mader656

Small dozer

Yes on the ROP’s , the trees will kill you long before the tip over and I would tell you from y experiment to stay with Cat just because of there parts and service . A few years ago I restored my dads D 6 /unit#2 and our Cat dealer was able to get me every parts I ordered and I thought that was something , 1957 machine . 
‘Unless your going to keep going with this type of work your better just renting one , keep in mind when you rent , one scratch ,dent , broken window 😳 you get to pay to fix .

Good luck , Danny 

• Like 2

I like my cats for that reason also.  Older ones that I run are built very heavily and anything I ever needed was the next day at worst.  ROPS are a must for me as even a dead branch laying in a live tree that's hidden will fall and get you.  

Don't be afraid to look a little further afield for one. Here everyone seems to think that there is gold under all that rust and dirt if it has tracks. The older IH machines are almost impossible to find parts for. Some of the later ones that were still in production when Dresser was bought by Komatsu to the best of my knowledge may still be supported but that may just be filters too. The other guys are right. Parts are going to be your biggest concern. No parts means a machine that will shortly be in the fence row. I like my Cats but people seem to be real proud of the Cat name and want paid accordingly. AC/Fiat Allis may be hit and miss. I haven't seen a Fiat Allis dealer in decades. I I know some AC guys who complain about lack of parts for older machines. Of course AC is about impossible. I looked at an AC HD4 before I bought my D4. When I checked for parts all I could find new were steering clutches. So as far as parts support I'd say you can'd go too wrong with Case, Cat or Deere.

If it wasn't for the welding I'd say rent. Good luck with whatever you do.

Rick

25 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

Don't be afraid to look a little further afield for one. Here everyone seems to think that there is gold under all that rust and dirt if it has tracks. The older IH machines are almost impossible to find parts for. Some of the later ones that were still in production when Dresser was bought by Komatsu to the best of my knowledge may still be supported but that may just be filters too. The other guys are right. Parts are going to be your biggest concern. No parts means a machine that will shortly be in the fence row. I like my Cats but people seem to be real proud of the Cat name and want paid accordingly. AC/Fiat Allis may be hit and miss. I haven't seen a Fiat Allis dealer in decades. I I know some AC guys who complain about lack of parts for older machines. Of course AC is about impossible. I looked at an AC HD4 before I bought my D4. When I checked for parts all I could find new were steering clutches. So as far as parts support I'd say you can'd go too wrong with Case, Cat or Deere.

If it wasn't for the welding I'd say rent. Good luck with whatever you do.

Rick

Have had no issues getting dresser parts, most come in Komatsu wrapping 

13 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Have had no issues getting dresser parts, most come in Komatsu wrapping 

OK wasn't sure.

Rick

1 hour ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Yes on the ROP’s , the trees will kill you long before the tip over and I would tell you from y experiment to stay with Cat just because of there parts and service . A few years ago I restored my dads D 6 /unit#2 and our Cat dealer was able to get me every parts I ordered and I thought that was something , 1957 machine . 
‘Unless your going to keep going with this type of work your better just renting one , keep in mind when you rent , one scratch ,dent , broken window 😳 you get to pay to fix .

Good luck , Danny 

I plan on adding really  heavy expanded metal or decking to it as well. 

I’m not going to be any help. A few things I’ve noticed in my searches for a dozer, cheap ones are only cheap if it can be scrapped for or close to what you paid for it.

Old orphan  ones are worth scrap because they’re are no parts available. Buy what you want if you think you have enough use for it. Cheaper the better if possible.

If you find that a dozer is absolutely essential for your business ,then  while you’re piddling around on a cheap “scrap value” dozer you can be looking for something more favorable and reliable. Because you won’t find one when your needing it. But you might stumble onto one when you don’t need it. 
This is the approach I’m taking. I want a dozer to do some cleanup work. Renting one would require me to take time off to get the work done to make it cost effective. Buying one allows me to take my time and do a better job, without requiring me to burn up vacation time. Hiring it done, I would do half the work I want done for the same money I can be a cheap one at.
Idk what’s the best approach but I know the approach I’m taking. Good luck!

I think dirtboyz pretty much summed it up CAT is the way to go.

Getting parts for a 57 is good coverage try that with any of the other brands.

Ihfan4life has a good point get a cheep machine see if it works for you.

Then find another in better shape possibly the same machine newer and you already have a parts machine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes please don't get one without ROPS.  Cause we would all miss you.

