How do i support a m transmission, parts supplers.

Dell

So I found out that my bull gear bearing are junk and the axles need to come out how do i support the rear of the transmission properly.  i was thinking i woul stableize the front with my splitting stand . but not sure how to properly support the rear end. any pic would be help full. also  can you recommend any good suppliers of used and new transmission parts.

i always supported them under the pto on the rearend housing with 6x6 wood blocks or if you have a flat firm floor good jack stands will work also. As for parts there have been some whole M's selling around here for dirt cheap most even running but it maybe different in your neck of the woods

If no extras on tractor and axle housings not leaking at transmission housing I sometimes just block up under each axle housing or under drawbar just behind the angle iron drawbar drops if a regular drawbar. Remove tires and wheels and axle cap bolts and push axles out with jack bolt and sleeve between the bull gear or other axle retaining washer. First between axles if both being removed . Make sure all balls or parts are cleaned out of the axle and trans housing. Would  go ahead and remove top cover instead of working through PTO hole. Chances are you find something else wrong. Just my opinion though.

I use blocks under the transmission/rearend housing, and use jackstands on the axles if the wheels aren't attached.

As for bearings, give me the IH part numbers either from the parts catalog or physically from the bearing races. The letter series bearings are all standard bearings and cross reference to multiple commercially available bearings. I have several cross reference lists I can use for you. You won't have a problem finding a high quality replacement part.

PS I see you're from Burnt Hills. One of my best friends is from there. I swam on a team with him in college. Nice place.

• Thanks 1

Here is a picture of a transmission stand that I manufacture for holding the rear housing of tractors.  The stand in the picture is from a Farmall 450 that I parted out a few years back.  I have used this same stand on a Farmall C, H, M, 350, 560 and a 1256 that we did a TA job on this past winter.  It just takes a few different attachments to make is fit.

003.jpg

• Like 5

I have a complete M transmission  from a tractor I parted out .....

• Like 2

On 7/10/2020 at 10:02 AM, DWV said:

If no extras on tractor and axle housings not leaking at transmission housing I sometimes just block up under each axle housing or under drawbar just behind the angle iron drawbar drops if a regular drawbar. Remove tires and wheels and axle cap bolts and push axles out with jack bolt and sleeve between the bull gear or other axle retaining washer. First between axles if both being removed . Make sure all balls or parts are cleaned out of the axle and trans housing. Would  go ahead and remove top cover instead of working through PTO hole. Chances are you find something else wrong. Just my opinion though.

Take my advice, replace the axle housing gaskets while you are this close.

I did not and later regretted it and then had to replace mine.

Yes, do one side at a time and be careful as those housings are heavy.

• Like 3