Phase one complete!

I went to an auction today. There was a 756 gasser there that interested me. Downside, motor bad. Upside, lots of good parts. 18.4X38 Super all traction tires on wedge-lock wheels had my attention. Also has a great WFE, hydraulic seat, tilt steering, good fast hitch, etc. Long story short, I bought it. When I went to look at it Friday I knew I wanted to bring it home. It was only about six miles from the farm. Looking at a non-running tractor, hoe do I get this thing home? Called the local towing company, (Barney's) we talked price, no-brainer. After I got the bid I called and they set the truck, worked out great!

I have a short term and a long term plan for this tractor, you will have to bear with me a little. Nobody answers their gd phone so the short term plan is holding right now. The long term, I may try to find a diesel to transplant. Maybe a 5.9? Who knows at this point?

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG

• Like 4

Lot there to work with.

8 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

You could drop a 5.9 in there? Would you want strictly mechanical?

I don't know, just thinking out loud. Will just have to see what's available. Could rebuild the gasser, wouldn't be a bad thing to have one around.

It's not a diesel or turbo for that matter but still a fan!

• Like 1
Just now, jimw said:

Nice looking rig . Kinda some unique attachments, can we ask what u paid?

$2425, probably a lot for a non runner. I was thinking $2500 max, darn auctioneer got about 98% of it! Spent $214 to get it home, think it was money well spent. if the rest of this deal works out it will be well worth it.

Does anyone keep track of serial numbers for 756?

Oh DT, btw, met Sugarmaker today.

Gave me a great abbreviated 2 hr tour.

Thx for the tip.

2 minutes ago, MTO said:

Myself, I think you did great!

But PLEASE take those front fenders off of her!

I'll take them off just for you MTO. Actually, I'm not in love with them either. They may go on Craig's list.

No problem with the tip. have conversed with sugarmaker a lot on the orange board, great guy! I wish there weren't so many states between us, would like to visit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a bad looking tractor. would be nice to see her up and in use again. Good luck with whatever you do.

• Thanks 1

Looks like a nice tractor to fix . Those fenders are sought after by some. I threw out a set from the 1566 black stripe we have before I realized that someone else would want them

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, DT Fan said:

$2425, probably a lot for a non runner.

I’d give $2500 for that straight of a tractor. If you get it running that’s a lot cheaper than anything out there today for that HP.

I think I would try compound on a spot of that sheet metal and see what happens.  Looks like it would clean right up.

Cousin has a small 2002 NH with loader 35 hp and busted rear end housing.  He got sticker shock on a new one.

That’s a good looking 756!!!! It looks real good with the 18.4-38 rears!! I agree with Wi IH, put a 360 in it, keep it IH powered!!
If you can’t make up your mind, and it really starts to make your head hurt, I’ll give you $2525 for it!!!

• Thanks 1

i think you did alright, i know 5.9's are a dime a dozen these days but i always wanted to put a dt 360 in one and keep us updated

• Like 1

What's wrong with the gasser? You said it was bad. Bad as in rings stuck been sitting or bad as in hole in oil pan? It appears someone took really good care of it right up until it quit. then she sat out. Cheapest thing would be to fix gas. I would think a german or 360 would be next cheapest thing. 5.9 would be cool but pricey. I just overhauled my d310 in mine and really like it. But I wont say there will never be a 5.9 sitting in it. Between the hard to find parts and crappy overhaul parts were forced to use, sometimes I wish I would have just spent more and put one in. 

Looks like good bones for a project, whatever you decide to use. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kal said:

Where was the sale at?

Kal, it was about two or three miles East of Colfax Tractor.

An Ih 360, would be a good option, turbo would be nice too! I'm open to all possibility's on this and not in a big hurry. The only thing I know about the 291 that is in it is what the auctioneer told me. He said "the block is bad". I can't see any hole where a rod tried to leave? He did give me the name of a mechanic that gave that diagnosis, think I will try to contact him and talk in person. Just talked to the auctioneer, got the gentleman's name and phone number, will contact him this week. 

34 minutes ago, 88power said:

i think you did alright, i know 5.9's are a dime a dozen these days but i always wanted to put a dt 360 in one and keep us updated

88power, I will keep this up to date as much as possible going forward. The range shifter, park lever and TA don't move, going to tinker with those a little today. May look at the left brake a little too. I had the combine out yesterday to start on some things I found while doing corn last year, that will get most of my time right now. The wood bearing blocks in the front all need changed, have the parts, just need the time.

21 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

What's wrong with the gasser? You said it was bad. Bad as in rings stuck been sitting or bad as in hole in oil pan? It appears someone took really good care of it right up until it quit. then she sat out. Cheapest thing would be to fix gas. I would think a german or 360 would be next cheapest thing. 5.9 would be cool but pricey. I just overhauled my d310 in mine and really like it. But I wont say there will never be a 5.9 sitting in it. Between the hard to find parts and crappy overhaul parts were forced to use, sometimes I wish I would have just spent more and put one in. 

Mule, kind of what I thought when I went to look. I need to find a place in a shed for this thing, going to be tough.

Buying a non-runner is kind of a pig-in-a-poke kind of deal, who knows what I'll run into going forward.

A co worker just overhauled a 291 last winter, his ran but had a severe rod knock. He ended up being able to hone the cylinders, and was able to turn the crank. I would tear into it before writing the motor off, I’ve heard the “bad block” excuse more than once simply because someone simply did not want to work on something.