We bought a JD450E, not running, last year.  Dont care to tell you we paid less than $6k.  Got less than $7.5k in it now, running.  Been real happy with it.  All parts readily available.  Unlike that old IH TD6 I really, really wanted...

20191022_184620.jpg

• Thanks 1

Again rent.

😉

Again rent.

😉

I agree Cat support can not be beat. And a D3 would be a great machine for this.  Last one I saw for sale was over 20k, and needed work.

I personally don’t think that Cat had a good small dozer until after the JD 350/450 had been out for awhile.  To me the Cat small finish dozers were a bit rough for small finish work until the 80’s

and Troy is right, rent, just go cut a deal with the local rental company, have the brackets for bolting it on and a deal, add the cost to the job.

Should just sign on the dotted line but can't do the debt. Start at 80k up to 300,000

Now its the waiting game...

Screenshot_20200722-080612.png

• Confused 1

Probably not going to cut it on terrain that needs a dozer but I've thought one of these ride on trenchers would make a good power unit for building fence.  They are 4wd with locking differentials, 4 wheel steer and plenty of hydraulic capacity to hang a post hole digger on one end and a driver on the other and still have the 6 way blade.

https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/165445745/1998-vermeer-v8550a?OHID=165445745

I don’t know much about it, but wouldn’t a tracked skid loader with a post driver attachment be a more practical and convenient and useful machine?  Perhaps even more justifiable? Seems they have every attachment you could need for a job and quick attach to boot

On 7/21/2020 at 10:12 AM, mader656 said:

I plan on adding really  heavy expanded metal or decking to it as well. 

Is it just me, or am I reading about the building of "KILLDOZER II" lol!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

I don’t know much about it, but wouldn’t a tracked skid loader with a post driver attachment be a more practical and convenient and useful machine?  Perhaps even more justifiable? Seems they have every attachment you could need for a job and quick attach to boot

Thought. About that too. Need safe on off access too with boom raised so ID have to be open station or roll up door. 

1 hour ago, Injpumped said:

Is it just me, or am I reading about the building of "KILLDOZER II" lol!

Shhhh....i dont hate masks that much...yet.

• Haha 1

Mader...some wild a$$ ideas.

Don’t remember where you are at on the post pounder, but maybe make it a self-contained unit with it’s own engine, pump and parking feet.  Another power source would be to tap the dozer tilt cylinder circuit with a diverter valve.

Then use hooks to hang it on the blade of a rented dozer with ratchet binders hooked down to the cutting edge to hold it down and back.   This would let you use a machine with a winch and quickly set it off to use the blade. 

If a tractor has a ripper, use it like a three point hitch to lift and carry the pounder using the ripper tooth pockets.

As others have said, rent for now to get experience with a dozer.  It is a cheap way to help decide to invest or not. If you rent try to get a copy of the rental agreement ahead of time to read all the fine print about insurance, damage, fuel on return, allowed hours, etc.

Brian

10 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

stick with a $15K cat or rent for specific job

from our experience and the dealer being able to try anything on his place

<5 yr nEw anything is fraught with engine, computer,def and other issues LEASE !!!

SS is not the greatest unless completely and only equipped with/for industrial fence equip

tracks of each type are for specific purpose and conditions  the $90K unit got pulled out more than $30K one

he is running a kyote 4wd with qt now

On 7/20/2020 at 8:22 PM, mader656 said:

Terrain like this...and rocky too

0720200912a.jpg

I have to do the same thing on my place  have a 79 Dresser TD8 in Oregon but they wont to much to haul it hear about a 1000 miles cheaper to rent.

6 hours ago, Thomas848 said:

I have to do the same thing on my place  have a 79 Dresser TD8 in Oregon but they wont to much to haul it hear about a 1000 miles cheaper to rent.

Why whatever I get will be small enough to trailer locally with a 3/4 ton pickup

27 minutes ago, mader656 said:

Why whatever I get will be small enough to trailer locally with a 3/4 ton pickup

J d 1010 is cheap enough to have 2 or 3

30 minutes ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

What about a mini excavator, would be easy to get on and off of with the post driver in the air.

It would have to have steel tracks cause I plan to cork them.  Excavator drivers take 2 people mine on a do zer can. Be ran with one... Winch it down as a safety and stay above it. Boild a welder mount somewhere high on the blade. Driver on the back and go. Use flat caps so I can weld them on before driving post...ledd field work.

14 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

J d 1010 is cheap enough to have 2 or 3

when do you last price or find parts.........?

considering letting our   2010 go