I recently rebuilt a D310 and installed a new oil pump.  I’m running 15w40 oil.  On startup my oil pressure spikes to about 90psi and after it warms up it drops to 50.  If I really work her hard it’ll drop down to 30 at idle.

Outside temperature is 80 degrees.

is this normal?  I’m using a $80 auto meter mechanical gauge.  I haven’t checked any other gauges.

The oil pressure gauge and light take about 3 seconds after startup to begin reading pressure.  

I would be very, very, very happy with that oil pressure.

• Like 1

^^ what he said. Mine is a fresh overhaul with rebuilt oil pump. Cheap auto parts gauge and it gets down to around 20 hot when you idle it down. Thinking no more than 60 on startup and it stays between 35-45 while in use. Thats 15w40 mobil.

I ran #1 case IH 30wt in it the first 2 oil changes and I believe the oil pressure was slightly higher across the board. I dont mean by alot. I'm not disputing what kind of oil your running and doesnt matter to me. Just throwing what mine does out there. I'd be happy with yours. One thing to note I didnt do cam bearings. They werent that old on mine and looked perfect so i went with it. That is probably why mine is a little lower. It was just a gamble I was willing to take to prevent the cost of line boring etc. If they would of showed wear I wouldnt of even considered it. I had a liner seal leaking on a recent overhaul from someone before me. 

Warning lights are renamed idiot lights for good reason!

Our idiot light bar on the 2001 Gillig Bus RV has 60 idiot lights, comes with a reference book so the operator can determine what to do. One lights up as a 30 second warning if the computer decides to shut down the engine. Another warns that the emergency spring brake is going to set  in XX seconds due to loss of air pressure.  That one probably tells the operator why the bus just came to a rapid stop.

On July 22, 2020 at 3:46 PM, Missouri Mule said:

^^ what he said. Mine is a fresh overhaul with rebuilt oil pump. Cheap auto parts gauge and it gets down to around 20 hot when you idle it down. Thinking no more than 60 on startup and it stays between 35-45 while in use. Thats 15w40 mobil.

I ran #1 case IH 30wt in it the first 2 oil changes and I believe the oil pressure was slightly higher across the board. I dont mean by alot. I'm not disputing what kind of oil your running and doesnt matter to me. Just throwing what mine does out there. I'd be happy with yours. One thing to note I didnt do cam bearings. They werent that old on mine and looked perfect so i went with it. That is probably why mine is a little lower. It was just a gamble I was willing to take to prevent the cost of line boring etc. If they would of showed wear I wouldnt of even considered it. I had a liner seal leaking on a recent overhaul from someone before me. 

So....if oil pressure was better with 30W, why not use it??? I have seen that comment so many times on this board, how there is less blow by and better oil pressure but outright refuse to use it... I don't get it.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

So....if oil pressure was better with 30W, why not use it??? I have seen that comment so many times on this board, how there is less blow by and better oil pressure but outright refuse to use it... I don't get it.

I will next time. I'm almost done with a drum of mobil. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully this isnt a hijack...

On the topic of cold oil pressure, what is a typical maximum?  I have a DT466c truck motor and when cold the pressure goes to 100+ at any rpm over about 1500rpm.  The gauge goes to 100psi, so I have no idea what the actual pressure is.  At cold idle it’s like 55psig.  When I say cold, I mean like 60F.  I go ginger on it until the temps pick up.  Hot idle is in the 25 to 30 range.  Hot at 2000 rpm would be like 50 to 60.

According to my IH Basic Engine Service manual for D-155, D-179, D-206, D-239, D-246, D-268, D-310, D-358, DT-239, DT-358, DT402 German Engines,
Oil pressure for new engine, low idle 13 PSI, high idle 44 PSI, old engine low idle observe oil pressure warning light, high idle 36 PSI.