756 No. 14125

17 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Tree guys showed up today, so I didn't get a lot of time to work on this! However, I did jump the solenoid and she turns over. Now I just need to find the problem with the wiring. After that I PUSHED her to the South end of the concrete, hopefully out of harms way if something goes awry with that tree that's coming down.

Got some of the tree cleanup done, maybe 20%. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, guess what I'll be doing.

Clutch safety switch? Had trouble with that on the 826 a time or 2.

2 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Clutch safety switch? Had trouble with that on the 826 a time or 2.

Thanks, I'll look into that when I get caught up with the trees. It's in the wiring somewhere, just have to check things out with the meter.

3 hours ago, DT Fan said:

It's alive! Got it started today. Props to Aaron. Still a long way to go but at least it runs.

It was very satisfying to hear it run for the first time!  You still have a few little adjustments to make, but definitely getting there.

Thanks for the nickel tour of the farm,  sir.  The old 1066 looks good out front, stopped on my out the driveway for a peek! 

20210717_184909.jpg

• Like 4

Quick update;

Screwed a new sediment bowl in today, big improvement. Didn't like the drip when it was on.

Put a freshly charged battery in, started a little easier today. Low, high, and reverse all work. Pto too.

Somebody hooked the power steering lines up wrong, Glad I didn't have time to drive around, it's hard to steer the wrong direction!

I 'think', or maybe hope, I installed the new thermostat wrong as it is getting warm way too fast. That and the steering are the next things to solve.

It seemed to run better today, suppose the rings may be a bit sticky and are loosening up?

• Like 1

Tree guys didn't show up today, hurray!

She went for her first real drive today. Having some issues with crap in the fuel tank, kind of expected that, still sucks! Seems like it runs better all the time, rings seating back in I assume. When we first started it, lots of blow-by, that has diminished to maybe 5-10% of what it was.

Was going to test the T/A today, someone has misplaced the handle!

The front-end/steering are great, will need one tie rod in time,but that's pretty minor.

I 'think' the overheating was just an air bubble. Took the t-stat out, when I filled it back up with antifreeze it took way more than I drained out. Doesn't get hot now.

When I get the fuel issue down to a dull roar she's going for a serious road trip.

The 301 seems pretty energetic, at least compared to the uncles 706.

Guess I did take one pic in a different setting, this is about where I was going to turn around and head back. Got to walk back, get the truck and an air tank to blow the crap out of the fuel neck.

IMG_1076.JPG

• Like 4

Up and down day with this project.

The up; T/A is strong! Man that is a good feeling.

The down; Still fighting crap in the fuel tank/sediment bowl. Thought I had it under control so I went for a ride. At least I got back closer to the shop today before it quit. Sediment bowl not flowing fuel again. Long story short, got the fuel flowing again, seem to have lost spark. Wouldn't start anyway. Had to leave it where it quit as I needed to get back to town. Boy am I glad I didn't take her out on the road!

Will check things out in the morning, hope I can at least get her back to the shop tomorrow.

7 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Up and down day with this project.

The up; T/A is strong! Man that is a good feeling.

The down; Still fighting crap in the fuel tank/sediment bowl. Thought I had it under control so I went for a ride. At least I got back closer to the shop today before it quit. Sediment bowl not flowing fuel again. Long story short, got the fuel flowing again, seem to have lost spark. Wouldn't start anyway. Had to leave it where it quit as I needed to get back to town. Boy am I glad I didn't take her out on the road!

Will check things out in the morning, hope I can at least get her back to the shop tomorrow.

You might want to take the tank out and have someone clean it out. And I would highly recommend putting one of those strainers in the bottom of the tank that kind of stick up right and filter the fuel before it comes into the sediment bowl. I remember when I bought the 806 from my uncle it had been sitting for a number of years and after we put fresh gas in it there was a lot of junk in that tank and it was always giving us a hard time and pretty much exactly the problems you’re describing. I eventually took it to a radiator guy and he opened the tank and cleaned it out really good and sealed it back up and then we installed that strainer and I’ve never had any problems since. 

• Thanks 1

Went to the local imp. store and picked up a few things this morning. Decided to go with the 'new' HyTran for this girl. Bought 6 buckets last year, going to save it for the tractors that have it in them already. Not the cheapest route but what the hay.

Picked up an air filter and a gasket for the fuel tank sending unit, got them changed out. Gas was getting out and I've never had more than about 5 gallons of gas in this thing.

Today's picture; Bud-died up with the 826.

I should add, no issue with the spark, must have just flooded it in my panic yesterday.

IMG_1078.JPG

• Like 4

Checked/reset valve lash today after talking to Aaron. That quieted things down a bit. If the tree guys don't show up in the morning I think I'll start putting the sheet metal on. Need to get the hytran changed. That will likely happen Friday. 

No tree guys again, pretty soon they are going to show up and ruin my day.

