Sign in to follow this  
DT Fan

756 No. 14125

Going to do a project thread on this old girl. I don't even know where it's going, will just develop over time. I think it's going to be fun!

This is not going to be a restoration. It bothers me how many 'Restored' tractors you see that are just a coat of paint. I'd like to have a dollar for every restored WD or 45 I've seen that don't even have a complete battery box! I'm going to borrow from Brody and call this a 'Fix-up'.

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

• Like 6

My uncle/helper was up yesterday to help with the combine. I couldn't find him at one point, he was studying the 756! His comment was that for a 'non-runner' it's about as nice as you're going to find. I told him, "That's why I bought it"!

Progress is slower on this than I would like but I did get it to the power-washer after the combine. Did the 782 and a couple alley cats for good measure. Removing who knows how many years of dirt and lichen helped a bunch. Kind of interesting moving a non-running machine around by yourself! A low speed affair.

The pics came up out of order but you get the idea.

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

• Like 3

Much like Bill Murry in "What about Bob", baby steps.Had to put a tube in the right front tire. Got it off the rim no problem, had to take it to the tire shop to get it back on! That SOB put up a fight! Also removed the radio, it will be going to the all Allis swap-meet with me next March.

IMG_0526.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

• Like 1

I hope to have a serious update to this later today!

• Like 1

Here's the update; The uncle, helper, enabler, found me a C301 gas out of a 715 combine. Running engine, owner started it, ran good, complete. Price was right, sitting in the shed in the box of the Dodge. This moves up the time-frame of getting this old girl up and going this year! It would be nice to use it pulling some wagons to the elevator this fall. I guess that may or may not happen, will depend on how everything else checks out once the engine is in.

Going to guess this narrows the diesel engine options in the future down to a DT360 or a 5.9, will have to see what I can find. I may like the 301 well enough I don't even want to do the diesel swap, who knows? My plans are pretty fluid, like to just roll with it.

The combine is top priority right now but it is coming along.

He through in a fast hitch off an old plow, will probably make a carryall out of it as there is some tractor-riding in this old girls future.

IMG_0536.JPG

• Like 2

Seems like I’ve seen quite a few 756’s that are gas. That sure is a straight one.

• Thanks 1

More baby steps, while waiting for combine parts to get here. Stripped some stuff off the 301 that has to go. Flywheel, alternator, starter, etc. Big news for the day on the tractor, got the range shifter freed up! It was not moving at all, now goes low to high and over to reverse but does not go into reverse, yet. 

• Like 2

Another day, another baby step. Got the reverse working on the range shifter, that's a good feeling! For no more time than I'm getting to work on this thing I am making some progress. Think I'm going to tear the carburetor apart and start cleaning it up before buying the kit for rebuild. Might as well get that out of the way now.

Started the day by going on a parts run for the combine. Picked up four new augers that go under the rotor and the kits to convert to the new style. Back to work on the 1460 tomorrow. After getting to the farm I installed a new battery cable on the 1066, one end gave up when I changed the cab solenoid. They are over $80 at the dealer. I had some welder cable, bought some solder on ends, back in business for about $22!

• Like 3

The day is starting well. I figure one thing that will help the process is a fresh carburetor. Yesterday I tore it apart and did some cleaning, this morning primer and paint. Two coats to go.

Now to get that combine back together.

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

• Like 2

Progress has been slow on this, I do try to get something done every day though. Saturday got the antifreeze drained, last coat of paint on the carb ANgot the 301 out of the Dodge! That's huge because my 'work' car, (02 Eldorado) has went to North-star heaven. Didn't really want to be driving around with an engine in back.

Neighbor loaned me a stand for the 301, it's none too big. Will strip some of the weight off today.

IMG_0567.JPG

• Like 2

Wow that stand doesnt look none to big! Hope the jack doesnt leak down! 😁  after seeing this in person, it really does look like it is a pretty clean old tractor. I think you done good and looking forward to seeing it running.

• Thanks 1

Yes, the stand isn't as heavy duty as I was led to believe. Getting some weight off though. 

IMG_0568.JPG

• Like 2