Any carburetor guys on here?

Have a marvel shebler TSX series on a massy 150 with continental engine I'm working on. Replaced exhaust manifold and decided to rebuild carb while it was off. Got it all back together and running but now it wont idle unless the choke is pulled partly out and idle screw is all the way in. The only thing I seen that I didnt like when I put it back together was #12 was pretty loose in the the upper housing. Could actuall see a little daylight around one side of it when you look in from the top depending on whick way you held it. Not sure if that could do it or not. They sent two new idle screws with the kit. I matched up the one that was like the old on and installed it. I even took it out and put the old one back in and still no luck. Any ideas?

Marvel Shebler TSX.jpg

41 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Probably a blocked jet.  

Im gonna take it back off as soon as it cools off and see. I hope thats all it is.

i  fixed several of those carb previously rebuilt by others by taking them apart and turning around the venturi  the narrowest part must be below the top of the  discharge tube so vacumm  can be created to pull gas up the tube its easy to put in upside down a mentioned before plastic or brass venturi  brass ones do not give much trouble. Fixed one that way last week customer said he put it in just like it was  tractor ran just as crappy after his rebuild as before previous owner had it in upside down.

^^^ x2 

also check for play around the throttle shaft for play, an air leak there will cause issues. 

• Like 1

This ones made out of what looks like pot metal. My fingers got silver stuff on them after I washed the carb cleaner off of the parts after it came out of the bucket. I took it back apart and didnt see anything plugged and turned the venturi over and it idles better but still dont suit me.

you can fix a lot of carburetor problems by fixing the distributer, improper point gap , irregular point gap ,poor advance etc. Also you might just give it a try and throw a vacuum gage on it  

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, R190 said:

you can fix a lot of carburetor problems by fixing the distributer, improper point gap , irregular point gap ,poor advance etc. Also you might just give it a try and throw a vacuum gage on it  

Yep 90% of carb problems are ignition. The old gm coil in center of cap was good for lots of problems if someone put the wrong screws in.

• Like 1

Float level sounds to low to me especially if screws and or choke virtually solves your issue.

12 hours ago, Big Steve said:

Item 12 is the venturi it has to fit tight you may have it in upside down. Is it plastic ?  Plastic ones have a tendency to warped if the engine backfired.   

THIS IS VERY TRUE !!!!

I think it’s in the idle circuit, Has blockage someplace.

oh how many gaskets in kit ? Does gaskets line up correctly ?

• Like 1

Mine does that very same thing, take apart, clean blocked passage, works great. Then once in awhile acts up, wire to hold choke to finish the day, then mysteriously works good later.  If fuel screw gives you no effect on how it runs, it is in the main circuit. Had a Holley I had to take apart 3 times to finally get the mixture screws to work right

Mark

Is the load screw loose(1A)? There is a packing inside that can go bad and draw in air around the threads. You buy it as an assembly. 

Yeah.  Dads 460 is down and seems to not be getting enough fuel,  drained it last night and hope to get it and the super C running today. Quality time with my dad, can’t beat it

15 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

Yeah.  Dads 460 is down and seems to not be getting enough fuel,  drained it last night and hope to get it and the super C running today. Quality time with my dad, can’t beat it

You get done with that you can come spend some quality time with mine, I could use a vacation.  

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

6 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

You get done with that you can come spend some quality time with mine, I could use a vacation.  

You have a 460?

3 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

You have a 460?

No, I work with my father.

3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

No, I work with my father.

Enjoy it while you can.