Dirty Shower and nothing MODERN will clean it

I am the primary shower and toilet cleaner at my house. I have tried every product for sale at Walmart and none of  them clean worth a crap. 

I would really appreciate the toilet cleaning person at your house sharing their secret receipt or product with me. 

I did have a cleaning lady tell me that baking soda and vinegar would work but that isn't ever going to do anything because those chemicals neutralize each other. Yes, I actually tried the mixture and it does not clean shower stalls.

1 hour ago, oleman said:

I am the primary shower and toilet cleaner at my house. I have tried every product for sale at Walmart and none of  them clean worth a crap. 

I would really appreciate the toilet cleaning person at your house sharing their secret receipt or product with me. 

I did have a cleaning lady tell me that baking soda and vinegar would work but that isn't ever going to do anything because those chemicals neutralize each other. Yes, I actually tried the mixture and it does not clean shower stalls.

I don’t know what you have for a shower but after the glazing has worn off and exposed porous material it becomes stained and nothing is going to clean it. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

Brake clean.

Every time I clean the shower with brake clean I get out hungry...🤔

• Haha 1

Well, we have a shower in our shop at work. It doesn't get used, just there in case we get covered in chemicals. It was real stained, and we don't have much in the way of "normal" cleaners for that stuff so my coworker sprayed it with truck wash acid that we use to clean the stainless steel and aluminum on our trucks. Cleaned it right up! Probably not the best to use, but we had it on hand. That same co-worker was telling me about how his son bought a house to flip. He didn't want to replace the tub/shower, which were badly stained, and like yours, cleaners wouldn't touch it. So he bought this roll on enamel specifically made to recoat tubs. He was skeptical, but figured he'd try it anyway. Said it had some real strong fumes, so you know it must be good stuff. He noted that after rolling it on it was bubbling and had air bubbles all over in it, and furiously tried to keep rolling them out. It finally set up, and I guess it's a very hard, shiny surface, just like a new tub, and it was fairly cheap. After it was all said and done, he read the instructions that very specifically stated not to worry about the air bubbles, that was caused by the product chemically bonding with the tub, and would go away on their own as it cured. He said it turned out really well and was real happy with it.

1 hour ago, RBootsMI said:

Well, we have a shower in our shop at work. It doesn't get used, just there in case we get covered in chemicals. It was real stained, and we don't have much in the way of "normal" cleaners for that stuff so my coworker sprayed it with truck wash acid that we use to clean the stainless steel and aluminum on our trucks. Cleaned it right up! Probably not the best to use, but we had it on hand. That same co-worker was telling me about how his son bought a house to flip. He didn't want to replace the tub/shower, which were badly stained, and like yours, cleaners wouldn't touch it. So he bought this roll on enamel specifically made to recoat tubs. He was skeptical, but figured he'd try it anyway. Said it had some real strong fumes, so you know it must be good stuff. He noted that after rolling it on it was bubbling and had air bubbles all over in it, and furiously tried to keep rolling them out. It finally set up, and I guess it's a very hard, shiny surface, just like a new tub, and it was fairly cheap. After it was all said and done, he read the instructions that very specifically stated not to worry about the air bubbles, that was caused by the product chemically bonding with the tub, and would go away on their own as it cured. He said it turned out really well and was real happy with it.

I need some of that stuff!

I use KaBoom. Yes, that's really the name and it's pretty good on soap scum and the stains it entraps. Like VT says, once the shiny surface has gone they're tough to clean/keep clean but KaBoom with a little brushing is pretty good at it. It's got some fumes.

You're right about the baking soda and vinegar neutralizing each other but, baking soda and vinegar DOES work; it works while it's reacting. I use it for cast iron dishes. It's a trick my grandma taught me so I don't have to use soaps or nasty chemicals on the porous cast iron cookware, which can absorb and take on the taste of cleaning agents. The way I was taught was this: sprinkle the baking soda out on the pan and cover everything you want cleaned and then add the vinegar. Gently scrape while reacting. I don't know if the cleaning is primarily chemical or mechanical, but it works like a charm.

