56/66 series Shift Lever Stub Shaft Replacement?

Anybody got experience replacing this stub shaft that the shift handle pivots on?  Guessing  after I remove the inner  shaft, use a slide hammer setup to pull it out?

Haven't ever replaced one. Got the other pieces that pivot on it also, but those are the easy part.

Thanks

20200708_211058.jpg

• Like 1

I usually get a 3/4" diameter bolt into that shaft into the left side and drive it out from that direction. It works better to take the TA linkage assembly off so you can get a straight shaft in there to drive it out.

I'd be also asking if there are any tricks for pulling the new one in without damaging it, angle the grease hole should go, etc.  Not being silly....I haven't done this either, and I'd be afraid of cracking the casting etc, if I didn't do it right.  Maybe reassurance you can beat them in and out without damaging anything if its that easy?  

The groove goes to the 9 o'clock position and the 2 grease holes at 12 and 6. Just use a bolt with a flat washer to drive them in. There's a bushing inside the shaft I usually replace too. 

KIMG0959.thumb.JPG.3778c3add2ee659657681b3a64a41a07.JPG

KIMG0957.thumb.JPG.fe3729fc77ec018c987e826e0fefd96b.JPG

KIMG0958.thumb.JPG.f80da9d7fd90ea50090053121211bb54.JPG

• Like 1

I drove mine out with a with a rod from the TA side.  I dont remember it being too hard to get out.

Driving the new one in was also non eventful......Need to pay attention to the orientation of the new one and the bushing as was mentioned

5 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

I usually get a 3/4" diameter bolt into that shaft into the left side and drive it out from that direction. It works better to take the TA linkage assembly off so you can get a straight shaft in there to drive it out.

The kit I got, the linkage pieces are going to have to be honed out so they will slide onto the stub shaft. They wont quite fit over. They wont go onto the old one either.....always something. 

Thanks for the tips and info!

I've often wondered about replacing this part as well, I think I may have to someday when I start working on my 1456, the shifting on it is loose and worn.

This past spring, I posted this repair on the 56 series shifters on my 1206.  I used a tire spoon and drove the stub out of the dash.  (Must remove the TA mounting first.) I used a seal driver to  install the new one.  I can't remember if I made a separate thread or used the winter project thread.

20200330_201222.jpg

20200329_154403.jpg

20200401_194950.jpg

20200401_205509.jpg

• Like 2
22 hours ago, NCIH1466 said:

I found this prior thread on the topic to be of help to me:

https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/110634-56-and-66-series-sloppy-shifter-rebuild/

I referenced that topic as well. 

Replacing this stub shaft and pivot levers  has been a terrible experience so far.

The  stub shaft is  not quite right, none of the lever pieces slide on because of out of round and/ or sized to small.

I had A&I check other stock.  As I suspected,  they said, hit and miss, shaft oversized a little, other pieces undersized, and out of round. Got 1 to slide on but was tight.

So , dont order a IH5666KIT , looks like most everyone gets them from A&I.

Junk!

The worn out levers wont slide on the new stub shaft.... and the new levers wont slide onto the worn stub shaft!!

That's how screwed up  the kit is....think about that for a bit🤪

Have to call on my friend with a machine shop, need to do some work on the pieces to get it to work....man what a can of worms I opened up.....

You other guys made it look so easy, I'm jealous!!  But I will get it done with 2 days of work that I can't hardly charge for. Should be  more like2 hrs maybe!!

20200715_220030.jpg

1 hour ago, ole 815 said:

Replacing this stub shaft and pivot levers  has been a terrible experience so far.

The  stub shaft is  not quite right, none of the lever pieces slide on because of out of round and/ or sized to small.

I had A&I check other stock.  As I suspected,  they said, hit and miss, shaft oversized a little, other pieces undersized, and out of round. Got 1 to slide on but was tight.

So , dont order a IH5666KIT , looks like most everyone gets them from A&I.

Junk!

The worn out levers wont slide on the new stub shaft.... and the new levers wont slide onto the worn stub shaft!!

That's how screwed up  the kit is....think about that for a bit🤪

Have to call on my friend with a machine shop, need to do some work on the pieces to get it to work....man what a can of worms I opened up.....

You other guys made it look so easy, I'm jealous!!  But I will get it done with 2 days of work that I can't hardly charge for. Should be  more like2 hrs maybe!!

20200715_220030.jpg

I did my 966 this last winter, I got everything from Hy-Capacity.  Everything fit perfectly.

21 minutes ago, Mike56073 said:

I did my 966 this last winter, I got everything from Hy-Capacity.  Everything fit perfectly.

Thanks,  Need to run over there tomorow fill out some paper work ;) and get a kit.  

Ordered a shaft for speed tranny shift deck.  Another piece of junk from A&I, snap ring groove in wrong spot. 🤪

27 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

CIH not sell these parts anymore? 

