rcb

560 diesel won't turn over 1400rpm, thoughts?

Ok, this year the 560 has been capped out at 1400rpm. Last year it would run up to 2400. I've changed fuel filter, checked the fuel line at the pump... plenty of flow. Any other thoughts? Linkage is fine. Moves smoothly. Kinda scratching my head on this one.

Maybe your metering valve in the pump is bad? Also, you should check the return line going back to the tank. If it is plugged, it will shut the fuel pump down. 

• Like 2

Your pump governor is bad 

• Like 1

Ditto on checking the return fuel. Otherwise, it is likely in the governor/internal pump. 

• Like 1

return in bottom of tank is plugged.

• Like 1

Had this with my 706. After checking all the obvious stuff. It was the pump governor.

• Like 2

Yeah, I think the governor is the culprit... maybe the governor control spring (367999R1). I opened the top again and was inspecting the linkage and the governor control spring fell off of the arm on its own. I pulled the spring apart as much as I could by hand so as not to over do it. Reassembled it and picked up 100 rpm. They're cheap enough. I'll see if I can order one tomorrow. Thanks for all the help. I did blow out the return as well. It flows well. 

However, that got me to thinking. This spring, after having it sit idle all winter while I painted/repaired the tractor, I went to start it and noticed the throttle had been pulled all the way back to full throttle and had likely sat like that since possibly October/November until April. Not sure if it's the actual problem but I seems like it might be a possibility.

• Like 1

as others should have stated  try running with return open or in can

was there ANY evidence of blockage  or sand grit /internal failure

if not tank /filter blockage or the spring, then would expect danny to  say #1 flex ring governor out and needs full service and change to the solid ring

• Like 1

Most 560's were old enough and did not use the elastacast ring on the governor weight retainer.

The older used a mechanical spring to dampen the governor.

But the older used a short advance piston that would bind.

If the advance piston is about 1" and the pump looks like the same as 1456, then it can be the ring.

If a shallow advance, that is where I would start first.

Metering valves usually cause galloping/hunting and not loss of rpm's.

Unless the high idle screw came loose and worked it's way in. A thought and easy to see.

If the pump hasn't seen a shop in years, it may be time and take the nozzles too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mmi said:

as others should have stated  try running with return open or in can

was there ANY evidence of blockage  or sand grit /internal failure

if not tank /filter blockage or the spring, then would expect danny to  say #1 flex ring governor out and needs full service and change to the solid ring

I didn't spot any debris. I had to rebuild the pump about 5 or 6 years ago. I did switch to the solid ring at that time as I had destroyed the original when I failed to reinstall it correctly after replacing the umbrella seals. It was an expensive lesson.

17 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

if the pump hasn't seen a shop in years, it may be time and take the nozzles too.

Yeah. You're right there. I'd like to send in all the injectors too. There is one shop a couple hours away that supposed to be able to rebuild them. Past time I'm sure. I've been slowly replacing a section at a time. Going the Johnny Cash route it seems, with the emphasis on Cash. lol.

• Like 2

Those governor springs will last almost forever, no more that they are being compressed. That loose feeling governor spring is not likely your problem. I've refrained from mentioning the seemingly obvious broken flex ring, because I knew you rebuilt this one several years ago. Injectors in those are very simple and if it's not missing, I'd leave them alone. New parts are hard to come by, and expensive when you do need them. Many times on those, I'll soak the whole thing complete in my carb cleaner bucket, then wash off, and flush them on the pop tester to blow the junk out of them. It's nearly impossible to get them completely drip free, which is likely one of the many reasons those were retired years ago lol!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Injpumped said:

Those governor springs will last almost forever, no more that they are being compressed. That loose feeling governor spring is not likely your problem. I've refrained from mentioning the seemingly obvious broken flex ring, because I knew you rebuilt this one several years ago. Injectors in those are very simple and if it's not missing, I'd leave them alone. New parts are hard to come by, and expensive when you do need them. Many times on those, I'll soak the whole thing complete in my carb cleaner bucket, then wash off, and flush them on the pop tester to blow the junk out of them. It's nearly impossible to get them completely drip free, which is likely one of the many reasons those were retired years ago lol!

Good thing you belong to the forum. Lots of advice gained from experience.

• Like 3

My 560 acted kind of like that once.  Turned out to be a broken pressure regulator Spring.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Ok, finally got around to messing around with this again. Now, on my throttle lever, when I pull back, the throttle arm on the pump stops where the lever still has two more marks left. The springs on the throttle arm allow you to pull further, but obviously all it does is take up spring at that point.

I had backed off the throttle stop before a half turn or so without clipped the tamper wire, but no real effect. So this time, I clipped the wire and backed it off many turns where the arm can travel most of the travel of the lever. I can now get to 1800. I could back it off further, but I'd rather really fix it than just cheat the issue.

I haven't went back out to check if the arm itself can be clocked or if it is keyed. Seems like it was keyed to my memory. I did check the regulator spring. The regulator pistol was a bit sticky so I cleaned it and got it moving freely. Just an update really. Other than that, it's been running fine. At least now I can get to PTO speed.

The link between governor fork and metering valve is adjustable. Just as important as link between governor and carb on a gas. As I said adjustable. May have slipped.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 9:46 AM, rcb said:

Ok, this year the 560 has been capped out at 1400rpm. Last year it would run up to 2400. I've changed fuel filter, checked the fuel line at the pump... plenty of flow. Any other thoughts? Linkage is fine. Moves smoothly. Kinda scratching my head on this one.

the 560 is rated at 1800 rpm. the 660 runs 2400 rpm.  but the pump could have  been set up.

• Like 1