I don't know as though it'll help you, but it works really well on dishes.

Our toilet had a couple nasty stains then a slow to no drain. I went to ace hardware and got the nasty chemical drain cleaner I think it was hydracloric acid drains good and stain is gone. Just wear ppe.

Also, I'm nto sure is your "dirty" is rust, but Evap-o-rust (or however it's spelled) works great on steel parts. Don't know how it would do on porcelain.

18 hours ago, oleman said:

what kind of stains are you talking about that would help in providing chemical recommendations, also is your tub/shower fiberglass or ? that will also make a difference. Are we talking stains, soap scum, scratches from pumice stone grooves, various chemicals work wonders but most all require Elbow Grease sometimes a lot of it. My wife has cleaned homes for over 20 yrs and I help at times. She works 10x harder than I ever do in a days time unless im working on broken stuff - nothing easy about cleaning. 

Oven cleaner.  Most brands of oven cleaner are basically Sodium Hydroxide.  Sodium Hydroxide is very effective in tearing apart organic molecules, which is what most stains in the shower are.  Have used it many times in our shower and tub for bad stains.  I would advise testing a small area first.  Also do not get it into your eyes!  Major eye damage will result.

2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

what kind of stains are you talking about that would help in providing chemical recommendations, also is your tub/shower fiberglass or ? that will also make a difference. Are we talking stains, soap scum, scratches from pumice stone grooves, various chemicals work wonders but most all require Elbow Grease sometimes a lot of it. My wife has cleaned homes for over 20 yrs and I help at times. She works 10x harder than I ever do in a days time unless im working on broken stuff - nothing easy about cleaning. 

The stand alone shower and sauna tub are both gel on fiberglass, toilet is porcelain. Iron / rust is not the culprit, just looks like soap-scum.  

Could be I am too concerned about damaging the Gel-Coat. 

Cast iron pots and pans are not a problem,  Bring the utensil to be cleaned to a boil with dishing detergent. Let it cool and scrub it with SS pad.  Let it dry, if it has developed rust. Lightly scrub/polish with 4-0 ss (smooth scotch-britht pad.) heat in oven to hot and mop it down with OLIVE OIL. and let it dry in dish drainer.   Never allow cast iron to sit in an un-clean state.  Best cast iron is AMERICAN MADE  LODGE.

Muriatic acid, and then 3 or 4 thin coats clear spar varnish from a rattle can. Acts like new.

Find a good hardware store and ask for "Santeen".

This is some nasty stuff so be very careful.

It will remove about any stain, if it can be removed.

It also removes the scale in a toilet so it flushes much better.

You can put this in the bowl and saran wrap the top to hold the fumes in.

Let it set for at least 12 hours for the best results.

A little in the tank takes all rust out.

But again, wear gloves and be careful!

my wife says...............provided the porcelin isnt damaged/ruined from lack of cleaning she uses softscrub w/bleach and clorox cleanup are her weekly regimen for customers, however once the glaze is gone off the toilet its a moot point it will only get so good. 

2 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

my wife says...............provided the porcelin isnt damaged/ruined from lack of cleaning she uses softscrub w/bleach and clorox cleanup are her weekly regimen for customers, however once the glaze is gone off the toilet its a moot point it will only get so good. 

Clear spar varnish will restore the glaze.

5 minutes ago, cobfly said:

Clear spar varnish will restore the glaze.

thats the customers problem my wife doesnt refinish them - maybe she can start offering that for extra $$ lol 

I have had good success cleaning things that I do not want to damage the "glazed" finish by using the product designed for cleaning glass top stoves. It is a smoother product than using straight grits like Comet or Bar Keepers Friend.

FYI, I also use this to keep my car headlight lens covers clear and shiny!

Good luck.