It was a day of adjustment. Dug up an old thread last night, adjusted clutch, T/A, and trans. brake accordingly. Shifts much better now.

Installed new light switch, they came on once, still work to do there.

Hydraulic seat started working better, then started leaking pretty bad. May have to just cap it off for now, show is going to be here before I'll be able to get this fixed I think.

Started on the sheet-metal re-installation. Found one little dent, dolly and hammer made it go away. Surprisingly smooth.

Wanted to put the timing light on it, couldn't find the spec in the book? It said to contact dealer. Anybody know where to set timing for a C-291-301?

The way she looks now.

IMG_1089.JPG

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cummings1486 said:

Looking good and coming together! What size are those front tires?

10.00x16's. They are on the original, narrow rims. Don't look too bad though. Those rims are one of the few things I want to paint on this thing. 

38 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

10.00x16's. They are on the original, narrow rims. Don't look too bad though. Those rims are one of the few things I want to paint on this thing. 

Ahh gotcha. I couldn’t quite tell and with those narrow rims that is what threw me off but I was guessing that size. Definitely look really nice on there and I would definitely throw a little paint on them

• Thanks 1

No tree guys again today. Much as I sweat putting this old girl together I'm glad I wasn't running a saw!

Got the tin on, found one broken bolt and then made another. Great, now up to three that need drilled out. That will have to keep until after the show.

Worked on the muffler, it's a Stanley, notorious for bad paint. What little I've run this thing the paint was already burning off. Sanded/wire brushed the rest off. Two coats of high temp black grill paint today. One to go tomorrow. Will let cure a day or two before going on the tractor. Looks a lot better black, I think.

Edit; Not my best effort on the muffler pic!

IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_1091.JPG

IMG_1092.JPG

• Like 3

Today's installment, the seat!

Things didn't go exactly according to plan. It's in worse shape than I realized! Had to come off to get to the hydraulic valves that were stuck, now moving, that's the good news.

Going to try to order a seat this afternoon and maybe some other stuff.

Show is only a week away, not sure if I'm going to make it.

How it looks as of now.

IMG_1097.JPG

• Like 1

Well, I didn't get any pics today but.... Got the seat to quit leaking oil! Now if we just had the new seat to bolt on... It should be here Monday or Tuesday.

Changed the Hytran and filter. Quite a job.

Put the timing light on her. I was off a bit on my timing be ear. Usually I get them closer than I did with this one. Dealership said 22 degrees, WFO. Sounds really good now.

Got brave enough to take her out on the road, gets right along. Might take a video some day.

Had Aaron stop yesterday, gave him the last of the first planting of sweetcorn. Second planting is ready but wont hurt to wait a few days.

Suffering from CRS, I did take a couple pics today. One at the power washer and one of the seat components.

IMG_1098.JPG

IMG_1099.JPG

• Like 3

Didn't think I was going to have an update today but the seat came in! K&M, looks pretty good to me.

Tree guys showed up yesterday, spent today cleaning up the mess. Tomorrow, I will proceed with the trees when I'm satisfied with the seat!!

IMG_1101.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DT Fan said:

Didn't think I was going to have an update today but the seat came in! K&M, looks pretty good to me.

Tree guys showed up yesterday, spent today cleaning up the mess. Tomorrow, I will proceed with the trees when I'm satisfied with the seat!!

IMG_1101.JPG

Sweet!  Now I am going to have an opportunity to drive this beast up at Marshalltown this weekend? 😎

3 hours ago, DT Fan said:

IMG_1101.JPG

Looks great! Was the old one beyond saving?

59 minutes ago, Cummings1486 said:

Looks great! Was the old one beyond saving?

Yeah, it's really bad. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow. Found some fasteners that are going to help a lot! Have to weld one of the mounts back together. Things are looking up. 

Aaron, you know you're welcome to drive it around. Need to get some run time on the old girl. 

48 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Yeah, it's really bad. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow. Found some fasteners that are going to help a lot! Have to weld one of the mounts back together. Things are looking up. 

Aaron, you know you're welcome to drive it around. Need to get some run time on the old girl. 

I’d definitely like to see it. And it certainly is coming together good for you.

• Thanks 1

Great update today; Started out getting the broken mount off the old seat, had to grind the heads off of three screws. Found some button-head cap-screws the right size. The ones I found yesterday were too big, oops. Got the broken mount welded back together, nice to have a tig-welder in times like this. Got them on the new seat and headed out.

Took quite awhile putting this jigsaw puzzle back together. I love working on these old tractors but, this seat has been anything but fun. Had to make one new fastener for the slide rail, old one snapped off. Ground two sides off a carriage bolt, wallah. It's not welded in like the original but will do.

18 hours ago, Cummings1486 said:

I’d definitely like to see it. And it certainly is coming together good for you.

Cummings, I took pictures of the old seat for you, it's really tuff.

Here's today's pics.

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG

• Like 2