fresh in it. 

You took the carb apart and cleaned it, then ran it on gas out of a tank you didn't clean?  Or you ran it out of a jug or something? 

Drained a couple quarts out of line on carb side of clear fuel filter. Po owner stated he thought he ran out of gas and put some in. Either he said earlier this summer or i took it that way. Smelled and looked like something that would run an engine. Hooked a hose extension on at carb after removing carb and cranked till i confirmed fuel pump worked and flushed line all the way to carb. What was in carb was diff color and consistency from what was in tank. No i didnt clean tank. Yes i should have. Yes i might get to do it again.

On 8/3/2020 at 9:00 AM, iowaboy1965 said:

Yes i might get to do it again.

Likely.