Briggs and Stratton filed 11

Just heard from a friend that Briggs filed chapter Eleven! Ouch! Read the caption ,didn’t want to read any more ,

that right ?

oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo thats terrible, i have always supported and purchased their engines, had way better luck with them than any tecumseh so got rid of all those and went briggs on most all my stuff outside of a couple honda powered deals i got 

Hopefully they can re-organize and get in better financial shape. Simplicity is also owned by Briggs so I hope they can stay in business.

• Like 1

Sometimes sarcastically referred to as Bricks and Scrap Iron . . . anyway I kinda liked them.  Usually easy to fix, reasonably reliable. Kind of like the Chevy small block, lots of interchangeability within a line and they didn’t change designs every other year.  I was glad when the pulsa jet carbs went away though.  Too prone to having the diaphragm fuel pump stick.  My other choice is Honda . . . Lot of the same virtues as B&S but higher quality.  

Honda on our main fire pumps but B&S on our transfer pumps.

Have a few around home too.

Hope they can come out of it.

What’s the cost of an engine? Let’s say about 6 hp. 

I’ve never priced one up here, but the chinese Honda’s run around 2 to 3 hundred.

while not a big fan of everything China made the little gasser I put in the go kart has run fine since we built them in ‘04.

1 minute ago, Dasnake said:

What’s the cost of an engine? Let’s say about 6 hp. 

I’ve never priced one up here, but the chinese Honda’s run around 2 to 3 hundred.

while not a big fan of everything China made the little gasser I put in the go kart has run fine since we built them in ‘04.

Is not Honda Japanese?  Big difference in quality between China and Japan.

9 minutes ago, RichardDSalyer said:

Is not Honda Japanese?  Big difference in quality between China and Japan.

We call them chondas, they look exactly like Hondas, even had the red accouterments for a while, they now use black, I figured if I said Chonda you guys would scratch your heads. They are sold at princess auto which I think is like your harbor freight, they sell them beside the Honda line and the price difference is quite substantial, same as gensets, my 2000 Honda has 13 years under its belt but was a pricey item, they have cheap ones at half the price but the quality ain’t there. And ya Japan and China made is a whole lot of different 

When I got my IH push mower last July I had it running within 48 hours. The 3.5 hp B&S engine proved to be reliable. Gas tank was dry and I replaced the air filter. Poured gas in and it started right up. The mower isn’t in rough shape tho, engine was built in ‘74. 

I can't think of the last B&S engine I had,  maybe the worn-out Deere push mower my Father-in-law gave me when we bought our first house back in about 1979.  Been ALL Kohler and one Onan since, but had to buy a pressure washer with a Honda about 10 yrs ago.  Had'nt used it in a couple years and did a quick first oil change on it a year ago, fresh gas and it started and ran in 3-4 pulls. It ran out of gas just seconds after we were done washing the deck,  turned off the water, unhooked the hose put it away. Needed to wash more of the deck a week ago, put about a quart of gas in, pulled the rope 3-4 times and it was running. Had to shut it off several times, restarts were all single pull.

I worked with a guy about 20 yrs ago who worked in purchasing at Tecumseh Engines. He said He wouldn't buy ANY engine Tecumseh made except their snow blower engine, called the Snow Chief or something, especially winterized.

8 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I worked with a guy about 20 yrs ago who worked in purchasing at Tecumseh Engines. He said He wouldn't buy ANY engine Tecumseh made except their snow blower engine, called the Snow Chief or something, especially winterized.

Why, the commonality of Tecumseh's engine line was like GM's, small block..............?   I personally liked Tecumseh engines, it wasn't until ethanol that you started seeing issues with the carb's, and the idea of putting 5W-30 oil in the snow kings so they would blow rods out the block because people couldn't pull the cord in the cold on the same size engine they could in years gone by with 10W30.  

8 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

Hopefully they can re-organize and get in better financial shape. Simplicity is also owned by Briggs so I hope they can stay in business.

I hope you’re right 

"reached an agreement to sell most of its assets to KPS Capital Partners"

Not good they might sell it overseas.

Their troubles had been brewing for a while they eliminated a lot of staff at  the main plant last year.

I heard about this when they contacted me about preparing equipment for an extended shutdown.

Willing to bet they ask us to pack it out for overseas shipment later this year.

We packed out so many in the last ten years for overseas I often wonder where the next generations will work.

The Tecumseh's in the mowers would get a balloon shape to the cylinders.  Top and bottom was fine and down toward the middle way oversized.