.22 Hornet?

Sledgehammer

• 1 month later...

So.....after being on order almost a month I got my hands on a 22 Hornet last night.  Decided on a CZ 527 American.  After looking it over this morning I mounted up a 2-10x Burris scope and did a little shooting. Got it on paper at 50yds and was impressed.  Light recoil and not too noisy. After a few rounds at 50 I moved back to 100yds. I wanted a 100yd zero so after a little adjusting I was in the money.  Best 3 shot group was 1/2” at 100yds.  (Factory ammo). Bottom pic is a steel swinger. The hole in the target Is 1/2” square for reference. Just a little more tuning and it was off to get ready for work.  I’m pretty impressed so far with a stock gun shooting groups like that out of the box. 

24BCC041-69CD-4898-9183-460B152E8247.jpeg

B6862485-2B3D-4F85-B388-0DB34404B694.jpeg

445144B0-4E31-4D1D-9903-B9B2167CB19A.jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

So.....after being on order almost a month I got my hands on a 22 Hornet last night.  Decided on a CZ 527 American.  After looking it over this morning I mounted up a 2-10x Burris scope and did a little shooting. Got it on paper at 50yds and was impressed.  Light recoil and not too noisy. After a few rounds at 50 I moved back to 100yds. I wanted a 100yd zero so after a little adjusting I was in the money.  Best 3 shot group was 1/2” at 100yds.  (Factory ammo). Bottom pic is a steel swinger. The hole in the target Is 1/2” square for reference. Just a little more tuning and it was off to get ready for work.  I’m pretty impressed so far with a stock gun shooting groups like that out of the box. 

24BCC041-69CD-4898-9183-460B152E8247.jpeg

B6862485-2B3D-4F85-B388-0DB34404B694.jpeg

445144B0-4E31-4D1D-9903-B9B2167CB19A.jpeg

Congrats!  Looks like a keeper!   

• Thanks 1

....no  chrome  /stainless steel....??.....no looking like some weirdo  futuristic   'leggo''   creation???.......no plastic???? and   what !!!    it shoots as good as the bloke can hold....;)........

...that is a firearm to be proud of    , Todd.....Excellent choice.....you will have a lot of fun with that firearm......:)

...when you come down under..... remember ...??.......to pick up those two  ''breaking down''  saw blades....... bring  the Hornet......and I can introduce   you to the abundant 'Hare " population     we have on the farm.....How about that !!!

Mike

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mike newman said:

....no  chrome  /stainless steel....??.....no looking like some weirdo  futuristic   'leggo''   creation???.......no plastic???? and   what !!!    it shoots as good as the bloke can hold....;)........

...that is a firearm to be proud of    , Todd.....Excellent choice.....you will have a lot of fun with that firearm......:)

...when you come down under..... remember ...??.......to pick up those two  ''breaking down''  saw blades....... bring  the Hornet......and I can introduce   you to the abundant 'Hare " population     we have on the farm.....How about that !!!

Mike

No fancy shine on this one. Just blued steel and a wood stock. My first impressions on the gun itself were good. The trigger guard doesn’t have a high luster bluing like the rest of the gun which is strange in my mind. The barrel is free floating. It has a single set trigger which breaks nicely.  Mauser style action is just as it should be. I was shooting Hornady factory loads packing a 35gr v-max bullet. I have a box of these to refill the brass with later. After seeing factory ammo shoot like that I don’t see a need to try a 40gr bullet. I do hope to shoot it out to 150 or 200yds in the future to work up a dope card but it will be fine with a 100yd zero for me. 

2 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

looks real nice sledge, you are going to enjoy that one for sure... watch out gophers!

The problem is, I’ve pretty much got all of them I know about.  Cleaned them up with the 22-250 a couple weeks ago while I was waiting on this to arrive. Looking forward to some real world testing though. 

21 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

The problem is, I’ve pretty much got all of them I know about.  Cleaned them up with the 22-250 a couple weeks ago while I was waiting on this to arrive. Looking forward to some real world testing though. 

I got a few over this way that could use "cleaned up" :) C'mon over 

• Like 1

The CZs are nice guns. I have one in 17 HMR. I was going to get a Savage with a bull barrel oh, and I am sure it would have shot great, but once I saw the CZ I was hooked on the mini Mauser action the nice blueing and a nice Wood stock.  The only one I could find locally had a mannlicher stock and that became a problem because the barrel channel was machine incorrectly. I could not get the pressure off the side of the barrel without making this stock paper thin on one side, so I ordered a normal stock to replace it with. The mannlicher was pretty cool but I just couldn't get it to shoot right even after scraping the barrel channel.  With the new stock it has been a nice little groundhog gun.

• Like 1

I have several CZ's, 512 .22 WMR, 452 .22LR, 455 switch barrel -LR, 17HMR, 22WMR., and a 527 heavy barrel in .223....all excellent shooters and good lookers.....still machined steel,  not stamped parts.....good choice on the 527 in Hornet.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, hanniedog said:

80 pound Boxxer  type dog kill everything.

15lb black type cat, kill nothing...quite useless, need more guns.

1A13EB51-0077-4D9A-84A2-9703C8177E63.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

15lb black type cat, kill nothing...quite useless, need more guns.

1A13EB51-0077-4D9A-84A2-9703C8177E63.jpeg

Easy.....thats no match for any of the guns mentioned???

?

3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I may need to try one, can’t get past the origin 

They are the real deal.... and the mini Mauser of the 452 is excellent.....too bad they dont make them anymore.  Tight bores and accurate.   CZ stuff is a great value for the quality of construction.

Dont confuse them with the cheap Turkish shotguns.

They are the modern day Bruno.....a very respected European rifle manufacturer.   Much like Navistar is to IH trucks.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Have you used the set trigger yet?  Very crisp, and extra light when "set".

Yes, it doesn’t set as easily as I would like but it is nice and crisp going off as it should be. I wish the trigger had a normal curved shape instead of being so flat but that is personal preference more than a deal breaker. 

20 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

They are the real deal.... and the mini Mauser of the 452 is excellent.....too bad they dont make them anymore.  Tight bores and accurate.   CZ stuff is a great value for the quality of construction.

Dont confuse them with the cheap Turkish shotguns.

They are the modern day Bruno.....a very respected European rifle manufacturer.   Much like Navistar is to IH trucks.

I let an old stock 527 in .204 Ruger get away a while back. Been kicking myself ever since.

3 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

They have been making guns since the 1930's.  Made lots of Mausers in WWII.   They are a world class manufacturer in my opinion (FWIW).

I have a CZ 27 my Grandfather brought back from Germany in WW2. Pic below that I’ve shared before. 

I would rather have American made but the quality is there on this rifle and other offerings I have shot from CZ. 

5335F510-4763-4A0D-BCE2-C8857361376B.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...