Phase one complete!

18 hours ago, DT Fan said:

I'll take them off just for you MTO. Actually, I'm not in love with them either. They may go on Craig's list.

No problem with the tip. have conversed with sugarmaker a lot on the orange board, great guy! I wish there weren't so many states between us, would like to visit.

Those fenders are much better than those steel ones can't be kept tight,plus if you ever drive on wet roads of any kind you will love them. Regardless I think you got a good deal. I might be interested in  them if they are smaller than the ones on my 1456.

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, DT Fan said:

I don't know, just thinking out loud. Will just have to see what's available. Could rebuild the gasser, wouldn't be a bad thing to have one around.

It's not a diesel or turbo for that matter but still a fan!

I have a 756 gas burner to. Kinda different but I like it. Obviously it's your tractor but i wouldn't just kick the gas engine to the curb without a little investigation.

It is very cool it's the first one off the line in 69.

No serial numbers registry on 756's that I know of. I offered to do them when I started the 826 registry but it never got any traction. 

Nice tractor by the way. 👍👍

• Thanks 1

I do hope you keep the front fenders. 

13 hours ago, shot_gun_red said:

I got a number for a guy who has a d310 in a 715 over in nebraska if you want it!

I would investigate that lead.

I got a little time to work on this old gal Sunday. Got a lot of the linkages freed up, park lock, throttle, T/A, fast hitch controls, and pto. Somehow, the adjusters on the fast-hitch were free, put the greese-gun to them and everything else I saw. Went through about a half a can of JB 80 too. The big victory for the day was removing the left brake cover, the wheel/tire were locked up. I was glad to see it was just the brake, had some wonders about possible tranny problems. The range shifter still isn't moving, going to need more time to investigate this.

Phase two of this project got cancelled yesterday, so I will have to move on to phase three or plan C maybe. Had looked an an 826 on July 3, decided to pass on it because of the front end being in pretty rough shape. When I found this 756, my thinking was buy the 826, swap the front-end, wheels and centers, and pit the fast-hitch on it. Have a good looking working 826 and a 756 to work on at my leisure as good parts became available. Well, the 826 sold the day I got the 756 bought. No big deal, will be happy to go forward with this one.

Someone mentioned a D/DT 360 as a replacement for the 291. That has me pretty intrigued. Just not sure where to find one. Any leads would be appreciated.

I'm going to start a project thread on this and probably one on the 1460 as well. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way!

Need to talk to the local Red guru and get his thoughts, he may have some leads on an engine or parts for the one in it.

How's this for irony? Being's I'm an AC guy, finally got around to looking at the radio and what do I see? I don't pay too much attention to tractor radios. it's generally too loud to hear them and the commercials drive me up a wall. I'm not holding my breathe that it will ever work! Would really like to know how long this poor thing sat outside.

IMG_0495.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aaron, I'll probably be making quite a few runs to your place of employment over the course of this project. 

On 7/12/2020 at 4:16 PM, DaveinSD said:

A co worker just overhauled a 291 last winter, his ran but had a severe rod knock. He ended up being able to hone the cylinders, and was able to turn the crank. I would tear into it before writing the motor off, I’ve heard the “bad block” excuse more than once simply because someone simply did not want to work on something.

Dave, I talked to the mechanic that the auctioneer hooked me up with yesterday. He said he didn't know where said auctioneer got the idea the block was bad. he hadn't worked on it but heard water got in the exhaust, just stuck. Now with the luck I've had with 'stuck' engines, I'm still not holding my breathe! I will pull the head off and see what things look like.

I do really like the idea of the DT 360, were these a truck engine only? I know they used the D 360 in tractors, ever the DT? Looking through the engine section I see Ed has a really sexy manifold available for them.

Need to get headed to the farm, maybe have time to tinker with her a bit. Plenty of grass to mow, weeds to spray, varmints to combat...

LikeLike

I believe that the DT 360 was only offered in trucks, as I am pretty sure it did not come out until after ag was gone. I’m sure you could make one work in a tractor with the right mix of parts.

• Thanks 1

When I got to the farm I found this. No big surprise, was flat when I went to preview. Took the air tank with me to aid in getting it moved home. I wondered how long before this happened. had enough time to get it removed but will have to wait for another day to get it fixed. Was just tickled to find an 11l-15 with air in it! Dad got most of the goody out of it but hey I can move her around if need be.

IMG_0499.JPG

3 hours ago, DaveinSD said:

I believe that the DT 360 was only offered in trucks, as I am pretty sure it did not come out until after ag was gone. I’m sure you could make one work in a tractor with the right mix of parts.

Some construction equipment had DT 360 engines. 

Finally took time to pull the plugs out of the old girl this morning, not good. Anti-freeze came pouring out of no. 2 cylinder. I assume it got enough water in it that it broke the sleeve when it froze. So much for getting it running on the cheap!

• Sad 1