looking for some info on Engine repower for TD8 etc

Not sure how to properly describe what I'm looking for because I've never seen one;  only heard it was part of a package Komatsu offered sometime after they bought Dresser.  I was told they marketed a repower kit to put the 4BT Cummins in several places where the old 4 cylinder "German"  was original equipment.  We get called about an adapter plate and flywheel quite often to put Cummins in a variety of different machines where the little 4 cylinder Nuess engines were standard.   I do remember when it was first talked about and I think it was just parts from a newer version of the TD that had a Cummins in from new,  packaged up to make a more desirable track machine out of the older ones.     

I would like to beg, borrow or buy one of them.Any pictures, part numbers or other information about what they offered would be greatly appreciated, Been asked to build a similar kit and think it would be smart to look at what the factory did.

Thanks

ed

TD-7E an TD-8E had the German Diesel, the 8 being turbocharged. The next series, the TD-7G and TD-8G had the Cummins engines. I don't know if the 7G was non turbo or just turboed with less horsepower. I know that a few of the E 's were changed to the Cummins and I think there was some type of kit available. Perhaps you could get info from a dealer that was in business then and still is now.  I have heard that Winmill equipment in New Hampshire is good. Might be worth a call. Pede, a member of this forum would

know the name of a dealer in Benton, Il. I have done parts business with them and they were helpful.

DWF

Thanks, running it on the used parts Hotline for a day or two. Found a thread on here from 2009 that had some info as well.  Will try a dealer or two, been  told the parts lists were not computerized at that time. Gotta find fiche or books.

ed

Try FP Smith (707)864-1122. They bought most parts out of the depot's when komotsu dumped the Dresser lines. Maybe they would have the "kit" you're looking for, or at least the parts books/info.

Thanks guys,  thought about smith just didn't get time to call,  Recovery has been good just takes a long while to gain back strength.  And I only started feeling like myself about a week ago,  lost 25 lbs which wasn't all bad!  but mostly was muscle mass. It seemed to effect my short term memory for a few weeks and had just kind of felt real "blah" ; not depressed just kind of no drive left. The last day or two starting to get some ambition back!  And we are getting some sales set to roll.

I also tore up a knee joint. Dr says he told me not to do anything strenuous and I don't really think I did but pretty sure the virus was key to it. I Don't know how or why but it started paining with out any reason.  been about 2 weeks of gradual improvement there. but somethings torn and I guess an MRI is next step;

Thanks for checking on me

ed

• 3 weeks later...

Archived