Cool project, but unusual

vtfireman85

With the drive wheels at the front and idlers at the rear I wonder how this thing will perform, but it’s stone simple and pretty cool. 

4 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

What do you do with a lawn mower that needs a half track? Cant think of anything. 

Really overkill but I sure could have used it the other day as I was sliding into the pond! Called my wife to rescue with a chain.

Probably just an exercise and having fun.

4 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

I doubt it works very good. So one question I have is why? What do you do with a lawn mower that needs a half track? Cant think of anything. 

317 would work well on a snow blower, would also be ok if you had a big wet spot in your lawn, or just because you can

• Haha 1

I have a little M371 Bobcat skid steer that I have considered making a set of tracks for it just like those. The little thing (1800 lbs.) doesn't get around very good when it is muddy. Also, the "Isavetractors.com" are pretty good people. A couple times I emailed and called them planning to order some parts from them for a couple projects.. While explaining what I needed, they told me about a fix that need not cost anything.  No Charge.  Look up their website if you have time. I think they are on the east coast, maybe Mass., or Maine.

7 hours ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

"Najciekansze Wynalazki Domowej Roboty 2018...???

That's the title on this YouTube Video!!

Can you Imagine a mother standing on her back steeps calling that "Name to come home for supper"!!!

Riki Tiki Tembo........

10 hours ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

"Najciekansze Wynalazki Domowej Roboty 2018...???

That's the title on this YouTube Video!!

Can you Imagine a mother standing on her back steeps calling that "Name to come home for supper"!!!

Thats funny, I remember when I was little and I heard my full name from my mother I was in for it, then if she used my middle name it was deep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Somebody thought enough of the idea to go into production?

Saw this at a ranch show a few years back.

1016519844_IMG_20170615_0947170382.thumb.jpg.cf141e83d83edd38392a29a8e8318ec9.jpg

After 10+ years mowing with Cub Cadets with Firestone lugged tires on, the one complaint I have about my zero turn is the turf tires slip & spin a L-O-T!  The zero turn is actually heavier than my 982 is minus the wheel weights, and the zero turn has most of the weight on the drive wheels,  guess maybe 75%. Zero turn has an odd size, 24-12.00x12,  982 has 26-12.00x12. Putting the 26's on the back of the zero turn would solve the slippage problem but sure screw up the way the thing mows.  SON even commented how nice the yard looked the other day and he was the one who smarted off a year ago, said, "Ya should bought a Deere",  I would buy a couple goats to eat the grass first,  now he works at a competitive brand of zero turn mowers.

Those tracks would solve my slippage problem, probably smooth the ride quite a bit too. Looks like it would slow my travel speed. My zero turn is supposed to go 12 mph but I can't stay in the seat that fast. I mow 4-5 mph. And they look like I could run that fast.

1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

After 10+ years mowing with Cub Cadets with Firestone lugged tires on, the one complaint I have about my zero turn is the turf tires slip & spin a L-O-T!  The zero turn is actually heavier than my 982 is minus the wheel weights, and the zero turn has most of the weight on the drive wheels,  guess maybe 75%. Zero turn has an odd size, 24-12.00x12,  982 has 26-12.00x12. Putting the 26's on the back of the zero turn would solve the slippage problem but sure screw up the way the thing mows.  SON even commented how nice the yard looked the other day and he was the one who smarted off a year ago, said, "Ya should bought a Deere",  I would buy a couple goats to eat the grass first,  now he works at a competitive brand of zero turn mowers.

Those tracks would solve my slippage problem, probably smooth the ride quite a bit too. Looks like it would slow my travel speed. My zero turn is supposed to go 12 mph but I can't stay in the seat that fast. I mow 4-5 mph. And they look like I could run that fast.

I worked for a guy with a Woods zero turn, was the first one I had seen that looked like a conventional zero turn. That thing would fly but it was so damn rough you could not stay in the seat. 

My Scag will toss you out of the seat on the rough sections. It's a Cougar model with a bin and a tail wheel and on real rough sections that makes the back of the seat hit you. Slowing down is all I need to do but sometimes forget the holes/ruts hiding under the grass. Apparently there are newer models with suspension.

I think tracks would tear up the lawn worse than wheels when the soil is soft.

3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

the one complaint I have about my zero turn is the turf tires slip & spin a L-O-T!  The zero turn is actually heavier than my 982 is minus the wheel weights, and the zero turn has most of the weight on the drive wheels,  guess maybe 75%. Zero turn has an odd size, 24-12.00x12,

Have heard of guys putting ATV drive tires on. Finding something better than the turf tread for my CC RZT in 18 8.50 8 is really tough. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Somebody thought enough of the idea to go into production?

Saw this at a ranch show a few years back.

1016519844_IMG_20170615_0947170382.thumb.jpg.cf141e83d83edd38392a29a8e8318ec9.jpg

When i first saw these i looked them up they're for mowing wet land, marshes,things like that and hills.we got some hills this thing would be nice, I remember the first thing we did when we got a new zero turn is put a tractor lug style tire on the rear because turfs wouldnt hold on a hill and im here to tell you once you start sliding on a zero turn you aint stopping till the both or you hit something, its worse than being on ice

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Have heard of guys putting ATV drive tires on. Finding something better than the turf tread for my CC RZT in 18 8.50 8 is really tough. 

How’d you quote me with Dr E’s post??

6 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

How’d you quote me with Dr E’s post??

I could say it's my extraordinary internetual skills. 

But truthfully, like most things I do, I have no idea???

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, 88power said:

hills.

Got a hill in front of the house I'd like to mow. Can't go up it, afraid will come over backwards. Try to mow down and once you lose traction on the rears, there ain't no steering. It get's western in a hurry. Mother's a real weanie when it comes to stuff like that. I'd show her how it's done but usually have some place else to be when the time comes.??‍♂️?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Got a hill in front of the house I'd like to mow. Can't go up it, afraid will come over backwards. Try to mow down and once you lose traction on the rears, there ain't no steering. It get's western in a hurry. Mother's a real weanie when it comes to stuff like that. I'd show her how it's done but usually have some place else to be when the time comes.??‍♂️?

i was on a road side once and this hill wasn't fit for a billy goat to be on i tried go across the top with the zero turn i was on wasn't trying to mow it. i just wanted to get to the other side well there wasn't enough room on top because of a fence, i started to scoot tired keeping it going forward but the front wheels turned and pointed down the hill and thats were i went, this was a pretty busy road at the bottom lucky no one was coming and the only thing that was damaged was the seat after i crimped the cover