Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I am trying to find data on several engines but I am having a hard time. Is there a website like TractorData for Engines?

Also is there a place to get free manual dawnloads? I know that for garden tractors GTtalk is a good place to go but I am having a hard time finding other manuals.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You probably will not find free service manual downloads for farm,  construction and industrial engines unless it is a pirated copy.  Sometimes you just have to pay for good accurate service information.  When you purchase these manuals, the dealer should be sure you get the correct manual for your engine.  “They’re all the same” is just not true.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tractor data should have an engine section if you know what model tractor had the engine data your after

May not be incredibly detailed but should have some basic info

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IH OAK said:

I am trying to find data on several engines but I am having a hard time. Is there a website like TractorData for Engines?

Also is there a place to get free manual dawnloads? I know that for garden tractors GTtalk is a good place to go but I am having a hard time finding other manuals.

Thanks.

you might throw it out there - what engines are you looking for info on, maybe some of the guys here already have it for you on the tip of their tongues ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beware of websites offering free manuals. They are also offering free ransomware, malware, viruses, etc..

Considering how much you have into the tractor/engine, and how much you are going to put into the tractor/engine to overhaul it, I see no logic in quibbling over a few dollars for the manual.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheapest & best thing you ever buy would be repair,owners manuals on ANY  piece of machinery you own.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

you might throw it out there - what engines are you looking for info on, maybe some of the guys here already have it for you on the tip of their tongues ?

I am more looking for the manuals but... 5.5L (TD-9/WD-9), 4.1L (MD), DV-800, DV-573.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IH OAK said:

I am more looking for the manuals but... 5.5L (TD-9/WD-9), 4.1L (MD), DV-800, DV-573.

Thanks.

well im no help i got nuthin on any of them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do you need engine manuals for engines you don't own, and have never even seen? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Why do you need engine manuals for engines you don't own, and have never even seen? 

Maybe because he wants them and if you don’t have anything positive to contribute then keep your comments to yourself 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Why do you need engine manuals for engines you don't own, and have never even seen? 

Because I want to learn and I don't want to be ignorant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, IH OAK said:

I am more looking for the manuals but... 5.5L (TD-9/WD-9), 4.1L (MD), DV-800, DV-573.

Thanks.

Service manual for MD and 9 series diesel: https://www.binderbooks.com/bb-iss-1035.html

DV-800 service manual: https://www.ebay.com/c/1046057871

If you really want to learn then pay the money for the proper manuals. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IH OAK said:

Because I want to learn and I don't want to be ignorant.

If you want to learn, enroll in a diesel technical course at a college, or trade/tech school.  This book (below) is a great base to start out with.  Technical service manuals won't "teach" you anything.  They only give instruction and specifications on the particular engine they are written for.  If you are ignorant to begin with, they offer very little of use.  Unless you like memorizing useless specifications that you can just look up when you need to know them. 

20200717_182955.thumb.jpg.03cc43efaf629f12554766803690c886.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

If you want to learn, enroll in a diesel technical course at a college, or trade/tech school.  This book (below) is a great base to start out with.  Technical service manuals won't "teach" you anything.  They only give instruction and specifications on the particular engine they are written for.  If you are ignorant to begin with, they offer very little of use.  Unless you like memorizing useless specifications that you can just look up when you need to know them. 

20200717_182955.thumb.jpg.03cc43efaf629f12554766803690c886.jpg

Thank you. I will look for this book right away. Any other book suggestions? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I literally just bought this book and I should have it by July 27. Thanks for the recommendation! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IH OAK said:

Thank you. I will look for this book right away. Any other book suggestions? 

Actually yes.  Before you read that one you should get a Fundamentals of Service "Engines" book.  They also have them (FOS) for hydraulics, transmissions, electrical and some other categories.  The diesel book assumes basic internal combustion engine understanding. 

 

2 hours ago, IH OAK said:

I literally just bought this book and I should have it by July 27. Thanks for the recommendation! 

Count yourself lucky.  When I bought my copy in college, we had to buy it from the school's bookstore.  Seems like I gave around $400 for it.  College books are worse than hiway robbery. It should be illegal to mark something up that much. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Actually yes.  Before you read that one you should get a Fundamentals of Service "Engines" book.  They also have them (FOS) for hydraulics, transmissions, electrical and some other categories.  The diesel book assumes basic internal combustion engine understanding. 

All of those FOS manuals are very good to get a good understanding on how things work. All of dads are in the shop from back in the 80's and every now and then I like to just look through certain ones. Excellent way to start. There is one for every section. I think there is about 8 or 9 here. Maybe more

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there is one man in particular that made me what I am today, it is the author of that book right there....John F. Dagel. He was my diesel instructor at LATI in Watertown, SD over 30 years ago. Many a diesel mechanic in this area owe their livelihood to that man. He knows injection pumps even more so than Diesel engines. Proud to say I know that guy on a first name basis. A very down-to-earth, common sense kind of guy. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SDman said:

If there is one man in particular that made me what I am today, it is the author of that book right there....John F. Dagel. He was my diesel instructor at LATI in Watertown, SD over 30 years ago. Many a diesel mechanic in this area owe their livelihood to that man. He knows injection pumps even more so than Diesel engines. Proud to say I know that guy on a first name basis. A very down-to-earth, common sense kind of guy. 

That's actually really cool!  I never thought about who the authors might be.  I too think a lot of my college professors, and my first boss at my first job as a mechanic.  Can't say any were "nice guys", but they knew their stuff and taught us well.  They were good at pushing you to make you better and good at explaining.  In college, if you really wanted to learn, you thrived.  The professor taught the ones that he knew would make it.  The stragglers were left behind.  (That's part of why I say he wasn't a "nice guy".)  Anyway.... I still, 20 some years later, pull that book out for reference.  I had to reference it pretty heavy last winter when I was having trouble with a Bosch pump and needed to know how they were set up.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never been to any type of diesel college or the like but do have several editions of John F. Dagel's books that I use to this day. I remember one of the mechanics at Oliver / White dealer had one of the first Dagel books I had ever seen. After his class was over he gave me the book, since then I have sourced more and any young guy that shows interest in my trade I loan him my books. That said I keep after them to see how interested they really are, if they have had book for a couple weeks and "don't have time to read it" to me they don't have the interest they claim to have an I request they bring the books back. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2020 at 8:26 AM, E160BHM said:

You probably will not find free service manual downloads for farm,  construction and industrial engines unless it is a pirated copy.  Sometimes you just have to pay for good accurate service information.  When you purchase these manuals, the dealer should be sure you get the correct manual for your engine.  “They’re all the same” is just not true.

Be very wary of "Free Downloads" of tractor service manuals. I looked at one and found it had 'malacious" links to spyware. "Something for nothing"  is often a scam. PAY for genuine downloads from reputable suppliers!

Regards from Michael H. in Australia.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only FOS manuals I can find are JD and Ford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, IH OAK said:

The only FOS manuals I can find are JD and Ford.

Fundamentals of Service books are printed by John Deere, but are not specific to anything JD.  They are very good books. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any suggestions for books on baler / knotter repair?

We have a international 47 and I just got it to work today but only by running old hay through it for almost two hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A forum called Hay Talk and sticky posts by a New Holland baler tech goes by Mike10. I think he has stuff on You Tube but I access it from hay talk. Was very helpful to a old guy that had always had wire twisters on all my balers. But since your dealing with a IH don't know how alike they are. But I always heard there are only 2 sets of patiets from the beginning that cover all knoters. From the binder days to the big balers.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...