International T-9 Diesel

IH OAK

50 minutes ago, oldiron29 said:

Your hour meter I see in the picture, it is just below your generator little gray box.

Thanks!

Is this what you mean?1980850632_IMG_6567-Copyedit.thumb.JPG.18620764687580254ad4a0739052db96.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Got it home.

The headlights and tail light aren't stock. We found one original light in the barn. 

The clutches are all free.

The engine is stuck.

It has 4141 hrs. on the clock.

The guy had one 6 volt battery and one 8 volt.

We only found one side panel. 

IMG_7220.thumb.JPG.09d3b8817f89f7b74888648deae5ea8b.JPGIMG_7222.thumb.JPG.a4caba699fb0ab113dc63109a6dad9be.JPG

• Like 2

On 7/14/2020 at 9:33 PM, hardtail said:

If the diesel side quit you would be able to continue to run the gas side

The gas side is only capable of idling the engine to warm it up for diesel operation. There is no throttle control or governor. You might be able to limp the tractor around on gasoline but there is no way you'll be pushing dirt.

• Like 1

I was just trying to help determine if it had diesel side issues or engine which it appears unfortunately the latter, some say atf-acetone mixture, KOO swears by carb cleaner, whatever your unseizing magic potion fill the offending cylinders and hang a 5 gal pail of sand off the hand crank and patience and gravity may prevail.

The crawler would move on the gas side if running, definitely wouldn’t develop any appreciable power but blade less so it couldn’t push anything anyway which probably accounts for it’s decent condition 

Hopefully you can locate the second side panel

• Like 2

16 hours ago, hardtail said:

I was just trying to help determine if it had diesel side issues or engine which it appears unfortunately the latter, some say atf-acetone mixture, KOO swears by carb cleaner, whatever your unseizing magic potion fill the offending cylinders and hang a 5 gal pail of sand off the hand crank and patience and gravity may prevail.

The crawler would move on the gas side if running, definitely wouldn’t develop any appreciable power but blade less so it couldn’t push anything anyway which probably accounts for it’s decent condition 

Hopefully you can locate the second side panel

I believe that it is stuck from setting for 25-35 years.

One of my mechanic friends advised me to put a 50/50 mix of diesel and engine oil in through the spark plug holes while holding the compression release open. Once it has set a while we'll put the dozer in fifth and hook up to the zetor in first low. He has volunteered to get on the crank and we'll put the biggest battery on and get a heavy sombody to hang onto a big pipe wrench on the PTO with a 8 foot or so pipe on it. 

I was extremely surprised that none of the clutches are stuck being all of them were left engaged for 25+ years.

hate to burst your bubble,... but the only way to have it running again is to remove the head and see what you have going on in there. then go from there.  and your mechanic friend is wrong , you will break stuff doing it his way. the rust in cyl.s is stronger than him. and lots of times if the engine turns a bit doing that you have only mad matters worst you have stuck it harder yet! i have pulled many engines apart from sitting and wont even think of doing it his way. and i am a mechanic also. take your time check it out with head removed and you might end up with something usable in stead of a pile of scrap after.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, rustred said:

hate to burst your bubble,... but the only way to have it running again is to remove the head and see what you have going on in there. then go from there.  and your mechanic friend is wrong , you will break stuff doing it his way. the rust in cyl.s is stronger than him. and lots of times if the engine turns a bit doing that you have only mad matters worst you have stuck it harder yet! i have pulled many engines apart from sitting and wont even think of doing it his way. and i am a mechanic also. take your time check it out with head removed and you might end up with something usable in stead of a pile of scrap after.

I was wondering about that. The main reason I haven't done that is the price of a head gasket. the only one I have been able to find is $190.

The compression release lever doesn't lock and doesn't seem to open the valves.

4 hours ago, IH OAK said:

I was wondering about that. The main reason I haven't done that is the price of a head gasket. the only one I have been able to find is $190.

That's another reason to take the head off.

DWF

• Like 1

A head gasket is cheap in comparison to finding other engine parts for old iron. Hunt up King of Obsolete 's post in the construction equipment section here. But I must say he is just lucky to make some of his old iron run that has sat in a lake for years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IH OAK said:

The main reason I haven't done that is the price of a head gasket. the only one I have been able to find is $190.

Lmfao!!!!

You thought this was gonna just run without spending more money? Oh, God I'm laughing so hard. $190 won't even get this project started, and you are already complaining about the price of parts? 

