So i got cub fever again. Saw a 682 locally and looked at it after work ran last year but no spark this year when he tried to get it out. Bought a new farm store mower. Was his father in laws before so he knew a little bit about it. 

Tin didnt look to bad and i believe all there. Dash looked pretty decent. Worst thing about it besides not running is deck belt frayed and tore wire off/out of elec clutch. 😬  also he had grill but was not in it. His FIL broke part of the latch or something that holds it in. We took tin off and looked but could not figure out for sure how it went together and worked. 

Where does this piece go or is it even for this?

20200721_204352.jpg

20200721_204402.jpg

Didnt think to take pics while i was there but suppose to pick it up tomorrow. Going to be off for a dr appointment so should work out good. It has a 38c deck. Kinda wish it had next size bigger. Oh well. 

20200721_204347.jpg

That piece bolts onto the hood on the inside.  It is broken in two.  If you have the other half, you might be able to have it welded back together.  It is aluminum.  

• Thanks 1

Hood hinge.....very common break point.  As stated, can be welded, but will always be a weak point.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. That makes sense now. I saw 3 tabs under leading edge of hood that this must bolt to but the way he was describing how he thought it worked i wasnt putting it all together in my mind. Hopefully

13 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Hood hinge.....very common break point.  As stated, can be welded, but will always be a weak point.

14 hours ago, J-Mech said:

That piece bolts onto the hood on the inside.  It is broken in two.  If you have the other half, you might be able to have it welded back together.  It is aluminum.  

he has the other half and can find it other wise im gonna have to figure something out. Does this piece also hook to top half of grill  somehow to keep it in? Kinda how he described it.

Got it home. Now if i can find the time to work on it AND the 123.

20200722_130519.jpg

20200722_130510.jpg

• Like 1

Watch it. Cub Cadets can be kind of addictive! Definitely need a bigger deck, 50C would be best but good finding one that's not shot. I think I have two, maybe three 44 inchers not sure if they are A's or C's. I can check if you would like. pretty sure I've got three of them, don't need that many as the ones I mow with both have 50" decks.

• Like 1

20200722_171029.thumb.jpg.fb6212b2146b3402bcd1f3e858d3479c.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Watch it. Cub Cadets can be kind of addictive! Definitely need a bigger deck, 50C would be best but good finding one that's not shot. I think I have two, maybe three 44 inchers not sure if they are A's or C's. I can check if you would like. pretty sure I've got three of them, don't need that many as the ones I mow with both have 50" decks.

Ya i might be interested in another deck after i get this running, thanks. Of course then i will have to find a differnt clutch too....

So far the guy i bought it from hasn't been able to find the other half of the aluminum hood hinge thing. Said he would keep looking but i may have to find another or try to fabricate something. Thanks for the picture Jmech it helps a lot.

Dont fab it.....check around for a used hood......they shouldn't be too hard to find.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Ya i might be interested in another deck after i get this running, thanks. Of course then i will have to find a differnt clutch too....

So far the guy i bought it from hasn't been able to find the other half of the aluminum hood hinge thing. Said he would keep looking but i may have to find another or try to fabricate something. Thanks for the picture Jmech it helps a lot.

I'll check to see what I've got, pretty sure there is a good one at the farm with the right pulley. Need to dig through that pile anyway, there are some suitcase weights under the decks that I think will look good on the 756 some day.

• Like 1

Here's one of my 782's when I bought this tractor it had 2 barn door hinges bolted to on top of the hood. Made up a new bracket with 3/8 x 1" steel.

IMG_0596.JPG

• Like 1

Puddle welded it to the inside of the hood through holes which had been drilled for the barn hinges, installed a 1/4" bolt on each side,  by the (782) to secure the side panel, could pass as factory made but much stronger.

Carl

IMG_0597.JPG

• Like 1

Made in CANADA   NOT    JAPAN

Could easily  be made in USA also

Carl

IMG_0598.JPG

• Like 2

Wow that looks like a nice 782 Carl! Like you loader too! And thank you very much for the pictures or your fix. Very nice looking repair and as you say i bet its stronger too. I think maybe i could try something like that also.

Does that have power steering since the loader is on there? Did they come with power steering? I thought only hyd deck but im still learning about these.

I do have one pretty nice 44C, (I think) deck. It has the right pulley on it anyway. One skid is in need of some attention. It's not going anywhere, let me know if you want to take a look sometime.

• Like 1

Sounds good Dt. Looked at it a bit last nite. Confirmed previous owners diagnoses of no spark. Had 12v to it and other pole had 12 off and on as turning over. That lead went to points it looked like so i assume points are working. Weird 2 spark plug pole coil. Probably nothing new to some but not sure ive seen that before. Love to have a spare to try. I suppose they are pricey, everything i need usually is. Lol.

Also anybody have a reasonable place for replacement clutches if i end up needing one? Looked at partstree.com last nite and they wanted over 600 for a new elec clutch....about twice to 3 times what i assumed they might be but first i ever checked. Might need to find a parts machine or somebody parting one out. Anybody have any luck taking these clutches apart? I see some of parts are available instead of whole thing.

So reading some old threads this must be an mtd built machine? Didnt realize they ever built a red cub.

20200723_182927.jpg

20200723_182924.jpg

Red CC for IH Ag dealers & yellow /white CC for stand alone Lawn & Garden dealers.

http://Xtremeope.com

• Thanks 1

Give me a call some time, 641-521-3575. I've got a line on getting pto clutchs rebuilt. The uncle will be up tomorrow, will quiz him about that hinge, he may have one.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Give me a call some time, 641-521-3575. I've got a line on getting pto clutchs rebuilt. The uncle will be up tomorrow, will quiz him about that hinge, he may have one.

Will do. Thanks!

Check the air gap on the clutch.  Out of adjustment and it won't work. 

MTD built 82 series used a different wiring system for the PTO clutch.  Lots of additional safety devices IH didn't use.  This one will use a relay on the left side of the dash tower behind the left side side panel.  Safety switch in the dash for reverse to cut out PTO, the seat switch, key and PTO switch all tied together.  Check for power going to the PTO.  If none it's likely a glitch somewhere in that system.  Apply 12V directly to the clutch to check operation.  Engine off, clutch will click on if air gap is correct.

I knew it was MTD built when you posted a picture of it.  It has a black front and rear axle.  IH built were all red.  Later the dash tower was also changed to black.  

If the PTO is bad, replace with one from the link above.  New clutches by xtreme are better made and rebuildable.  Plus cheaper than OEM. Good luck. 

• Thanks 1