• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally got the old girl out in the field Sunday. Replaced all the sections on the sickle, many new guards, and re-shimmed for proper cutting clearance. After getting a shine on things it worked good.

I'm going to try to document the repairs going on with my combine. Toward the end of harvest last year I discovered the bearing blocks at the front of the auger bed were shot, really bad. Bought new o

Gave this thing a pretty serious flog today. The uncle drove up from Lacona to help, he wasn't too impressed with the heat though. The augers for the auger bed did not come in but the clean grain one

Posted Images

Plain cotter keys don't last, I think the ends of the auger flighting need to be 180 degrees apart. I will see if I can find out for sure later today.

• Thanks 1

Going to see if I can find some SS cotter pins in Newton Ia. today. Want to put this thing together tomorrow and really don't want to make a 50 mile trip for two cotter pins. Don't want to have to open her back up in the future either.

Edit; Grinnell has them, going to take the scenic route to work and pick up a couple. 

Stainless steel has a lot of chrome in it, that would give it an abrasion resistant quality, I can see that.

Thanks for the tip Kal! Really don't want to take that access panel off ever again!

• Like 1

Before you get it all together double check how the augers time,it's been a long time since I have done one and I can't find my service manual. 

Spent the day Friday working on this auger thing. What a battle! Those cotter pins are cantankerous. Just not enough room to get in there and bend them. After getting the vertical auger in we moved on to the horizontal where things fell apart. Got it installed, told the uncle, "just going to hairpin this thing till we're sure it's right. Glad I did! When we put the tube on it, no can see the end of the auger. Uh-oh. Ling story short, got it from a 1440 that the end was gone and failed to measure it. As chance would have it, I actually had a good auger, just didn't know it! Came from the salvage 1460, thought to be to long. It was in the roll off at the farm for storm damage clean-up, had to dig it out. I thought it was junk, noticed the day it went in the roll off the flighting looked good other than the elbow end. Cleaned that up and put her together, was a LONG day but feels good to have her (almost) back together.

Saturday, went to an auction where there was a 17.5' 1020 head I wanted. Well, I wanted it until I got there and looked at it. I want one to run this year and that wasn't going to happen! Had talked to a guy at Jefferson about a similar one, got it bought. Was after dark when we got home so will have to get it off the trailer today.

I'll get some pictures of things today if the rain holds off.

Pictures from the weekend. The 'New' head is going to need some work to get in shape. Looking at the forecast, next week is looking better for harvesting soybeans than this. That should give me time to sort things out. I took the extension off the muffler and added the raincap, (from the auction, case-IH no less) because getting a building to keep this thing in is probably a next year thing.

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG

• Like 1

Just a FYI. It is not recommended to use a rain cap with the aspirator system as it supposedly causes back pressure. Think the issue will be you start plugging up the air cleaner with exhaust. Nice looking machine. I think every repair you have pictured has been done to mine over the years too. The hour meter on mine is sitting at 5710 right now. 

Just got mine put away for the winter today. 1460 on steroids', 1470 the hillside version. The pictures are not of my machine but gives you an idea how far off level they will go. Notice the feeder house front adapter is still level with the ground which would mean the header would be level with the ground if attached. My guess is a check valve in one of the leveling cylinders was leaking and let the machine go over. Which reminds me I need to block mine into place so it does not move into the shed over winter. The last picture is why IH built a hillside machine. That is pretty close to max level at that point. 

post-6794-0-60246400-1353301037.jpg

post-6794-0-86214800-1353300709.jpg

1470Right (Copy).jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

X2 on the rain cap. It doesn't let the ventury work to pull some of the dirt out of the air cleaner.

Not doubting you guy but mine has the rain can and the air filter stays clean 

Finally got the old girl out in the field Sunday. Replaced all the sections on the sickle, many new guards, and re-shimmed for proper cutting clearance. After getting a shine on things it worked good. The combine preformed great too. Beans are done and no corn to combine this year, going to clean her up and put 'away'. Next July or so I'll get back to the hydraulic drips and other things that I didn't have time to address this year.