From CaseIH, $703.75 for the three castings, the stub shaft, and the bushing.

For 529490R1 $171 from CaseIH, $77 from A&I.

For 529489R1 $237 from CaseIH, $68 from A&I.

For 397987R1 $128 from CaseIH, $55 from A&I.

For 404855R1 $151 from CaseIH, $38 from A&I.

For 398274R1 $16.75 from CaseIH, $35 from A&I. (D*mn generous of them...)

My concern is for all that extra money, do you get anything different? If CaseIH ran out of NOS parts, they are likely getting new ones from the same place that A&I does.

The pictures of these parts on the A&I site show HORRIBLE workmanship. Frankly ole 815 got a good set from what I can see.

I'd have them made.  Cost would probably be similar, and they would fit. 

I used  hy-capacity parts on mine and they all fit and went back together as they should.

I didnt have to do any aditional machining , just paint and put back together

This setup is from a Snap On bushing driver and puller set. The pivot shaft can be pulled out and pulled in easily and quickly.

This kit is still available from Snap On last I checked but is now outrageously expensive.

DAE47E00-0EC1-48FC-805E-37A8DCB6A333.thumb.jpeg.feed2f44b84dea2a7244d76096207c00.jpeg

9 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

From CaseIH, $703.75 for the three castings, the stub shaft, and the bushing.

For 529490R1 $171 from CaseIH, $77 from A&I.

For 529489R1 $237 from CaseIH, $68 from A&I.

For 397987R1 $128 from CaseIH, $55 from A&I.

For 404855R1 $151 from CaseIH, $38 from A&I.

For 398274R1 $16.75 from CaseIH, $35 from A&I. (D*mn generous of them...)

My concern is for all that extra money, do you get anything different? If CaseIH ran out of NOS parts, they are likely getting new ones from the same place that A&I does.

The pictures of these parts on the A&I site show HORRIBLE workmanship. Frankly ole 815 got a good set from what I can see.

I have put in all those parts from A&I multiple times and have had no complaints.  

4 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I have put in all those parts from A&I multiple times and have had no complaints.  

Yeah but how long ago? It's likely they had to resupply and the current batch of parts were made by the low bidder on the job.

8 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Yeah but how long ago? It's likely they had to resupply and the current batch of parts were made by the low bidder on the job.

I am a dealer for A&I, sold a bunch of them, installed a bunch more.  Haven't sold any since early last winter(2019), and I since I closed the garage I haven't installed any since Dec 2018 but had there been any issues, one thing I will say is my rep makes it right.  I will mention this though, the last few orders I have sold, very few items were from China(2 items on a 2 page list).  Mexico, India, Italy, England, and gasp............the USA.  I know for a fact some of the things on that list I sold previously were made in China in the past, so things are looking up.  

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

I am a dealer for A&I, sold a bunch of them, installed a bunch more.  Haven't sold any since early last winter(2019), and I since I closed the garage I haven't installed any since Dec 2018 but had there been any issues, one thing I will say is my rep makes it right.  I will mention this though, the last few orders I have sold, very few items were from China(2 items on a 2 page list).  Mexico, India, Italy, England, and gasp............the USA.  I know for a fact some of the things on that list I sold previously were made in China in the past, so things are looking up.  

Tp ,  like I had mentioned, they checked some warehouse stock, and they have the same issues as the kit I got.  I sure hope they do something about it. 

I got my kit fixed today. Friend has a machine shop.

Same day I had shift deck shaft from A&I was machined wrong also🤪

Sucked for guy owning tractor,  sent him to Red store. $69 , A&I would have been $30 but it was made wrong.....

10 hours ago, Maynard said:

This setup is from a Snap On bushing driver and puller set. The pivot shaft can be pulled out and pulled in easily and quickly.

This kit is still available from Snap On last I checked but is now outrageously expensive.

DAE47E00-0EC1-48FC-805E-37A8DCB6A333.thumb.jpeg.feed2f44b84dea2a7244d76096207c00.jpeg

That's neat tool! Thanks for sharing.

Today when friend fixed my kit. He made me a driver to install stub shaft, so I did come away from experience with a new tool! 😄

10 hours ago, ole 815 said:

Tp ,  like I had mentioned, they checked some warehouse stock, and they have the same issues as the kit I got.  I sure hope they do something about it. 

I got my kit fixed today. Friend has a machine shop.

Same day I had shift deck shaft from A&I was machined wrong also🤪

Sucked for guy owning tractor,  sent him to Red store. $69 , A&I would have been $30 but it was made wrong.....

Did you notice where it was made?  Possible they might have changed their supply chain on it?  I might have some of those parts yet in my inventory sitting here, would be neat to compare.  

On 7/15/2020 at 11:17 PM, Mike56073 said:

X2!