1680 cracking corn

Tried picking corn with my 1680 for the first time today and I’m having trouble with it cracking the kernels. I’ve been running 1460’s and 1440’s for 30 years and never had this kind of trouble even in weak corn. Although this corn is very weak and very dry. Here’s where I am so far. Speciality rotor, large wire concaves with every other wire removed. (Only thing I didn’t try was to remove every other wire from the concave extensions...maybe I should have). Bar stock grates. Started with everything set to book settings and slowly made adjustments In small increments. Rotor rpm now down to 100, concaves open to #8 setting. Kept opening bottom sieve thinking it was returning too much. Bottom sieve now open as far as it will go. Everything thing I’ve done has helped but still cracking. I’ve gone from corn meal to large pieces of cracked kernels. Was looking in the book when I got home and the only thing I’m not certain of is the vane setting.  I’m about to fire up my old 1460 and give her ****. If anyone has any suggestions I’m getting desperate 

I’m not a IH combine guy, but 100 rpm rotor speed is very slow and will grind corn at that speed in a gleaner so I’m guessing it would also in a axle flow. I would guess you should be in the high 200’s to low 300’s to move the material through faster. 

9 minutes ago, NY1468 said:

I’m not a IH combine guy, but 100 rpm rotor speed is very slow and will grind corn at that speed in a gleaner so I’m guessing it would also in a axle flow. I would guess you should be in the high 200’s to low 300’s to move the material through faster. 

Normal setting is 400-500 according to the book. Normally run the old 1460 about 450 which is where I started and was making corn meal. Of course that was before removing every other wire from the concaves. I believe I was at about 300 after removing the wires. 

Is it grinding the cobs? Or spitting them out whole?  What is the moisture of the corn? How fast are you driving? What head and how many rows?

Well that’s not good, most be something out of wack with your concave in some way. Something isn’t centered or is obviously running closer then it should. 

1 minute ago, J-Mech said:

Is it grinding the cobs? Or spitting them out whole?  What is the moisture of the corn?

Not really grinding the cobs. I would say they are coming out in halves on the average. 

Forgot to mention the moisture. I never took a sample because I know it’s very dry and I was focused on the cracking issue. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was down around 10 or so on the moisture. 

You may have missed my other questions...

What size of head, and how fast are you driving? Is it decent corn, or low bushels?

I think you are driving far too slow.  Like way too slow.  

I run a 1480 with the specialty rotor large wire concaves, key stock grates. The specialty rotor is known to grind corn, but I've never had much trouble with it, although 15% is the driest I've ever combined with it, at 28% it grinds a bit much.....

280-300 rotor speed,  1000 fan. I've got a non adjustable seive, and run the bottom shoe pretty far open.

Open the concave until the cobs come out whole, then close it until they come out broken, THEN open it back up a bit. You've found your concave setting then. I think pulling every other wire out is part of your problem,  I've never done that.

Dont worry too much about keeping it full, last few years I've ran a 4 row head on mine in 100-150 bushel corn. 

11 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

You may have missed my other questions...

What size of head, and how fast are you driving? Is it decent corn, or low bushels?

I think you are driving far too slow.  Like way too slow.  

Yes I did. Running an 8 row head. The corn is very weak. Maybe between 30-40 bushels. We’re in a terrible drought here and the corn is very short. So short that in some areas of the field the ears are turned down and the silk end is nearly touching the ground. Can’t run very fast because the points are touching the ground and I’m trying to give the gathering chains a chance to grab the ears. On the other end I can get up to 6 or 7 mph. Any faster I start overrunning the header. Seems a little better the more I can jam in. The guy I’m picking for has some better corn in another field so I might move over there and see if anything changes. 

1 minute ago, brahamfireman said:

The specialty rotor is known to grind corn,

This is true.  But it's worse if you don't keep the cylinder full.  MUCH worse.  I see it every fall.  One of the guys thinks the 1688 is a 1460... or maybe a 715.  

Pulling every other wire won't make it grind corn.  That is a common solution to help keep it from grinding actually. 

3 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

I run a 1480 with the specialty rotor large wire concave, key stock grates. The specialty rotor is known to grind corn, but I've never had much trouble with it, although 15% is the driest I've ever combined with it.

280-300 rotor speed,  1000 fan. I've got a non adjustable seive, and run the bottom shoe pretty far open. I think pulling ever other wire is part of your problem,  I've never done that.

Dont worry too much about keeping it full, last few years I've ran a 4 row head on it in 100-150 bushel corn. 

I started out with every wire in and was down to 200 rpm on the rotor with it opened to 6 on the settings. It was still making corn meal at that point 

9 hours ago, cwburrell said:

Yes I did. Running an 8 row head. The corn is very weak. Maybe between 30-40 bushels. We’re in a terrible drought here and the corn is very short. So short that in some areas of the field the ears are turned down and the silk end is nearly touching the ground. Can’t run very fast because the points are touching the ground and I’m trying to give the gathering chains a chance to grab the ears. On the other end I can get up to 6 or 7 mph. Any faster I start overrunning the header. Seems a little better the more I can jam in. The guy I’m picking for has some better corn in another field so I might move over there and see if anything changes. 

