Not what you want? Get the welder!

One of our recent projects. When they don't make the wheels you want, get the welder. We started with 16" rims and widened to 21". We usually use 18" rims, but wanted all the offset possible, so we started with 16's this time. A few pictures of the project and one of the tire mounted.

KIMG1683.jpg

KIMG1684.jpg

KIMG1686.jpg

KIMG1689.jpg

KIMG1691.jpg

• Like 12

Looks good. What size tires are you using? 

Looks like lots of work to get that done but I really like the result. Have heard you mention doing this before.  How much time do you have in 1 wheel?  Any idea?

4 hours ago, Gearclash said:

How did you cut the rim?  I might have to do something like this to get 18” rims for one of my CIH horses.  18x42 rims for it are unicorns in the US.

Sometimes we set up the cutoff saw on a stand close to the wheel then rotate the rim to cut it off. This set I cut off with the right angle grinder and cutting wheels. We put a line on the rim first, then score it all the way around. We continue scoring all the way around before cutting through, this keeps the line nearly perfectly straight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Looks like lots of work to get that done but I really like the result. Have heard you mention doing this before.  How much time do you have in 1 wheel?  Any idea?

It takes me four hours if it goes well. It is all stick welded too by the way. Takes 45 rods to do one wheel.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
16 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

It takes me four hours if it goes well. It is all stick welded too by the way. Takes 45 rods to do one wheel.

Dude, You NEED a wire welder! I lived with only stick for a long time, don't regret buying a wire machine one bit. Projects like rims are perfect for wire.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Dude, You NEED a wire welder! I lived with only stick for a long time, don't regret buying a wire machine one bit. Projects like rims are perfect for wire.

Yeah, it is on my someday wish list.

Okay, so my rim project has been derailed by the four remotes on this tractor. As I told Jerry I will work on getting some pictures and the process of getting those on there. I don't know if it has been done before, but the boys said I did as much standing there looking at it and thinking as I did building. It wouldn't be nearly as hard to do another one now. This one was quite a job. I will post another topic "4 remotes 1466" when I get some more pictures gathered. 

Thanks for the interest in my projects.

Matt

• Like 1