Was VERY fortunate to have a set of axle duals given to me recently by a forum member.... Thanks Dale!!

Anyone know the proper thread type/size for the studs to bolt the rim to the hub?  I wanted to chase them but don't want to mess them up in the process.  Need to get new U-bolts for the one side - hope to find some decent ones at a wrecking yard before having to buy new.  Those are nice'n heavy - bet they charge a small fortune for them too!

3 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Was VERY fortunate to have a set of axle duals given to me recently by a forum member.... Thanks Dale!!

Anyone know the proper thread type/size for the studs to bolt the rim to the hub?  I wanted to chase them but don't want to mess them up in the process.  Need to get new U-bolts for the one side - hope to find some decent ones at a wrecking yard before having to buy new.  Those are nice'n heavy - bet they charge a small fortune for them too!

2 hours ago, IHC5488 said:

Are they the IH 9 bolt hubs?

Here is some pictures of them. 

605311C6-6F1E-4A97-B8BA-EA62D96ABDFC.jpeg

D469FB81-72F5-4BBF-8121-4EBBE2C83C21.jpeg

248F6B26-3A37-41B0-BFF9-40C595B88168.jpeg

841B6DAD-6E22-4519-9F93-69473C05A875.jpeg

If I'm not mistaken the threads are 5/8 nf thread if that's what your asking. I had trouble once with the duals loosening up on a tractor with 5/8 wheel bolts so I drilled and rethreaded the holes to 3/4. No more trouble after that.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

If I'm not mistaken the threads are 5/8 nf thread if that's what your asking. I had trouble once with the duals loosening up on a tractor with 5/8 wheel bolts so I drilled and rethreaded the holes to 3/4. No more trouble after that.

Sounds good.

Had that same problem on my 966.

Another option and what I did.

Bought longer bolts and added a nut to back side. Works well, even have a couple holes with no threads left. Nuts keep em tight.

That's the info I'm looking for!  Thanks guys.  Look at Dale go with the pictures, nice! 😁

And the best way to get the U-bolts out of them is to just keep putting Liquid Wrench on them and soaking them to get rust freed up?  Have one that is being a real b%#$h! to come out.

If you want the bolts to come out any time this century, heat-n-beat is your best bet. Make sure you put a nut on the end of the bolt before you start smacking it with a hammer to protect the threads.

Even then you may end up cutting the bolts and pushing them out with a press.

Products like liquid wrench help, mostly when things are just a little stuck, but they're not miracle workers. There is so much surface area in that hole and it's wedged so tight with rust, it would take years to soak through, if ever.

23 hours ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

Here is some pictures of them. 

605311C6-6F1E-4A97-B8BA-EA62D96ABDFC.jpeg

D469FB81-72F5-4BBF-8121-4EBBE2C83C21.jpeg

248F6B26-3A37-41B0-BFF9-40C595B88168.jpeg

841B6DAD-6E22-4519-9F93-69473C05A875.jpeg

So tried to price new U-bolts today - dealer tried to tell me that the U-bolts aren't original?  Should be a $400 "clip" basically a half moon shape piece with two bolts going into them with nuts on.  So over $600 later x 4 if I was to replace them all according to the parts diagram!  LMAO, that ain't gonna happen!  I am pretty sure I've seen lots of dual hubs set up like the one in the picture Dale supplied - I'm sure not everyone Jimmy Rigged them with U-bolts!??

Matt... as you can see by Dale's picture.... previous owner (before Dale) already screwed up the end of the one U-bolt by NOT using a nut on it.  So that one is toast already - just a matter of getting it out of the hub. 

So heating up the U-bolt red hot isn't going to effect the strength of the hub?  Thinking transfer of a lot of heat into it from U-bolt.

Take them to your local blacksmith shop.  He can get them out and possibly fix the hammered threads or make new u bolts.  As for the dealer, the parts he is talking about won't work plus he is nuts at that price.  If you needed them for a 1466 or 86 i've got a set like that I'd sell for 200 each but they are for a 3.5 inch axle.

jerry

• Thanks 1

I bought Unverferth  hub ubolts from worthington ag and they were cheap and have worked great 

31E63E2C-1331-4C5D-9F5A-25AEFF533D1F.png

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

So heating up the U-bolt red hot isn't going to effect the strength of the hub?  Thinking transfer of a lot of heat into it from U-bolt.

I was thinking of heating the hub.

If you heat the bolt you need to let it cool before you try to beat on it or you will simply rivet it permanently into the hub. The premise is the same as welding a nut on a snapped off bolt.

Won't affect the strength of the hub. You could heat the hub red hot with no ill effects if you let it air cool but you aren't going to come even close to red hot by heating the bolt.

• Thanks 1

U-bolts are commonly made at truck frame and spring shops.  I can't tell you how many u-bolts I've had made over the years. 

Your CIH parts guy doesn't know how to look up parts, and you too should learn how, so that you can save yourself the headache of going to the dealer to be told a line of sh!t. I've torched those ubolts off before so I could pull axles and had no problem getting new ones.  No, they aren't super cheap; such is life.  Basically you need some bolts.  No big deal.