Well.  There's your answer.  30-40 bpa, of 10% corn.  Nothing you can do about the grinding.  The old 1400 with the old grain rotor in it won't grind as bad if you want to shell with it, but at that bpa and moisture, your going to grind it no matter what.  Sorry bud.  It's the corn, not the machine. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, cwburrell said:

I started out with every wire in and was down to 200 rpm on the rotor with it opened to 6 on the settings. It was still making corn meal at that point 

I'm thinking you just have really poor corn quality.

• Like 1

Close the concaves to 3,rotor at 300 ,fast spockets on cornhead and every  other wire pulled on front concaves . Also put vanes in fast position the problem is that you are over thrashing the crop because you are keeping it in the rotor to long . With the concaves at 8 you are losing traction on the crop with it at 3 it will move faster through the rotor and the corn will get pushed Thu the concaves quicker and not get ground up.

19 minutes ago, Big Steve said:

Close the concaves to 3,rotor at 300 ,fast spockets on cornhead and every  other wire pulled on front concaves . Also put vanes in fast position the problem is that you are over thrashing the crop because you are keeping it in the rotor to long . With the concaves at 8 you are losing traction on the crop with it at 3 it will move faster through the rotor and the corn will get pushed Thu the concaves quicker and not get ground up.

I agree on the settings and the cause.  I wouldn't go to the trouble to change the vane speed, but only because he may get into better corn, and that isn't an easy thing to change.  But, I agree....  and even after that it will still grind because there isn't enough corn and it's so dry.  I've never even seen 10% corn that I can remember.

Combined 7 semi loads this spring. Corn ran about 95 to105 into elevator which is good for poor land up here. It was light on test weight 49 to 51 lbs. 10 percent moisture in May. 2588 did pretty good job on it. Rotor speed about 250, concave on 4 or around there. Bottom sieve open all the way 8 row head at 3.9 mph. Can go lot faster but field was pretty rough. Will post pictures of corn and combine settings tomorrow.

Sounds like I’m running a dragster in a go cart race. I had a feeling that was the issue but wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. I’ll dust off the old 1460 today....she’ll get the job done. Thanks for all the input everyone 

20 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

I run a 1480 with the specialty rotor large wire concaves, key stock grates. The specialty rotor is known to grind corn, but I've never had much trouble with it, although 15% is the driest I've ever combined with it, at 28% it grinds a bit much.....

280-300 rotor speed,  1000 fan. I've got a non adjustable seive, and run the bottom shoe pretty far open.

Open the concave until the cobs come out whole, then close it until they come out broken, THEN open it back up a bit. You've found your concave setting then. I think pulling every other wire out is part of your problem,  I've never done that.

Dont worry too much about keeping it full, last few years I've ran a 4 row head on mine in 100-150 bushel corn. 

pulling every other wire will let the corn out of the cage sooner and reduce cracking and rotor loss a lot.

The specialty rotor is hurting you the most in this situation.   Have a 1460 with standard and bought a 1480 with specialty rotor to gain capacity in corn.    We changed the 1480 to standard because of grinding and more picky on settings for corn

Wanted to post an update on this. I brought my 1460 out and even it was cracking a little corn. More than I’ve ever seen in 35 years but I was able to adjust it out. The corn was testing below 8% which isn’t that unusual for south Texas dry land corn.  Tried to put my 8 row header on the 1460 but it wouldn’t lift it. Years ago we removed the third header lift cylinder because it got damaged. Been a long haul doing 300 acres 4 rows at a time. Just for the heck of it I changed the vane angle on the 1680 to the fast position and also went to the slow position but it didn’t change much. I tried the 1680 in my irrigated corn that was testing around 11% and it’s still cracking far too much. As Nate mentioned my only solution is a standard rotor. Now I have to decide if it’s worth it to change the rotor or just find another combine. The specialty rotor works incredibly well in milo and wheat. It’s a beast. Maybe I’ll just find another combine with a standard rotor and leave it set for corn. 

I'd grind it out this year and just take it wetter next year.

I ran 15% through my 1480 with specialty rotor,  I was very happy.

Do you happen to have spikes anywhere on your rotor? I've seen a few that had them with rice and tough to thrash grains.

4 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

I'd grind it out this year and just take it wetter next year.

I ran 15% through my 1480 with specialty rotor,  I was very happy.

Do you happen to have spikes anywhere on your rotor? I've seen a few that had them with rice and tough to thrash grains.

Down here anything over 14% gets docked at the grain house and over 15% is subject to being rejected. I don’t have the luxury of storing it in my own bins and drying it. I don’t have any rasp bars with spikes.