Sign in to follow this  
yellowrosefarm

Keeping car ramps from sliding on concrete floor

I have a smooth concrete floor in my garage and occasionally use those common steel ramps for oil changes, etc. If the vehicle isn't 4x4, when I start to drive up the ramp, it just scoots forward. I've tried a lot of things in the past and found that so far what works best is some carpet strips with rubber backing under the front of the ramp. I know you guys have experienced the same thing and am interested in what you do to avoid this irritation..

As I had a set of steel ones with side brace collapse LONG ago, built 2 wooden sets. One 2x8s and one 2.5x 10s.

Also have a plastic pair for light stuff. 

Wood stays put and plastic have rubber feet.

20200716_190027.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think any kind of rubber mat would help. Now I want to tell you a story. 

I myself admit to doing this. Had a car up on one changing the oil. Well front wheel drive car kept spinning out, so I got it up as far as I could but it wasnt quite up top. Looking a little sketchy I stuck jack stands under it as well. Well before I even got my stuff ready one of the ramps shot out on it's own and about took my legs out. The jack stand caught it and luckily I wasnt under it. That was the end of my oil change ramps on concrete. I now just jack the car up and use jack stands or I use ramps outside. Even with the Jack stand it came down enough it could of pinned me under the car. I'm a big guy and take up a little room. I like my kids too much to use those things any more on concrete. 

• Like 3

When I had my shop I drilled 1 hole per side and and used a 2x4 then put bolts and washers through tied them down tight and laid it down when I would want the ramps for use, that way I could work on the different stuff we had and not have a bunch of holes. Just a thought. 

• Like 2

Bolt a piece of rubber belting or tire tread on the beginning of the ramp underneath so you start to drive on the belt

• Like 2

I use Race Ramps.

They may not be rated for heavy  vehicles. 

I put a sheet of plywood on the floor put the ramps on the plywood.

Helps keep the floor clean too.

• Like 1

I had that problem and quit using them because they Peed me off.  

I have a somewhat bent and twisted ramp from a Cronkite trailer that I use to do oil changes with.  Weights 100 LBS and is built like a tank so I don't have any issues with it moving or collapsing under weight. 

• Like 1

I built this set for the semi.  Rough cut 2×10 15949478852235368967178382908111.thumb.jpg.135b492b507bfaa3908977d5fc6bb3c5.jpg

• Like 2

Metal ones I weld a short piece of chain to them. 

• Like 2

I've found the simplest, quickest and safest way is to put the ramps outside the door against the doorstep. I do it before it gets too cold.

• Like 1

My small car can't climb those ramps because the nose will hit first. I usually park the car where I want it and Jack it up with a floorjack then place the ramps under the tires. My other vehicles sit high enough I Jack it up just enough to get the tires off the ground then put Jack stands under the frame

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

My small car can't climb those ramps because the nose will hit first. I usually park the car where I want it and Jack it up with a floorjack then place the ramps under the tires. My other vehicles sit high enough I Jack it up just enough to get the tires off the ground then put Jack stands under the frame

Sometimes you can put a 2×6 or two  in front of the ramps, it will allow your bumper to clear 

• Like 2

as a safety i use car/pickup rims lay biggest flat on floor, 16"?, then 15 inside that,14 inside that, ect, ect, when you get vehicle up, slide rims under, you can bolt together if wanted. (do not forget to remove before coming down)🤥 

• Like 1

And how often do we see cars on cement blocks?

AND WITH THE CELLS HORIZONTAL!

SMH....

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, MTO said:

And how often do we see cars on cement blocks?

AND WITH THE CELLS HORIZONTAL!

SMH....

Even the solid ones are not safe.

I was putting new frame cross members in one of my pick ups.

I had taken off the bed, gas tank, rear end and springs out so it was bare frame.

I needed the stands it was sitting on so I put it on soild cement blocks.

A few days later I had a flat on the other truck so I jacked up the front of the truck I was doing the frame fix on to grab a front tire.

Well it split the solid block the back of the frame was sitting on when the load tranfered from jacking up the front..  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nate said:

Bolt a piece of rubber belting or tire tread on the beginning of the ramp underneath so you start to drive on the belt

I think I've been trying to modify the wrong end all this time. Thanks for that!

• Like 1

Jack and jackstands here. Quit using ramps a few decades ago after one collapsed. 

• Like 2

Used jacks and jack stands for years here but bil gave me a heavy set his dad had. Started using them when my jack got crappy. Is a strip of rubber glued under center support of ramps. No trouble sliding and like said above if i have trouble with bummper dragging i have a couple 2×6s i lay at begining part of ramp to get the clearance needed to start up ramp.

• Like 1

I use them daily.

Solid wood doesn`t slide or collapse.

A stand will fail first.

• Like 2

A simple, fast solution is a piece of cardboard underneath the stands.  That is an age old trick in warehouses when loading trailers with the removable ramp as well.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MTO said:

I use them daily.

Solid wood doesn`t slide or collapse.

A stand will fail first.

Yep a ship that weighs in a 2,800 tons rests on clear fir staging mostly 6" X 8" X 36" or so,  carefully placed by divers when in a drydock.  If anyone thinks commercial divers have an easy life GUESS AGAIN!

• Like 2

On 7/16/2020 at 7:05 PM, nate said:

Yep.  We called those "Bob blocks"  at Manatts, when I worked there. A fella named Bob made the first set. Then every truck mechanic wanted a pair. A hole in the rubber belting was a great handle for carrying them.

• Like 2

i built these for the semi 2x10s bolted and glued together. very handy for CTL oil changes too

1595110109226946821293.jpg

6 hours ago, edwardporter1 said:

i built these for the semi 2x10s bolted and glued together. very handy for CTL oil changes too

1595110109226946821293.jpg

Use the ctl to place them too...