5288 Transmission

TB5288

I think I gave a problem starting with my 5288. I was working with it today when an unusual noise started wirh the speed lever in 5th 6th. Hard to explain the noise, like soft ticking noise. Sounds kinda like noise transfer through metal. Does it even if you're not moving,  but has to be in 5th,6th position and clutch pedal up. Push the clutch in and it stops, as you inch up on the clutch pedal you can hear it start again. Can also hear it outside the tractor. Everything works fine. Any ideas what's going on? I haven't removed filters or cracked drain plugs yet.

9 hours ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

If ur not having a problem with shifting.  Maybe it knocked a tooth off the 5-6 gear.

Mike

Transmission in 5th, clutch in, no noise. You inch up on the clutch and the noise starts. This is long before the tractor starts to move. It's like when the hydraulic clutch pressure hits, this noise starts. Is pressure applied on the speed side of things before the master clutch engages? I would agree with missing tooth theory, just trying to understand why I hear it before tractor starts moving. I realize some gears are always spinning.

FWIW, the 5th/6th gear was one of the improvements when IH went to the 50 series updates shown on bulletin S-4800. The pitch/angle of the gears was changed for improved reliability of 5th/6th gear. I think I've only ever seen a couple 5th/6th gear failures in 50 series over the years. I attributed that to the fact that most tillage work around here was done in either gears 1st/2nd or 3rd/4th.

S-4800 #1.PNG

12 hours ago, TB5288 said:

Transmission in 5th, clutch in, no noise. You inch up on the clutch and the noise starts. This is long before the tractor starts to move. It's like when the hydraulic clutch pressure hits, this noise starts. Is pressure applied on the speed side of things before the master clutch engages? I would agree with missing tooth theory, just trying to understand why I hear it before tractor starts moving. I realize some gears are always spinning.

Yes speed engages them master.  U can call me anytime

Mike

On 7/14/2020 at 4:02 AM, SDman said:

FWIW, the 5th/6th gear was one of the improvements when IH went to the 50 series updates shown on bulletin S-4800. The pitch/angle of the gears was changed for improved reliability of 5th/6th gear. I think I've only ever seen a couple 5th/6th gear failures in 50 series over the years. I attributed that to the fact that most tillage work around here was done in either gears 1st/2nd or 3rd/4th.

S-4800 #1.PNG

Done improvements then stopped making tractors, were not seen in any new tractors