I’m going to point out I don’t think some of you guys are doing your best efforts to help out a young man that has shown incredible interest and has now put some skin down of his own on a project, now I know you are not obliged to help him out but some seem to have a personal angle to criticize anything he says and does and given the state of a lot of youth these days I think he is displaying some of the right stuff we should be encouraging, maybe on your road in life you have forgotten that your were not an expert at 17, I give him kudos for continuing to return here but if you don’t want to support him please try not to oppose him

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, hardtail said:

I’m going to point out I don’t think some of you guys are doing your best efforts to help out a young man that has shown incredible interest and has now put some skin down of his own on a project, now I know you are not obliged to help him out but some seem to have a personal angle to criticize anything he says and does and given the state of a lot of youth these days I think he is displaying some of the right stuff we should be encouraging, maybe on your road in life you have forgotten that your were not an expert at 17, I give him kudos for continuing to return here but if you don’t want to support him please try not to oppose him

2x

• Like 3

@hardtail

I'd like to put out that at 17, I may not have known it all, but I had a family that supported me.  I also was aware of what I didn't know, and my parents helped (at 17 they only made suggestions as they raised me pretty much to adulthood by then and did not interfere much) me from making bad decisions.  Bad decisions like buying something large and expensive that was broken that neither I nor my dad knew how to fix. (That is actually a bad example because dad was a farmer and mechanic, having worked at IH before going full time farmer.  He taught me long before I went to tech school.)  They taught me to have a good head on my shoulders and to figure things out.  I'm sure they would have taught me that Internet forums are a supplement, and recreational, but not a substitute for "real life" friends and people you go to for guidance..... but the Internet didn't exist back then.  

I don't know what you "feel" the purpose of this forum is, but I haven't read anywhere that it is a place for kids to seek life advice in.  I haven't seen where we are required to support children who make bad decisions, or are allowed to make bad decisions by poor parents.  I don't see anywhere that states I have to support people who are trying to educate themselves by doing something far beyond what they are both financially and technically capable of.  I don't see anywhere that says I can't state my opinion of how I perceive a situation to be, whether solicited or not.  

Bottom line: if you want to play parent and mentor, be my guest.  I for one am raising 5 kids (9-15) and mentoring at least one recent high school grad who has become a friend of mine.  He too wants to learn the tech trade, but as one should do in life, only uses the Internet as a tool, not a substitute for a personal relationship with a mentor. I don't want to play parent on here too, and personally think we should encourage him (the op) to spend his money on better things like continued education, or future life and NOT big hunks of rusty iron that drain money from grown men who worked a lifetime to earn that money to play with.  Sometimes being a mentor means saying what needs said, not what someone wants to hear. I honestly think anyone who does support him is setting a bad example.  I'm am OK to agree to disagree on this subject.

Good day. 

19 hours ago, IH OAK said:

there is a small spring behind the carb on the switch over mechanism , if it breaks it will not lock it on the gas side.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IH OAK said:

Believe the Navy CB motto is "we can accomplish anything, the impossible just takes longer!!"

By todays standards the head gasket is not that expensive, for a comparison an overhaul gasket set for a little GM 3100 V6 cost me around $200. in 1999. Yea, I overhauled the engine  and within 2 months the trans axle went bad, sold it for scrap with all my time and $$ spent on the project. 

Nice looking tractor, at least you are lucky enough (to apparently) have a whole machine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oleman said:

Believe the Navy CB motto is "we can accomplish anything, the impossible just takes longer!!"

By todays standards the head gasket is not that expensive, for a comparison an overhaul gasket set for a little GM 3100 V6 cost me around $200. in 1999. Yea, I overhauled the engine  and within 2 months the trans axle went bad, sold it for scrap with all my time and $$ spent on the project. 

Nice looking tractor, at least you are lucky enough (to apparently) have a whole machine.

Or $350 for one DV-800 head gasket.

Even if you don't have the money to work on it now, it was saved from turning into a Toyota................That is important enough, the rest can happen at a later time.  I have things sitting here for decades that I haven't got to yet, but they are under roof and not deteriorating or turning into scrap.  In due time.

• Like 2

One thing I am going to point out here. Carefully remove head. Carefully lift gasket. If it is still complete and looks good you can reuse the old one. Paint it with silver paint. I will get flamed hard but in a pinch the old one can be reused and is better than the new one you buy. JD 2 cyl, mm moline sand old ihc tractors we fixed for old timers you could mak do. I would pull head inspect and clean it up a bit and reinstall. It is just your time.

32 minutes ago, dale560 said:

One thing I am going to point out here. Carefully remove head. Carefully lift gasket. If it is still complete and looks good you can reuse the old one. Paint it with silver paint. I will get flamed hard but in a pinch the old one can be reused and is better than the new one you buy. JD 2 cyl, mm moline sand old ihc tractors we fixed for old timers you could mak do. I would pull head inspect and clean it up a bit and reinstall. It is just your time.

Hey now, I thought I was the only one who did that......Some of the 2 cylinders around here had copper head gaskets, we would anneal them and use them over, and over, and over again...........Don't know enough on the gas start diesel to know whether that is a good idea or not, but if you have the time, what are you out if it doesn't work?