Is this Red fender toolbox IH? or Later Cat? or BOTH? photos.

Lids are the same size, the red 1 doesn't have a side seam plus the bottom and sides are 1 piece.
DSC03679.jpg

DSC03681.jpg

This is a Cat box from the 50"sDSC03692.jpg

Yellow 1 has hard 90* bottom corners, the red 1 has rounded radius ed bottom corners.  
DSC03694.jpg

I have not turned many over,but would of said the red one is the real Cat. I believe there are 2 sizes bigger Ca'st got a longer box than a D 2 or 4. It could be both are the Cat boxes just different vintages. I will look in the shed as I have one Cat box off out there.

Did Harvester even offer a fender toolbox???  I can't find any brochure photos showing it???

yes, IH offered a "fender mounted toolbox". I found it listed in the parts book for the TD9. Hard to find, if you look in the chassis section that shows all the sheet metal around the operators seat, it is listed there, NO drawing of it, but at the end of the section it is listed with a part number and says to see "details of assembly". There it lists the number and the brackets to mount it. 21 inch box, and the red one shown in your photo is exactly like the one on my TD91 with Drott loader. I think Drott took the IH box and mounted it on the left side of the loader framework. your box looks exactly like mine, even the elongated mounting holes in the bottom. Drott drilled 4 holes in the top toward the front to mount the left armrest pad.  that sadly let water inside the box and the bottom of mine is completely rusted out.

George

7 hours ago, trucker1 said:

yes, IH offered a "fender mounted toolbox". I found it listed in the parts book for the TD9. Hard to find, if you look in the chassis section that shows all the sheet metal around the operators seat, it is listed there, NO drawing of it, but at the end of the section it is listed with a part number and says to see "details of assembly". There it lists the number and the brackets to mount it. 21 inch box, and the red one shown in your photo is exactly like the one on my TD91 with Drott loader. I think Drott took the IH box and mounted it on the left side of the loader framework. your box looks exactly like mine, even the elongated mounting holes in the bottom. Drott drilled 4 holes in the top toward the front to mount the left armrest pad.  that sadly let water inside the box and the bottom of mine is completely rusted out.

George

Here it is, same box for the TD9 and TD6

IH Tool Box TD6 TD9.jpg

My book doesn't have those illustrations for the tool box and tank lubricator. Thanks Louie!

George

I took this toolbox from a 9-92 Loader.

It sits on the front of my tractor & has tools, D-shackles & spare pins inside.

011.JPG

012.JPG

If my memory serves me right, both Cat and IH used the same supplier for tool-boxes - hence the look-alike.

Had one of those boxes on every dozer we ever had, older ones were mounted on the fender right beside the seat and usually got pretty beat up, 20c had it right behind the shift tower and like to collect dirt behind it, later discovered 4 short threaded pipes(for the lack of a better term) on the plate to the right of the seat that fit the holes in the box.   

Here it is on my 14A

DSC01339.JPG

12 hours ago, john@walker-plant.co.uk said:

If my memory serves me right, both Cat and IH used the same supplier for tool-boxes - hence the look-alike.

Wouldn't suprise me.  We suspect that AC 45s and early Cat 12s have the same brake assemblies

On 7/17/2020 at 5:58 AM, john@walker-plant.co.uk said:

Would it have been Waterloo Industries? They also made the Craftsman (Sears) mechanics rool around tool boxes and top chests, they also made tool boxes and brackets for another company also located in Waterloo, Iowa.

Guy that sat next to me ordered & expedited the toolboxes we put on ag tractors at FARMALL. They made terrific deals on stuff if you picked it up at their plant. Only one other guy in our dept. Even owned a pickup, so the plan that never came to be was the guy next to me would order everything, and Him and I would take the 140 each way mile trip for a pickup load of toolboxes.