VacDaddyt

Which will win

So I am concerned that the clutch is not quite right on one of my 560 tractors so when the SIL was around last week I made a little test for the neighbors to gawk at. I hooked them both together to see if it would slip. Well It takes a lot but now I am concerned about the loud crack noise that we got out of it and stopped, happened only once. I have pulled the covers off and spun the lower shaft around not finding any problems. I am thinking to raise one side and spin it again. Afterwards I tried to see if the gears would make noise by loading it down with the brakes but got nothing. Is it possible the M+W hub slipped taking up slack on the keyway could be my noise? I knew it was a risk on black top and we did leave a mark to remember it by. Sorta was fun, just got to see what I wrecked if anything.

9.jpg

Hold my beer and watch this!

8 minutes ago, acem said:

Hold my beer and watch this!

Yup. I should clarify at the noise I clutched but the tractor still moves and drives.

Which one made the noise?

did the one with cast wheels slip on the rim and make the noise?

Check the hubs all over too. One might have cracked. 

Posted (edited)

The one with the clutch problem and the steel pressed rims did the noise actually the radials slipped first. I will look at the hubs this weekend when I go back I had not thought of that. If I get it to load I will put the video up of it happening.

Edited by VacDaddyt
add more info

Sounds like Sir Isaac Newton was the winner...

• Haha 1

What gear were you using on both tractors ? how high did the front ends gets were you able to look down the exhaust pipe ?  better to try that on dirt roads  so you can also see which tractor gets the best traction with the tires lol 

I would like to make a constructive comment and that IS: "Destructive testing is not generally a good idea on a piece of equipment that is used to create livelihood".

Good luck with your testing!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

What gear were you using on both tractors ? how high did the front ends gets were you able to look down the exhaust pipe ?  better to try that on dirt roads  so you can also see which tractor gets the best traction with the tires lol 

Left 1 right 2nd, didn't get very far before the clutch slipped and a cracking noise happened so threw the towel to  go lick the wounds. Have not found anything but am going to split it soon.

Just now, VacDaddyt said:

Left 1 right 2nd, didn't get very far before the clutch slipped and a cracking noise happened so threw the towel to  go lick the wounds. Have not found anything but am going to split it soon.

Ok sorry hope you figure it out good luck 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, oleman said:

I would like to make a constructive comment and that IS: "Destructive testing is not generally a good idea on a piece of equipment that is used to create livelihood".

Good luck with your testing!

these are my therapy tractors--when work is real lousy I got something at home to wrench on. p.s sold the left one and the loader-- now I can buy something different and smaller to wrench on.

Edited by VacDaddyt
word correction
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 11:38 AM, VacDaddyt said:

So I am concerned that the clutch is not quite right on one of my 560 tractors so when the SIL was around last week I made a little test for the neighbors to gawk at. I hooked them both together to see if it would slip. Well It takes a lot but now I am concerned about the loud crack noise that we got out of it and stopped, happened only once. I have pulled the covers off and spun the lower shaft around not finding any problems. I am thinking to raise one side and spin it again. Afterwards I tried to see if the gears would make noise by loading it down with the brakes but got nothing. Is it possible the M+W hub slipped taking up slack on the keyway could be my noise? I knew it was a risk on black top and we did leave a mark to remember it by. Sorta was fun, just got to see what I wrecked if anything.

9.jpg

What is the difference with the rear wheels? Replacements or a later style? 

Michael H.😀

8 hours ago, Michael Halsall said:

What is the difference with the rear wheels? Replacements or a later style? 

Michael H.😀

one on the left has factory cast centers and the one on the right has pressed steel rims you see these mainly for bolt on dual wheels but pullers like them because they're lighter and the hub is stronger

On 7/14/2020 at 9:38 PM, VacDaddyt said:

9.jpg

i seen some guys that pulled a non cut tire class try to road sharpen their tires by hooking each tractor together like you did and getting on the county road they lived on and pull each other, they blacked the whole road out and ruined to sets of tires because they didn't turn their tires around backwards

Well got it split this afternoon. Clutch disk is toast, down to the rivets .250 thick yet. Pressure plate doesn't look as bad as it could have been but still enough wear. The flywheel bugs the **** out of me-- doesn't look chewed up at all but the step if I am measuring correctly is around 1.435 which is too much. Why surface a flywheel and not do it right? The shaft that goes into the pressure plate cover is worn just far enough I should change it out but still has flat spots on the outside diameter.  Looks like they got grease everywhere but in the throw out bearing which is very loose. The act of taking the greasy slimy flywheel off  just about is giving my back an ache thinking about it. Pondering how much $ to throw at a parade tractor and still feel right about it.

flywheel.jpg

pplate.jpg

ppl facing.jpg

disk thickness.jpg

IMG_2785.jpg

broken clutch.jpg

apart brtake.jpg

Throw out and shfts.jpg

........perhaps a more fun way for the neighbor's to ''gawk'' at.......:rolleyes:

Mike

post-157-1208676243.jpg