IMG_0714.JPG

• Like 6
2 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Finally got the old girl out in the field Sunday. Replaced all the sections on the sickle, many new guards, and re-shimmed for proper cutting clearance. After getting a shine on things it worked good. The combine preformed great too. Beans are done and no corn to combine this year, going to clean her up and put 'away'. Next July or so I'll get back to the hydraulic drips and other things that I didn't have time to address this year.

IMG_0714.JPG

Looks great!  Glad you are done.  Wanna come over to Grinnell and tackle some down corn.

2 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Looks great!  Glad you are done.  Wanna come over to Grinnell and tackle some down corn.

Thanks, going to have to pass on the down corn. I need to get mine 'destroyed' yet.

5 hours ago, DT Fan said:

IMG_0714.JPG

Was wondering  if you had started yet. Nice to be done. Still a bummer about your corn and other damage.

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Was wondering  if you had started yet. Nice to be done. Still a bummer about your corn and other damage.

Thanks, didn't take long once we got to the field. Still fixing things before putting her to bed for the year. Replaced a missing finger in the auger today, 10 teeth on the real, need five more plus some extras as they seem kind of brittle. Age and sun exposure I assume.

When I first engaged the feeder, it had a horrible clunk in it, pulled the inspection cover and found a ball-peen hammer, in two pieces! Just what I need, another hammer to fix. Actually, going to hang it on the wall of shame.

Really disappointed about no corn to combine, can be a pain but I really enjoy it.

Getting ready to put things away and trying to button some things up so I don't forget them. After fixing the fingers the access panels were next on the list. They are supposed to have 6 screws apiece, one had three, the other, two. No threads left if the other holes. I drilled the holes missing threads and tapped them 5/16"-24. Had to massage the holes in the panels just a little, not bad. Put red loctite on and hope I never have to take them back off! Just a little heat will break the loctite if that becomes necessary. Didn't want one of these things coming off and going through the combine.

The head is just about ready to go on the trailer and be done with it for now.

IMG_0718.JPG

• Like 1
On 9/29/2020 at 8:48 AM, DT Fan said:

Pictures from the weekend. The 'New' head is going to need some work to get in shape. Looking at the forecast, next week is looking better for harvesting soybeans than this. That should give me time to sort things out. I took the extension off the muffler and added the raincap, (from the auction, case-IH no less) because getting a building to keep this thing in is probably a next year thing.

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG

1.5 or 3 inch sickle? I have the 1.5 on mine I was thinking about going to the 3 inch because I think it would cut better and I could move a little faster

It's 1.5" cut. I put all new sections in the sickle and a bunch of new guards. Cut pretty good. Wanted to go 3" but a lot of $$$. 

On 10/9/2020 at 4:54 PM, DT Fan said:

It's 1.5" cut. I put all new sections in the sickle and a bunch of new guards. Cut pretty good. Wanted to go 3" but a lot of $$$. 

What year is yours and how good does your steering and your auger go out and in ?

23 hours ago, Wi Ih said:

What year is yours and how good does your steering and your auger go out and in ?

I think it's an 82. The steering does have a glitch, gets jumpy feedback at times. Will look into that next year. The auger works fine, little slow at times and definitely need to have the engine spooled up. Priority valve I'm sure. Don't know if that can be improved on or not. 

9 hours ago, DT Fan said:

I think it's an 82. The steering does have a glitch, gets jumpy feedback at times. Will look into that next year. The auger works fine, little slow at times and definitely need to have the engine spooled up. Priority valve I'm sure. Don't know if that can be improved on or not. 

Thanks for the info 

Time to put this thread to bed until next July. I got most of the major concerns taken care of, need a few parts for the new bean head. No big deal. Combine just needs some hydraulic drips fixed. The valve stack seems to have quit? Not sure how that happens. I did change two pressure hose on it, maybe that the drip was coming from.

We are a year out on a new building. Neighbor loaned me a couple of big, heavy tarps. So here she sits, as away as possible this year.

IMG_0735.JPG